South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:37 AM
Gold Member

Default New WRX STi

Does anyone own or has tried the new WRX STi? What do you think? I have another test drive tomorrow. The look is growing on me and its a very smooth drive. I've looked at other marks, but still get drawn back to the Subaru brand.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:52 AM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

I know what you mean terry. I have driven one and they do still have a bit of rawness and character over the competition but the engine concerns me. It's now 10 years old and way behind in terms of fuel, road tax and performance. I am hoping an all new one is around the corner before the merc goes back next year.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:28 AM
Gold Member

Put the new flat 4 from Porsche in one? ��
Old 02-02-2016, 09:18 AM
Gold Member

I know someone who had a 2012 and then a 2015.

He has already sold the 2015 as he couldn't get on with it on anything other than smooth tarmac. Definitely not a B road blaster.

On track it was quicker than his 2012, but he just couldn't live with it as his daily driver.

Just one man's view I appreciate, but worth seeing if you can get a weekend test perhaps to see what you think over a more realistic test.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

I heard that they where meant to be a better platform from previous years. I just don't like the 2.5 engine feels lazy and smooth
Old 02-02-2016, 06:12 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

For me it'll either be another hawk, probably an RB as I still think ill get more enjoyment out of that than a new STI or, another brand along the lines if civic Type r, focus rs or even a jcw cooper s . Unless of course Subaru pull a rabbit out of the hat and Come up with a new STI. I'd love them too.

Last edited by Lucky; 02-02-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:22 PM
Gold Member

Still Surprised you've been this long without one Steve!!!
Old 02-02-2016, 07:37 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

I think you'll be very disappointed with the power delivery compared to your modified WRX
Old 02-02-2016, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott.T View Post
I think you'll be very disappointed with the power delivery compared to your modified WRX
I rolled in to culver well 340hp 2litre Sti, test drove a 330hp hatch 2.5 with 330 kit and was very dull I Must admit
Old 02-02-2016, 08:26 PM
Gold Member

What else should I be looking at Scott?
Old 02-02-2016, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
For me it'll either be another hawk, probably an RB as I still think ill get more enjoyment out of that than a new STI or another brand along the lines if civic Type r, focus rs or even a jcw cooper s . Unless of course Subaru pull a rabbit out of the hat and Coke up with a new STI. I'd love them too.
come and drive mine to see what you think
Old 02-02-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
What else should I be looking at Scott?
Your asking the wrong person there.
I'm struggling myself to find something that ticks the practical but with occasional fun box.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:57 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

I've been considering the Twin Scroll Legacies or the Forester STI as the do both car, I've also considered looking at Nissan Elgrands!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 03-02-2016, 12:24 PM
Gold Member

Hi Nick,so does the Forester STi have the same engine as the WRX STi?. I know the engines a bit dated, but it is pretty much bullet proof. Will try and set up a test drive of the Focus RS, but not sure about the body style.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Hi Nick,so does the Forester STi have the same engine as the WRX STi?. I know the engines a bit dated, but it is pretty much bullet proof. Will try and set up a test drive of the Focus RS, but not sure about the body style.
The Forester STi has the EJ255 engine. I think (though not sure) that this is the same as the Hawkeye Impreza. I also believe it is the same block as the XT (though there are other differences which mean the STi is a better starting point).

I know a lot of people with Imprezas hate the 2.5 Subaru engine and suggest it is weak and so on and so forth, but having been part of the Forester "community" for almost five years there seem to be far fewer examples (even accepting there are fewer Foresters than Imprezas) with the Forester suffering in the same way.

It's not because people don't modify them, as there seem to be just as many with the wick turned up.

Maybe they are more carefully modified? Maybe the Forester brethren are an older, wiser bunch on average and therefore have more mechanical sympathy? I don't know, but it certainly seems they stand up as a more reliable package.

