South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 15-11-2012, 03:47 AM

Default Diesel motorway car replacement help

misses does 170 miles a day to work and back round the magic roundabout, so all motorway miles.

we currently have decided to sell the focus she has loved for last 6 years and move to a larger diesel saloon.

requiring a level of comfort and some gadgets to keep her occupied when stuck in traffic i ahev short listed the below:

VW Passat upto 2005 - dated looks, especially interior, been recommended by mechanic friend as bullet proof.

jaguar x-type 2.0d sport - girlfriend likes looks and purchase prices as seems to be value for money. been told quite reliable, though i'm not entirely convinced.

peogeot 407 2.0 hdi exec - falling down and probably off list rapidly.

audi a4 tdi - not sure what model year, but on list.

vw passat tdi 2.0 tdi sport 2005 onwards - been put off a bit as some expensive items can go wrong, eg rear elexctric handbrake caliper £550 from dealers! ouch!

budget £3k to £5k.

anyone got any constructive comments, advice, experiences? really having hard time deciding, normally i am happy with a £2k runabout and don't expect much for my money. but with more at stake i'm being a bit picky. girlfriend really liked latr model passat but advive and the fact that a well spec'd model with low mileage is a little of my price range has caused us to rethink.

cheers peeps.
Old 15-11-2012, 05:31 AM
Nige

Rav 4 D4D best money I've ever spent. In a word "Brilliant"
Good all round vision (female's need it) safe comfortable bullit proof. Hold there value. Excellent mpg on a run.
Old 15-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Bronze Member

Iv got a Audi A4 TDI Sport 130 and I think its really good. Had it mapped so pulls a bit better, but on the whole comfortable and good economy (50-55mpg on motorway) And i paid 3k for it so bottom of your budget.

Happy hunting
Old 15-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

I'm been looking at the same sort of thing but for £6-10k as i'm going to be changing jobs shortly and may well do a load of motorway miles. Obviously dependent on where i find a job, but most of the stuff i'm looking at is somewhere around the M25. If something turns up round the corner, then i can just use the scoob!

So far, I've shortlisted from:

Vectra SRI 1.9 CDTI - nice big saloon, driven them loads (work pool cars) and surprisingly comfy on a long haul. Always get a lot of stick but effortless on the motorway.

Mazda 6 2.2d - never driven one, but good reliability (i've heard). Look pretty good, might be worth a quick check to see whats out there?

Citroen C5 2.0hdi (2008 onwards shape) - Don't know much about them but i think they look great. Engine wise, the french diesels are excellent. Electrics might be another matter....

Also looking at Audi A4s, or newer shape mondeos - although heard of a lot of diesel reliability issues with these. Don't personally like the Passats other than the new CC - just think the saloons are a bit dull.

I'd steer away from the Pug 407, heard a lot of issues. I've got a 406 2.0hdi and i've heard the 407 just isn't built as well.

Volvos or Saabs?
Old 15-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

A vote here for any of the VAG TDi's. I've got 2001 Passat 130 Sport Estate, looking a little tired now but comfortable, has climate, trip computer and as it's the sport has a 6 speed box and a bit more torque and you can get loads in the back and 50mpg. Only major cost was the Clutch and DMF but to be fair it had done 150K on the original. Now got 164K and doing 500 miles a week.
Heard bad stories about the injectors on the later 2.0 TDis. Just check for damp carpets and make sure all the electrics work.

Shane
Old 15-11-2012, 11:54 AM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Again, any of the VAG's are good although the odd electrical glitch is known

Ford Mondeo TDCI is probably one of the nicest to drive.

Totota's will just keep going.

Personally, I would avoid the vauxhall, only as I have had (and am having) a really bad time with my mrs's Zafira 1.9 CDTi (same engine as the vectra). The thing has never run right, has had everything replaced now inc egr,dpf,glow plugs,3 heaters, air con, and i have forgotton what else!) but still isnt any better. It has cost me alot of money over the last two years and is about to be sold!
Old 15-11-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Personally, I would avoid the vauxhall, only as I have had (and am having) a really bad time with my mrs's Zafira 1.9 CDTi (same engine as the vectra). The thing has never run right, has had everything replaced now inc egr,dpf,glow plugs,3 heaters, air con, and i have forgotton what else!) but still isnt any better. It has cost me alot of money over the last two years and is about to be sold!
Does it do a lot of mileage or just short runs? I know the DPF had a lot of issues with short trips. If i get the job i'm applying for i'll be doing 100 miles a day.
Old 15-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

Don't think I could not have an estate again.

They can be used as a dumper truck

A viewing Platform at Brands Hatch

A Wedding Car

And there's plenty of room for a loft conversion

Shane
Old 15-11-2012, 02:28 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
Does it do a lot of mileage or just short runs? I know the DPF had a lot of issues with short trips. If i get the job i'm applying for i'll be doing 100 miles a day.

I think you may be ok mate. Sarah doesnt do many miles at all, and vauxhall openly admit that the car is not good for low miles. In fact, in the words of one of the dealers, they are 'shocking'!!.

