South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Wheels,Tyres & Brakes

Old 30-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Silver Member

Default Just realised my brakes are shocking!!

Car in front of of me stopped a bit sharpish earlier on today, i nearly put my foot through the floor trying to stop the car (just managed though). The ABS didn't kick in, i don't think the wheels were even close to locking up. Its a UK turbo with four pots, drilled and grooved discs, no idea what the pads are though. They don't feel spongy, they just feel like they don't do very much. Now i know that impreza brakes are notoriously rubbish for one of this age but my WRX which had the same brakes was much better (i think...).

Can i have some suggestions please for things to check or anything that would be worth buying to help improve the situation. Am looking at some braided lines and also one of those clampy stopper type thingies for the brake cylinder.
Old 31-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

The Subaru 4 pots are pretty good brakes, I'd do the hoses, full fluid change and put some decent pads in!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 31-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Bronze Member

Sounds like there are a few ciezed pistions in the calipers had a similer problem found i had 5 out of 8 front pistons ciezed so managed to free them up the few weeks after replaced the seals then they worked fine
Old 31-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Crowman

Yep if you have seized pistons, you are dramatically reducing the overall pressure being applied to the pad.
Old 31-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Bronze Member

haveing driven several sccobs with the subaru 4pots i totally agree with sumo scooby on this
Old 05-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Silver Member

Ok, so my calipers aren't the problem. I gave my car to a mechanic for the day, he said one of the pots was siezed but shouldn't have caused too much of a problem. He's freed that one off anyway but also mentioned that my brake pads looked like cheap sh*t. So, theres my starting point. Whats a good set of pads to go for? I won't be doing track days or anything like that so don't need competition ones.
After that i want one of those brake cylinder stoppers.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:31 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

If you're only really driving on road and not pushing on to hard then you'll be fine with the Kevlar pads the likes of Godspeed and Aztec sell - Personally I'd give Alyn (AS Performance) a bell and see what he's got.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 06-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post
Personally I'd give Alyn (AS Performance) a bell and see what he's got.

Give Alyn a call hes a top man.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post

Give Alyn a call hes a top man.
too!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

may sound silly but have you checked the rears? that could make a difference but i know from mine cheap pads dont like to be worked.