South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 28-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Regular User

Default Remapped ECU with switch issue?

am after some help please?

I recently brought the 93 WRX and to me its running rough, smells like alot of unburnt fuel and its very hesitant on boost. It has a knock link fitted and thats showing green.

I stripped the car down today to remove the horrible toad alarm and also check everything over and replace the dash. I found that the ECU has a little metal toggle switch sticking out the side and a label with this:

dnb Scoobyecu

and the two settings for the switch, one saying oem, the other scoobyecu.

I have searched for this and not found anything and it seems to run the same on either switch setting. I am after help knowing what map has been put on the ecu or by who? would I be best gettng a stock ECU and then a fresh remap?

Thanks in advanced!
Old 28-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Dnb is David blades from the isle of white. He used to do the occasional ecu upgrade. If the car runs rough on both settings then the problem is unlikely to be the Ecu.

I was a founder of the scoobyecu, more can be read at the start of this thread...
http://bbs.scoobynet.com/private-for...to-1996-a.html

I prob sold 500+ of theses a few years back.

If your car is misfiring it may well be faulty coil packs.

Last edited by Scott.T; 28-12-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 28-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the reply, thats good to know its a good bit of kit!

So who can I go to to have the running issue checked? I want to get it running spot on for me to then work from there.
Old 28-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

Could be breaking down coilpacks on an early classic for hesitation on boost
Old 29-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Wereabouts are you.
Coilpacks are fairly easy to check and sit on top of each spark plug, take No.1 out first as thats easiest.

Remove the rubber boot and check for hairline cracks or in extreme cases broken tips :

Old 29-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Regular User

I will have a look at those tomorrow then!

I live in newhaven, east sussex.

So I intend to fit a FMIC to the car in the near future, will I be able to get this ecu remapped to match this change? or will I need to start all over?
(sorry i`m totally new to this mapping stuff)