Trouble was, when I bought it it was between a 1.9CDTi design with half leather, black windows etc, or a year newer 1.6 petrol 'life' with hub caps for the same money. So, of course, the alfa male came out in me and I went for the top spec turbo diesel, thinking it would be the better car. It was only after buying it that I started to read the horror stories and sure enough, the problems began.
Old 15-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Silver Member

My vote get Mondeo ST TDCi,we are bought one and must admit great all around car.We are been on RR just have look how much running after 88k miles,but we are been very surprised when Mondeo made 160bhp(seller said has been mapped,but without the proof,we are know is not truth)

We're looked too on the VAG,but our neighbour has have lots of issues with his VAG VW TDi and we are went with Mondeo TDCi

Friend has borrowed us Roverron Synergy Tuning box(which you can simply fit on the end of fuel rail),difference is there,still we are not sure how much making,but hopefully next week should be on the Surrey Rolling Road

Jura
Old 15-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Bronze Member

If I was gonna get misses another car I proberly get her citreon ds3 they can come in funky colours some u get free road tax cos of engine size which I think it's a great saving plus I think it's more of a women's car and I think she enjoy having it lol
Old 15-11-2012, 06:34 PM

Problem with any new Citroen is depreciation i guess. I've been looking at the new C5's on '59 or '10 plates and they're about £8k for a decent mileage diesel. List price they're a 23-27k car. Don't think i could stomach losing over £15k in two years.

Guess the DS3 might not drop that badly as its a bit funkier and a smaller car, but don't count on it
Old 15-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Bronze Member

I think it's all new cars doing it I got a new 12 plate Renault traffic 9 seater and it was just over 24000 for it I be lucky now to get 17 or 18k for it and that's a lot to lose off what we got it for it seems to be a buyers market not a sellers market as the Scooby at a standard is cheap to buy
Old 15-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Authorised Trader

Steve - i've just bought a Seat Leon FR for the Mrs (although i'm using it everyday)

The 2.0 TDI engine is brilliant, and the build quality is much better than i expected.
6 speed box is handy aswell.
Old 15-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Authorised Trader

Old 15-11-2012, 07:24 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Bit of a grandad car, but the passat has to be the best bang for your buck on that list.

The early PD Vag engines, are pretty bullet proof, give great MPG no matter how you drive it and has nice driving characteristics with a really punchy power delivery...

Something like my golf would have been nice

But also the skoda's are good bang for your buck. Must be pretty good if 80% of taxi drivers use them.
Old 15-11-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEvo5 View Post
Must be pretty good if 80% of taxi drivers use them.
Yep, thats always a good measure. Normally means they're pretty reliable and cheap to fix when they do break. Octavias/Superbs, Avensis's and Pug 406's have all been the cabby favourites over recent years. Don't see many Mondeo or Vectra cabs around here though.....
Old 15-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moley_WRX View Post
Nice car and looking good with BTCC bodykit

Jura
Old 15-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Authorised Trader

That's the standard kit, i've been looking at the BTCC kit but i've been told i'm not allowed to mod this! (except for some lowering springs)
Old 15-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moley_WRX View Post
That's the standard kit, i've been looking at the BTCC kit but i've been told i'm not allowed to mod this! (except for some lowering springs)
Do the kit on the sly and then see if she notice it lol and then say its always been like it that's what I do lol most of the time she would not notice
Old 15-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby O'Neill View Post
Do the kit on the sly and then see if she notice it lol and then say its always been like it that's what I do lol most of the time she would not notice
She's a bit too clued up for that unfortunately
Old 15-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Silver Member

S60 D5 163bhp volvo 45-50mpg on motorway ,comfortable well specced and relatively cheap to buy and do starship mileage.

Last edited by CRAIGR; 15-11-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 15-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Silver Member

A4 tdi 1.9 130 i have just got one its great !!
Old 15-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Agree with Gary, don't overook the quality of the SEAT's.
We bought an Altea 4 years ago and it's been great, and as with Moley when I first drove one I was shocked how good it felt and drove.

Will defo be looking to get another one soon for my wife, probably an Ibiza Sport.
And if I cant sort this Audi out I may well trade it and get a Leon FR (although there is quite a nice BMW M Sport at the garage on the green that might get a view this weekend .
Old 15-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Authorised Trader

Clocking up 40K a year will take its toll on most, the depreciation will be a killer. I would scrub the list of everything except the Passat and Audi, both use pretty much the same engine and running gear, the 130 models are the way forward anything less can feel lazy in my opinion. The Audi is a great car to drive, I have clocked up 20K in the last year alone, not a sniff of trouble and great on the motorway sits at 80MPH giving an average 48MPG. The price would be closer to 5K for the last of the B6's with close to 100K on the clock which is light work for these engines. However considering the millage you will be doing I would probably go for the Passat as it's the cheaper of the two but will give the same reliability.
TN15 6BQ
Sales@slowboy-racing.co.uk
http://www.slowboy-racing.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/Slowboy-Rac...1909/timeline/
Old 15-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Authorised Trader