Sod's law says mine will go pop tonight, but hey ho!
Old 03-02-2016, 08:44 PM
Gold Member

Well had a test drive in very wet conditions and car handled great. Shape has grown on me. A bit smooth and quiet compared to my modified WRX (you were spot on their Scott), but getting older and quiet enjoyed it.With the SI Drive in intelligent mode even my Wife was happy driving it,big bonus! Impressed with the female sales assistant as had a very hairy moment at pace and she didn't flinch.Downside is a 4 month waiting time due to the fact the US are taking all they can get.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:51 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
.Downside is a 4 month waiting time due to the fact the US are taking all they can get.
Just in time for the Ring then..😊
Old 07-02-2016, 04:55 PM
Gold Member

So had a look at the Focus RS, but didn't test drive it. Not too impressed with the look and after all it has a Ford badge on the front! European Subaru Sti has a much higher spec then the UK model. Think I might put myself on the waiting list.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
So had a look at the Focus RS, but didn't test drive it. Not too impressed with the look and after all it has a Ford badge on the front! European Subaru Sti has a much higher spec then the UK model. Think I might put myself on the waiting list.

How long is the list/wait ?
Old 08-02-2016, 07:34 AM
Gold Member

Hi Ian, waiting time is a bit vague with 4 mths as a ball park figure. It seems that the USA is hoovering up all the STi's that Japan can produce.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Hi Ian, waiting time is a bit vague with 4 mths as a ball park figure. It seems that the USA is hoovering up all the STi's that Japan can produce.
That's perfect for the Ring then.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
That's perfect for the Ring then.
That's one way to run in an engine...!
Old 08-02-2016, 09:27 PM
Gold Member

Agree, if it arrives in time might have to be a very slow lap, mind was never going to be that fast!!!!
Old 08-02-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Agree, if it arrives in time might have to be a very slow lap, mind was never going to be that fast!!!!
I guarantee it wont be.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:27 AM
Gold Member

Thanks Ian,
Old 13-02-2016, 07:30 PM
Gold Member

So I've placed my order for 2016 WRX STi in black, Club S which comes with every option.
Tried the Golf and looked at the Focus RS, but didn't do it for me. I must have Subaru blood in my veins. In France they impose a tax (malus) on eco unfriendly cars. The STi, being the most non eco car has a malus of 8000 euros , on our Renault Captur it was about 300.Fortunately Subaru rembourse this sum. Just have to wait 4 months now.
Old 13-02-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
So I've placed my order for 2016 WRX STi in black, Club S which comes with every option.
Tried the Golf and looked at the Focus RS, but didn't do it for me. I must have Subaru blood in my veins. In France they impose a tax (malus) on eco unfriendly cars. The STi, being the most non eco car has a malus of 8000 euros , on our Renault Captur it was about 300.Fortunately Subaru rembourse this sum. Just have to wait 4 months now.
Old 13-02-2016, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
nice one!
Old 13-02-2016, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi View Post
nice one!
Just need you to go back to one now

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 23-02-2016, 05:18 PM
Regular User

Test driving one tomorrow but have not ever driven a scooby before or a flat 4. Come to think of it only turbo petrol I have driven for any length of time is a 1.4 Abarth
Old 23-02-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyskisplym View Post
Test driving one tomorrow but have not ever driven a scooby before or a flat 4. Come to think of it only turbo petrol I have driven for any length of time is a 1.4 Abarth
You'll be in for a treat then..
Old 23-02-2016, 06:01 PM

Nice one terry. The next 4 months will be the longest ever!!!
Old 23-02-2016, 06:12 PM
Regular User

Only other rurbo I have driven is an evo X fq 300 sst that I test drove couple weeks ago
Old 01-03-2016, 10:09 AM
Regular User

Test drove a wrx sti finally after a few cancelled attempts from both me and the dealership and loved it pick her up on Saturday.

Took it easy and had a lot of mechanical sympathy as engine was not warm and only 9 miles on clock. Also being the car I know I would be collecting if I liked I aired on the side of caution.

Frenchcie well sorry for you I'm hating having to wait 5 days let along 4 months fell sorry for you
Old 01-03-2016, 11:13 AM
Gold Member

Haven't met you yet and trying not to dislike you.�� Bet you can't wait for Saturday. What colour did you go for?
Old 02-03-2016, 09:47 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Haven't met you yet and trying not to dislike you.�� Bet you can't wait for Saturday. What colour did you go for?
Gone for wr blue frenchie and you???

