South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 08-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Silver Member

Default maximum boost

Hi all does any body know what max boost a standard blob wrx can take? just been given a manaul boost controller and i want to put it on im boostin a bar, would like to know maximum boost and run just under to keep on the safe side cheers!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Authorised Trader

wihout any form of remap then a BAR of boost sound s alittle greedy IMO, it "might" be safe but you'd only know by getting the AFR's, etc. checked

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Silver Member

Mine is mapped for 1.5 but goes over 1.6 on the road but I would not go that high with out some one like Simon (JGM) mapping it as do it wrong and itcan be existence.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Silver Member

Not sure if been mapped but defo not the norm 220!! were is jgm based? as i would like to use somone who knows what there doin, cant find any one in my area with rollers as imo is the only way to map a car? dont seem right mapping on the side of the road? put me right if im wrong!
Old 08-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Silver Member

He is the man for the job, think the lives just inside Kent by he does a lot of mapping at Surrey Rolling Road. He has been mapping my wrx for years and is running 352/340 at percent.

Last edited by kartingsteve; 08-12-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Authorised Trader

if your going to map the car anyhows then no need to be messing with a manual boost controller

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 08-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

You won't get any more then 1.2 bar as that's where the fuel-cut / safety limit is set on a standard map. This is the point you peel your face off the dashboard when it cuts fuel.

I wouldn't recommend any more then 1bar without getting it checked for detonation.
You may be able to run close to 1.1bar, but any sign of detonation will pull timing so you won't actually go any faster then running 1 bar without detonation.

Standard boost should be peaking at 0.95bar
Old 08-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

Cheers for the info!! i best hold on then till i get me bits sorted ready for mappin!!!! im on my second gauge and they both read 1bar? i had the same with my v-limited but that was boosting 1.5 bar standard map! that was nice and aggresive!!! untill i hit 112 n get whiplash but could overide by decellerating and back on! that was a nice car last bloke on here had it and had it goin 328bhp would like abit more than that!!! somthing about the classics they feel more aggressive were as mine smoother power all in good time! Il have to get some pics up so you all can have a nosey! and hopfully tell me bit about its history other than it sat for 8 months!
Old 08-12-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonner View Post
Cheers for the info!! i best hold on then till i get me bits sorted ready for mappin!!!! im on my second gauge and they both read 1bar? i had the same with my v-limited but that was boosting 1.5 bar standard map! that was nice and aggresive!!! untill i hit 112 n get whiplash but could overide by decellerating and back on! that was a nice car last bloke on here had it and had it goin 328bhp would like abit more than that!!! somthing about the classics they feel more aggressive were as mine smoother power all in good time! Il have to get some pics up so you all can have a nosey! and hopfully tell me bit about its history other than it sat for 8 months!
Gauges normaly over-read a touch even expensive Defi's
The power to weight in a classic makes a huge difference compared to a Newage. A newage needs to have 400BHP to match a classic with 330BHP, hence why I went back to a Classic
Old 08-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Silver Member

As much as that?? madness!! new age heavy then?? iv just come from havin a bmw e46 330ci sport and that was stupidly heavy!! the doors weigh a ton on there own lol almost smashed the glass in the scoob when i picked it up! i do love the classic if i went back it would have to be a sti ra like munks white one that car was savage! or type r not sure what it is but there definatly is a differnce! the seats dont seem to hug like the classic almost like your falling out of them round corners!! sway bar links are a must i find it very boaty
Old 09-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Silver Member

My wrx is around 1390 even with the 6 speed box so in between a classic and a sti so at 350 it's not to bad .
Old 09-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Silver Member

Is the bug and blob same weight?? or have ya stipped it out?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonner View Post
Is the bug and blob same weight?? or have ya stipped it out?
Newage STi Kerb Weight 1470Kg, 280BHP = 190BHP/Tonne
Newage WRX Kerb Weight 1395Kg, 212BHP = 151BHP/Tonne

My Classic, as standard was :
UK Turbo Kerb Weight 1235Kg, 208BHP = 168BHP/Tonne

Modifed is :
UK Turbo Kerb Weight 1235Kg, 335BHP = 271BHP/Tonne

To get the same Power-To-Weight of 271BHP/Tonne from my Hawkeye STi would of required :
Hawkeye STi Kerb Weight 1495Kg, 406BHP = 271BHP/Tonne
Old 09-12-2012, 11:59 PM
Silver Member

Wer did they put the extra weight?? didnt reallise the wrx was 208 i fort it was 220 odd? looks like iv got some work on my hands!! iv took the tow bar off lol air con is next! should gain around 6 bhp from that so ive been told!! might exchange the space saver for some tyre weld!!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Silver Member

Less weight is better, mine works out at 252 BHP/Tonne but I would need 25hp more to get to 271 BHP/Tonne.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member

Taken just under 100kg out of mine so makes it 465bhp per ton , will be looking to take about another 100kg out of it early next year

Last edited by C. J.; 10-12-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. J. View Post
will be looking to take about another 100kg out early next year
Thats going to be one hell of a ****..
Old 10-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. J. View Post
Taken just under 100kg out of mine so makes it 465bhp per ton , will be looking to take about another 100kg out of it early next year
I'd like 465bhp as it is let alone per tonne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
Old 10-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
Would think you have lost more opening your mouth .....
Old 11-12-2012, 01:16 AM
Silver Member

Thats a fair bit of weight what did you strip out??