South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 13-04-2014, 07:29 PM
Gold Member

Default Codes

I'm getting 3 codes each time she shows the light

21, 23, 33

21 Coolant temp sensor. Is this the one at the front, or the one under the manifold?

23 MAF, changed for another, throws same code though?

33 Speed sensor? Stumped here, where/what is it?
Old 13-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

isn't the speed sensor what replaces the speedo cable in boxes later than the TY752's ?
Will be in the same place but with an electrical connection.
I remember Jaffa taking it out to fit my cable when he changed my old RA box for the TY754 box I had before my current one.

The temp sensor under the manifold is the one for the ECU (The other one is for the dash gauge).
Old 13-04-2014, 07:50 PM
Gold Member

Cheers Andy. The speed sensor one has me confused, Its a cable driven speedo on mine, being a Import.
Old 15-04-2014, 07:42 PM
Regular User

Not familiar with Scooby specific codes but the crankshaft sensor is often called an engine speed sensor so could the code refer to that???
Old 15-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortster View Post
Cheers Andy. The speed sensor one has me confused, Its a cable driven speedo on mine, being a Import.
But so is the ecu. So that logic doesn't work.
The speed sensor is in the gearbox.
There is also a neutral position switch in there too so don't get them mixed up.
Old 15-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Gold Member

Oh man. A tech question I could have answered and I'm too late to the party.
Old 16-04-2014, 01:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
But so is the ecu. So that logic doesn't work.
The speed sensor is in the gearbox.
There is also a neutral position switch in there too so don't get them mixed up.
I'm confused Scott, Its a Cable driven speedo, so its a mechanical gear in the box, not a 2 or 3 wire sender?
Old 16-04-2014, 07:42 AM

The ecu still receives an input, otherwise how does it set the 112mph limit.
If there is defo no sensor in the gearbox then maybe it is derived at the back of the speedo binnacle from the cable.
I seem to recall looking at an old binnacle out at tones many years ago which had some sort of electrikary on the back.

If you get the ecu pinout off jgm's site this will tell you what the input pins are for the speed sensor and the expected voltages.
Is the car in limp mode and is it fitted with a converter/delimiter as these have been known to fail and cause limp mode.
Old 16-04-2014, 08:44 AM
Gold Member

Ah ha, I get it. That's why using a mechanical converter in line on the cable removes the speed limit.

I'll swap out the clocks at the weekend and see what happens.
Old 16-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Silver Member

i thought the 2 sensors on the left side of the box were neutral switch and reverse switch. I think I have an old speedo in the shed, will have a look for this electrical trickery yuo menttion
Old 16-04-2014, 11:32 AM
Silver Member

oh bugger, I must have binned it as it's not there.
Old 20-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Gold Member

Doh!

School boy error! My donner car, that the engine/pipes came out of....the restrictor pill had been removed.

That's one code sorted once I find a pill, or a suitable alternative.
Old 20-04-2014, 01:09 PM

What code will that get rid of?

Use a tyre valve cap with a 2mm hole drilled in the end then screw it on the pipe or solenoid bottom nipple.
Old 22-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Authorised Trader

ECU speed signal is driven off the back of the clocks, if your speedo is faulty it WILL throw this code generally and also random codes at the same time......

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 27-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Gold Member

Hazzah!!

Almost...

Changed the temp sensor over, and was still getting the same codes. So I decided to check the manifold loom. So off came the manifold. Becomes apparent that the last owner was not good at wiring...The loom had been split apart, then tapped back up. Bare/Fraying wires all over the place.

Also, the manifold gaskets were shot!

Changed the gaskets over, put a new temp gauge sensor in aswell while it was all off and easy to do.

Took the loom of the broken engine, as I wont need it for R1GNO anyway, wrong version.

Put it all back together, replacing any other bodge jobs ( why to people do it? )

Waited for it to stop raining, went out for a quick spin. 21 and 23 now gone. So the above was needed.

But...33. Now know why, speedo has stopped working! Doh.

Upper cable is fine, spins the clock if you do it with your fingers, so its the lower half. Which is a PITA to get out.

Next weekend then....
Old 27-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

sometimes, it's the upper cable not pushed far enoough in to the converter box between it and the lower cable that stops the speedo working. I would try that first, although it's still a pain in the ars3 to get to.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Gold Member

Haha...fixed!

Swapped the lower cable over ( what a bitch job ) pushed the two together, made sure it was in far enough, and booom! Pulls like a train...until 109Km.

Need to find a speedo converter now.