Was a toss up between white and blue but white would have had to be ordered so choose white

Funny that a lot of people are starting to dislike me mainly cos most people only know I order a new car and not what I'm getting
Old 02-03-2016, 12:51 PM
Gold Member

For me was a toss up between WR Blue and Black, finally went for black. As Steve has already reminded me I'll be for ever cleaning it as we live in the middle of no-where surrounded by fields and mucky tractuers. The STi here is more expensive , but I think the spec is higher,ie all the UK options come as standard. Only 3 months,1 week, 2 days and 4 hours to go!!!!
Old 02-03-2016, 01:09 PM

cant wait to see this Love a well polished black car!

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 02-03-2016, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

I think they look fecking awesome in white or black than the standard boring blue .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 02-03-2016, 02:02 PM
Regular User

Quote:
For me was a toss up between WR Blue and Black, finally went for black. As Steve has already reminded me I'll be for ever cleaning it as we live in the middle of no-where surrounded by fields and mucky tractuers. The STi here is more expensive , but I think the spec is higher,ie all the UK options come as standard. Only 3 months,1 week, 2 days and 4 hours to go!!!!
67 hours for me now. Yes only option in the uk I'm aware of is the nav but I'll stick with my tom Tom. Rest are just accesorries. I was hoping the front lip and exhaust trim were still options but dealership aren't sure and looking into it for me if not will just order MY15 parts and hope they fit

Last edited by Garyskisplym; 02-03-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:06 PM
Gold Member

So rang the garage yesterday and they said they will ring back Weds with a confirmed delivery date. Have just ordered an intercooler guard from the states.Can't do much in the way of modding due to warranty, but would like to fit a dump valve (Its my age). So does a dump valve affect engine running in anyway, don't want warranty problems, and which one do people recommend.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:27 PM
Gold Member

Forgot to say my last one was a Baileys, which sounded nice and never gave any problems.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
So rang the garage yesterday and they said they will ring back Weds with a confirmed delivery date. Have just ordered an intercooler guard from the states.Can't do much in the way of modding due to warranty, but would like to fit a dump valve (Its my age). So does a dump valve affect engine running in anyway, don't want warranty problems, and which one do people recommend.
I wouldn't fit a dump valve if your worried about warranty.
Any dealer that see's it is likely to kick you out the workshop.....I would too
Old 12-06-2016, 04:38 PM
Gold Member

So does that mean that you won't be fitting one to your new audi Scott
Old 12-06-2016, 08:54 PM
Regular User

Warranty is just a sales gimmick anyway, whatever happens they will just put it down to wear and tear.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrx2810 View Post
Warranty is just a sales gimmick anyway, whatever happens they will just put it down to wear and tear.
Not on a new car they won't.
A second hand 3rd party warranty, yes, but not a new manufacturer warranty.
Old 13-06-2016, 10:34 AM
Formerly Taomyn

Quote:
So rang the garage yesterday and they said they will ring back Weds with a confirmed delivery date.
Fingers crossed it's not too much longer to wait.
Old 13-06-2016, 10:37 AM

Have to agree with Scott - having bought a second hand Audi - and having it just gone back this morning for a third time under warranty, I would say they are worth their weight in gold!

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 13-06-2016, 10:48 AM
Formerly Taomyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrx2810 View Post
Only if you don't exercise your consumer rights - they try and count on people being unaware and not bothering. Only this weekend something I ordered from Amazon March 2015, a HOTAS for my PC, some of the buttons/switches have stopped working. If you go through the normal links it tells you that you cannot request return/refund after 30 days, but use the contact form and tell them that "I demand a replacement or refund under the European two year warranty directive 1999/44/EC (http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/consumer_rights/rights-contracts/sales-guarantee/index_en.htm).", and less than two hours later they email me the RMA information for a free return, and eventual refund/replacement.
Old 15-06-2016, 07:47 PM
Gold Member

Had a call from the garage today and car will arrive at Le Havre on 6th July.Bad news is it may take up to 3 weeks before it arrives at the garage, lots of paperwork I guess, which France is very keen on. Well at least its getting closer.