South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Studio > Photography Discussion

Photography Discussion All your photographic chit chat

Old 26-04-2010, 06:32 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Default Which Camera

Right guys, hopefully you can help me out with this one. I need a new camera, mainly for work, so taking photo's of houses (inside and out), but one that I can use to get some good shots of the family/car etc. The budget isnt massive but I am hoping to keep it this side of £400. Wide angle is a must, but apart from that ????.. I am a numpty when it comes to these things, so any help would be great. I keep hearing SLR?
Old 26-04-2010, 07:02 PM
worzel

Lucky Picks up the tin opener and sets free the worms!

Mate, it's a where do you start scenario.

How far do you wat to go with photography for starters?

If it's mainly work with a few extra bits and bobs and it's not something you would take seriously as a past time, I would seriously recommend a bridge camera, something like a Fuji Finepix.

If you wanted to take it further, then there are some entry level DSLR Bundles to be had at not much more than you are stating.

I will be back in 10 mins with some details for you.
Old 26-04-2010, 07:13 PM
worzel

Again, being a Nikon man, I have gone for the Nikon DSLR Better entry level Camera.

Use the link below and have a look at the spec.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...-body/p1031458

With a lens as part of a bundle it quite a bit over your budget, but this has got a good enough spec to last you quite a while.

While you are on the site, look at Canon for the alternative view, something like a 550D.

Also, have a butchers at bridge cameras.

Ideally, you want somewhere above 8mb.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Old 26-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

A camera like this would be for the more advanced.

It's a dear camera. (boom boom)
Old 26-04-2010, 07:15 PM
worzel

FPMSL
Old 26-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quality Clive, just picked up A canon EOS 30D with battery pack and bag for £180 off a mate who has upgraded, just got to learn how to use its functions now, and with the help I had on here, got my first lens for it
Old 26-04-2010, 09:40 PM
worzel

The Sony has come of age to be honest. And the after market lens makers have woken up to the fact that it is here to stay and they are in the process of adding the sony mount to their ranks.

That was the downside of the Sony Alpha range in the first couple of years, limited lens choice.

IIRC they are about 12megapixels too, which is more then enough. It's worth a peep at Steve
Old 27-04-2010, 11:01 AM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Thanks guys. Cheers Steve, all points noted. I think I'll take a look at that link. I like the idea of a Nikon. Clive, that looks perfect mate. Looked on ebay but cant find any??
Old 27-04-2010, 11:48 AM
worzel

Steve

I have found a bit of a bargain if you are interested?

check this link for a Canon 1000D

http://www.cameraworld.co.uk

It's on the header page @ £389.00 including an 18-55mm kit lens.
Old 27-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
The Sony has come of age to be honest. And the after market lens makers have woken up to the fact that it is here to stay and they are in the process of adding the sony mount to their ranks.

That was the downside of the Sony Alpha range in the first couple of years, limited lens choice.

IIRC they are about 12megapixels too, which is more then enough. It's worth a peep at Steve
I have the a100 - there are indeed 12 megapixels - I counted them.

Old 27-04-2010, 04:58 PM
worzel

And a mighty fine choice too.

Thats a lot of pixies to count, did you use an abacus?
Old 27-04-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
And a mighty fine choice too.

Thats a lot of pixies to count, did you use an abacus?
Fingers and toes of him and subagirl, and thats alot of fingers and toes
Old 27-04-2010, 06:55 PM
worzel

Subarman has 29 toes too.
Old 27-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

I have recently brought a Panasonic Lumix FZ38.

A bridging camera and its very good and does everything you want.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...wAg#ps-sellers

It has great reviews.
Old 28-04-2010, 01:06 AM
Gold Member

Whats the better one Steve in your opinion.....

http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/ViewPro...18-55mm%20EF-S

http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/ViewPro...SUBCAT_CODE=51
Old 28-04-2010, 09:57 AM
worzel

In all honesty mate, they are pretty much identical.

I would always recommend the Nikon, but just because I have always been a Nikon man. A Canon user would say different though.

Reading the specs, I would say in all honesty the Nikon just shades it, bigger screen, better autofocus point count. But that is nit picking to be honest. And the Canon is very good.

The one point that makes the Nikon that little bit better for me is the much better low light shooting capability. That is the one thing that sets the 2 apart.

The truth of the matter is, whichever one anyone went for, would be a great entry level DSLR.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:42 AM
Bronze Member

For DSLR look at Fleabay for secondhand.

A possibility http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-EOS-30D-...item3a59b390e3

Not too sure of Nikon but do hear good things.

Otherwise you could go for something like a Canon G10 [or 11 but improvements not worth the hike in price IMHO]. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-Powersho...item2306c3e8bd

Then you could go for a good little compact point and shoot like the TZ10 from Panasonic which will also do HD

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-PANASONIC-...item588764e2aa

This has a pretty good wide lens, although at f3.3 would not be suitable for much low light stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CANON-PowerSho...item45f26b6780

Can anyone tell I'm a canon fan

Cheers

Roo

PS Love the forum, will get Oz pics up shortly.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:45 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Make sure you go to a good camera shop and try them though!

I had my mind made up on a canon Eos when I was getting mine, did all the research decided that for me it was the perfect camera, then I went to Sussex Camera centre to have a proper offline look! The guys there were really helpful and actually wouldn't recommend between the Nikon D80 or the equivalent canon (can't remember which one it was).

They gave me both to try and go outside and take some test shots with - I'm so glad I did as the canon felt light and plasticy compared to the metal bodied Nikon - the Nikon was heavier and fitted better in the hand so I could hold it steadier, I found the Canon grip too small and uncomfortable. Also I prefer the dual wheel adjust ability of the Nikon's compared to the more complex Canon system.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 01-05-2013, 08:13 AM
BANNED USER

I would like to say you that Canon or Nikon these go way back in digital photography technology research and will give you peace of mind with their products anyway good luck with your decision ..........
Old 01-05-2013, 09:21 AM

Blimey, there's a thread revival lol. As it happens, you are absolutely right, I went for a Nikon, and it's great.
Old 23-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Bronze Member

What model?
Old 23-03-2015, 02:14 PM
Gold Member

Blimey, this thread will not die...!