Also worth noting most Seat's over the last decade use the VW engine.
TN15 6BQ
Sales@slowboy-racing.co.uk
http://www.slowboy-racing.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/Slowboy-Rac...1909/timeline/
Old 16-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyricer5 View Post
A4 tdi 1.9 130 i have just got one its great !!
Get it mapped!! You wont regret it
Old 16-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowboy-racing View Post
Also worth noting most Seat's over the last decade use the VW engine.

seeing as VAG have owned SEAT and SKODA for over 10years there products all come out of the same parts bin.............no VAG company makes their own engines at all, they are simply re-badged to each vehicle and then a suitable ECU employed to provide the needs for a specific class

if the badge doesn't put you off (and why should it as its just an AUDI/VW with different clothes) then a SKODA Octavia/Superb are very good value

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 16-11-2012, 04:37 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie :) View Post
I have map for one of those, takes it to circa 170bhp/over 300ft/lb. Goes very well once mapped.
Old 16-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Think mine is too high mileage and tired to cope with a re-map otherwise I would have considered it.
Old 16-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie :) View Post
Im looking into it but i dont want to stress engine gbox components as its done 153k you no

where did you get yours done??
Old 16-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

Mondeo, passat, Volvo d5, vectra, skoda or anything built to do motorways all day long
Old 17-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyricer5 View Post
Im looking into it but i dont want to stress engine gbox components as its done 153k you no

where did you get yours done??
I did a bit if research and ended up going to Birmingham and got it done by Performance Torque, standard the 130 is putting out about 140bhp anyway as mine was dynoed beforehand. As Rob says mine ended up with 173bhp and 298lb/ft, been running a year with it now and still seems fine (126k miles now)

Last edited by Scottie :); 17-11-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
And if I cant sort this Audi out I may well trade it and get a Leon FR
LOL, just read this......funny how things come true....I pick the FR up on Saturday.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:56 PM

lol, nice work! I can't believe i was thinking about buying a Citroen C5... glad i dodged that idea and bought the Mondeo now!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
lol, nice work! I can't believe i was thinking about buying a Citroen C5... glad i dodged that idea and bought the Mondeo now!
Mondeo looks a cracker, so when does the baby seat get fitted in the back and the pram in the boot
Old 07-01-2013, 09:00 PM

lol

Made sure that Claire's new car was a 5 door too
Old 11-01-2013, 02:24 PM

Hmmmm, just got this email back from AMD Essex about remap of the FR

Hi Scott,

We have been doing them for quite some time now without issue. It was only very early on it was hit and miss.

We do offer several different types of DPF removal : -

· DPF delete with non-performance Remap - £599.00

· DPF Delete with AmD Performance Remap - £699.00

· Milltek DPF delete pipe and AmD Performance remap - £799.00

With the first two options we would remove your current DPF, take out the internals (the filter) and then refit it. This way it looks like the DPF is still there but it is just an empty housing. We then remap the car to ensure it runs correctly without the DPF in place.
With the Milltek version we would remove your DPF as one and replace with the Milltek delete pipe, this way you can always go back to standard.

If you opt for the performance remap with the DPF delete, not only will you have no longer have any DPF issues but the remap totally transforms the car

The performance remap that we carry out with the DPF delete takes the power up to 215-230bhp and gives an extra 50-60 lbft of torque. The remap includes a before rolling road run to test standard power. The car is then mapped on the road as well as the dyno to suit your car and the DPF delete. After this we finish with a final rolling road run so you have a printout of before and after power.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Hmmmm, just got this email back from AMD Essex about remap of the FR

Hi Scott,

We have been doing them for quite some time now without issue. It was only very early on it was hit and miss.

We do offer several different types of DPF removal : -

· DPF delete with non-performance Remap - £599.00

· DPF Delete with AmD Performance Remap - £699.00

· Milltek DPF delete pipe and AmD Performance remap - £799.00

With the first two options we would remove your current DPF, take out the internals (the filter) and then refit it. This way it looks like the DPF is still there but it is just an empty housing. We then remap the car to ensure it runs correctly without the DPF in place.
With the Milltek version we would remove your DPF as one and replace with the Milltek delete pipe, this way you can always go back to standard.

If you opt for the performance remap with the DPF delete, not only will you have no longer have any DPF issues but the remap totally transforms the car

The performance remap that we carry out with the DPF delete takes the power up to 215-230bhp and gives an extra 50-60 lbft of torque. The remap includes a before rolling road run to test standard power. The car is then mapped on the road as well as the dyno to suit your car and the DPF delete. After this we finish with a final rolling road run so you have a printout of before and after power.

I am looking to do this with the golf with amd. Some really good gains, though I will just go for a remap as its leased and I cant mess about with it too much.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Yup, you definately did the right thing. And I am pleased to report that the Zafira is continuing to be consistant (constsantly crap). Heater gone again!, and a knock from the front now!!.