South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 24-09-2016, 07:45 PM
Regular User

Default EML but car seems to be running fine

The EML on my car appeared at some point early in my journey today, I hadn't gone above 3,000 revs and the car was still relatively cold. First time it has happened but it has stayed on constantly for the remainder of the journey (Heathrow to Hever castle) and all the way home. The car performs as well as it always has both on and off boost. Any ideas?

Also could anybody point me in the direction of a code reader that can reset the CEL and advise me of the fault code? Thanks
Old 24-09-2016, 07:54 PM
Gold Member

Could be any number of things. Pretty much impossible to tell from the above information only.

What car have you got? That will be relevant to being able to suggest a code reader. If it's a classic you may have to read the code using the connectors under the dash.

Hope you get to the bottom of it swiftly.
Old 24-09-2016, 08:23 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the quick reply, I suppose that would be helpful!

I have a standard 2004 2.0 Turbo WRX. I owned a Vectra years ago so am not going to worry too much at the moment as that used to throw them up regularly, especially for the ICV.
Old 25-09-2016, 09:00 AM
Gold Member

The good news is that loads of readers are suitable! It's when you have an import with SSM not OBDII or a classic that things can be a bit trickier.

The Torque app and a Bluetooth dongle/plugin would be a reasonably cheap way to do it.

I don't have a reader, so someone else will need to make specific recommendations. Sorry I can't help further!
Old 25-09-2016, 02:27 PM

I think I used a eBay vag com cable meant for Vw's and Rom Raider on my bug. Cable should be no more than a tenner. It allowed me to do more than just read and clear the codes as I have monitored requested boost v actual and injector duty cycles etc, just to make sure map was ok.
2003 Blobeye WRX SL Wagon

Last edited by 555_Si; 25-09-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 25-09-2016, 08:16 PM
Regular User

Thanks both of you. So something like this CABLE or this BLUETOOTH The cable with PC looks like it does a lot more compared to the bluetooth reader.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:56 AM
Regular User

I picked up a bluetooth reader but I can't seem to get it to speak to the ECU. Can anybody with knowledge about these help?

I have plugged the diagnostic tool into the obd port, the PC light is on constantly, the power light flashes and every few seconds the obd flashes but no connection is made to my android app (Torque).

A video of it can be seen here...

https://goo.gl/photos/TtdaPMBdznn2NBFi7

Dodgy diagnostic tool, faulty obd port or user error?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2016, 11:56 AM
Regular User

For some reason my bluetooth reader didn't "speak to" the ECU on my 2004 Subaru yet worked on all the other cars I tested. I went for my MOT yesterday and they lent me a wired reader before the test which worked fine and the code has now been cleared (P0420). I think it may be an O2 sensor, I am planning on making some changes to the cats early next year so will see how it goes up until then.

I have now got a Maxiscan wired reader which seems to work fine.