South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 15-09-2015, 03:25 PM
Bronze Member

Default Clives Prestige Cars...??

Hi all,

I'm currently hunting for a new Scoob and have been eyeing a few for sale on Pistonheads by Clives Prestige Cars. They seem to have a load of Subarus and Evo's in stock at the moment with a few random motors available also.

Has anyone had any dealings with them or know anything about them?

I'm thinkning about travelling up there to have a nose but they're in Lancashire so its a bit of a trek that I dont want to make if they have a bad rep.

Any help/advice appreciated!
Old 15-09-2015, 04:32 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Unfortunately, they have a terrible reputation in the Subaru scene. They've traded under a few names but currently known as Cheshire Performance and Clives Prestige I think.

Google their name and you'll find loads of threads about problems with previous customers on Scoobynet and the MLR. Don't waste the time/petrol going up there.
Old 15-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Bronze Member

I thought that might be them! I had seen some threads on MLR about Clives Performance Motors or something similar and they were saying the same thing... Lots of name changes and ropey motors apparently!

Shame cause some of them look pretty nice too!

Thanks Steve!
Old 15-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

To be fair, they generally buy up cars as cheaply as possible and lump a few grand on the asking price. Not all their cars can be bad, as they must buy off some good previous owners.

But general feedback is that when something does go wrong, they do everything they can to be unhelpful.
Old 15-09-2015, 05:07 PM
Bronze Member

I looked into some motors from them once but once I read up the reviews online I didn't even bother making contact.
Old 15-09-2015, 06:48 PM
Authorised Trader

Shocking reputation, I'd avoid.
One other to steer clear of is Tom Harvey.... the new name for Boys Toys.

If you want to buy from a dealer I'd suggest Hurst Cars, SVA or Torque GT.
They all have good reputations.
Old 15-09-2015, 07:11 PM
Gold Member

Went to look at sva a couple of weeks back and bar a evo 9 and forester the state of the cars were pretty shocking there,my boy was looking at a motor and said might as well have a test drive whilst we are here anyway to see if he liked the drive ,and after being told 4 x times that he will only be 15 mins the only one salesman will be back after an hr we gave up and left.
Old 15-09-2015, 08:34 PM
Gold Member

also heard bad things about clives and sva...
Old 15-09-2015, 09:24 PM
Gold Member

The guys at Torque GT seem very good to me.

They had a Evo wagon that I was considering swapping the FSTi for.

If you keep an eye on their Facebook page you will get a sense of the quality of the cars they get in.

Probably only really interesting if you want an import though.
Old 15-09-2015, 09:56 PM
Authorised Trader

SVA were great with me, and they had some fantastic cars on the forecourt.
Quite a few of the MLR lads have bought their cars from there, so seems a bit odd.
Old 15-09-2015, 10:19 PM
Bronze Member

Whats the score with Tom Harvey...... been tempted by some of the motors they have in there.
Old 15-09-2015, 10:28 PM
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxmike View Post
Whats the score with Tom Harvey...... been tempted by some of the motors they have in there.
Google Boys Toys (or Toyz).
Avoid like the plague
Old 15-09-2015, 11:08 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moley_WRX View Post
SVA were great with me, and they had some fantastic cars on the forecourt.
Quite a few of the MLR lads have bought their cars from there, so seems a bit odd.
The state of their cars on the forecourt are pretty shocking. Kind of a park up and left to gather dust approach.
They may be ok if they source a car for you, but some cars on the stock list have been there for many many months if not over a year.
Old 16-09-2015, 09:36 AM
Authorised Trader

Maybe i caught them on a good day the 3 times i was there.
Old 16-09-2015, 11:12 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Maybe i caught them on a good day the 3 times i was there.
You must have been lucky,looked to us like they was just rolled off transporter onto the lot with no preparation to make them even look half decent,we saw cars with side skirts hanging off/broken bumpers/loads with paint missing(even though on adverts they say immaculate original condition),missing gearknobs/steering wheels/even one with no drivers seat in it all.

We was not impressed and would deffo not go back there.

Surely for the price they are asking for the cars they must have a detailer/sprayer to make the cars look presentable.
Old 16-09-2015, 07:35 PM
Authorised Trader

Were they for sale on the forecourt, or being worked on, or just been delivered.
They have several cars round the back (and side) that need work or are used for parts, and the freshly delivered ones often need some TLC.

Maybe I was lucky like you say, but I looked at a few places before I got my Evo and SVA were certainly the best of the bunch.

A few guys here have seen my car, and I like to think the quality of it speaks for itself.
After seeing their cars (both freshly delivered and ready to go), used their services, and speaking to several others who have used them I'd happily use them again and recommend them.
Old 16-09-2015, 09:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Were they for sale on the forecourt, or being worked on, or just been delivered.
They have several cars round the back (and side) that need work or are used for parts, and the freshly delivered ones often need some TLC.

Maybe I was lucky like you say, but I looked at a few places before I got my Evo and SVA were certainly the best of the bunch.

A few guys here have seen my car, and I like to think the quality of it speaks for itself.
After seeing their cars (both freshly delivered and ready to go), used their services, and speaking to several others who have used them I'd happily use them again and recommend them.
No these were the ones on the forecourt out the front we parked round the back,and yes have seen your car and it's very nice and yes with some tlc they would probably be ok but rather see the car when it's looking good then how these were presented
Old 16-09-2015, 09:41 PM
Authorised Trader

Things must have changed since I was there last
Old 16-09-2015, 10:39 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemp View Post
No these were the ones on the forecourt out the front we parked round the back,and yes have seen your car and it's very nice and yes with some tlc they would probably be ok but rather see the car when it's looking good then how these were presented
Totally how I saw them.
The Type-R had been advertised on for months and upon viewing it looked like it hadn't been moved or cleaned since coming off the boat.
Old 16-09-2015, 11:30 PM
Regular User

i got my import from hurst cars. not always easy to get hold of max as he goes to japan alot to source his stock. friendly and helpful
Old 17-09-2015, 11:09 AM
Gold Member

SVA seem to have some very mixed reviews online: some people seem to really rate them, whilst others have bought/seen some real dogs from the place.
Old 17-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member

tom Harvey stay clear,,
my sti came from there and was fine but simply as mine was a px on one of there imports, the service was ****e, / little scary, hundreds of cars there.
deffo not right there, but I was lucky mine was owned by a English guy for 7 years and was at there place for 1 week.
Old 18-09-2015, 08:43 AM
Bronze Member

I remember reading somewhere that someone at Boy Toyz actually got aggressive towards someone when they tried negotiating on the price as well.
Old 18-09-2015, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Security_Paul View Post
I remember reading somewhere that someone at Boy Toyz actually got aggressive towards someone when they tried negotiating on the price as well.
I can belive that too, my mate rang up and asked to view two 10 and 11k Evo 8's they had at the time ,my friend got told no, one car only at time! So my mate told him your a joke and spent 10k on another Evo 8 else where,
My car was advertised a month later but as another company we didn't know till on arrival in the purchased Evo as my friend said oh look there's the two evos I rang up about, he questioned company name to no response , mine was up for £4999 and wouldn't knock £50 of for a scuff on rear bumper they had done as wasn't in pictures in the advert and no test drive also!!! , I didn't mind as blob rear conversion was always on the cards lol I was really lucky mine was a really cared for s'net members car that was on px and actually the best and cleanest car I've ever owned , sad times lol