South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Wheels,Tyres & Brakes

Old 16-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Default Rear caliper refurb.....

OK, so since the Goodwood trackday I've noticed my rear caliper (passenger side) has a sticky piston or two, and its dragging the disk badly.

Looking to do a refurb of the seals and give the piston a good clean up as i expect the rubber seals have perished from a few years abuse.... any tips on the following?

- Best way to get the pistons out without having a compressor? (without ruining them!)
- Best way to stop brake fluid peeing all over the place as i can't clamp braided lines? I've read about putting clingfilm over the reservoir top but not sure if it works.

Thinking of doing it myself as I can get the seal kit cheap and i'm sure it can't be that difficult!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMP...-/301005920046

I'll have a closer look this weekend and decide whether discs/pads are needed at the same time or not.
Old 16-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Are you sure you can't clamp off braided lines, surely it's only a plastic pipe inside.
Old 16-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
OK, so since the Goodwood trackday I've noticed my rear caliper (passenger side) has a sticky piston or two, and its dragging the disk badly.

Looking to do a refurb of the seals and give the piston a good clean up as i expect the rubber seals have perished from a few years abuse.... any tips on the following?

- Best way to get the pistons out without having a compressor? (without ruining them!)
- Best way to stop brake fluid peeing all over the place as i can't clamp braided lines? I've read about putting clingfilm over the reservoir top but not sure if it works.

Thinking of doing it myself as I can get the seal kit cheap and i'm sure it can't be that difficult!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMP...-/301005920046

I'll have a closer look this weekend and decide whether discs/pads are needed at the same time or not.
Getting the pistons out isn't a problem, it's getting them back in square with new seals that is.......I remember doing this years ago on a Ford and it took me forever and a day to get the pistons back in.
Old 16-04-2014, 10:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Getting the pistons out isn't a problem, it's getting them back in square with new seals that is.......I remember doing this years ago on a Ford and it took me forever and a day to get the pistons back in.
As Scott says getting them in is an issue
Clingfilm doesn't work - you need to clamp off
Old 16-04-2014, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Steve scoobyworx does a full refurb kit that you can buy for two pots and also four pots at a good price and I used a flat head screw driver and hammer to remove my pistons on the four pots as they were seized and I've still not got round to refurbing them yet .
Old 16-04-2014, 11:16 PM

Can't you just use a C-clamp and an old brake pad to compress the piston back in once its started square?

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 17-04-2014, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

I think I've still got my old rubber brake hoses kicking around if you wanted to put them on temporarily and clamp them off.
Old 17-04-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginola View Post
Can't you just use a C-clamp and an old brake pad to compress the piston back in once its started square?
That's the approach I was thinking, which is why i was more concerned about getting them out if they're stuck...

Maybe I'll just buy the kit and pop down to SMD at some point before Germany, just fancied getting the spanners out and having a go myself. Don't want to start working on it if i can't finish it as I won't be able to get it to a garage if i need to minus a caliper and brake fluid leaking out...
Old 17-04-2014, 10:15 AM
Platinum Member

probably not the way to do it Steve but when I done the stainless pistons on mine, took pads out and pumped pistons out a bit....... managed to then grip and twist the pistons out from that point.

Took whole caliper off and used a nut and bolt with washers and nylon washers to put through the 'banjo?' then tightened to seal, to stop the fluid leaking out (hope that makes sense?)

wasn't sure I wanted to clamp any lines, so done it this way and it worked fine.....
Old 18-04-2014, 06:14 PM

Well i don't think I'll be sorting this one on my own.... had the caliper off today and its jammed solid on the inside piston. And i mean properly solid. Guess its been like it a while as the pad is all but gone, but still half left on the outside. Disc has seen better days so now considering options again.

Think Godspeed does refurbed caliper sets where you trade in your old ones? Then add new disks and pads from somewhere. Depends what it all costs when added up....I'm sure Brent could refurb my current ones with a new kit but my pistons are rusted to hell so i'd need those too.....

Or I could get a matching ksport set from here: http://www.ksport.co.uk/order.asp?id=238&loc=4 which will cost just over £1000 with some NDX pads (which to be far, are a bargain considering how well they work in my front ksports).

Argh..... need to make a decision quickly i think to be sorted for Germany!
Old 18-04-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Well i don't think I'll be sorting this one on my own.... had the caliper off today and its jammed solid on the inside piston. And i mean properly solid. Guess its been like it a while as the pad is all but gone, but still half left on the outside. Disc has seen better days so now considering options again.

Think Godspeed does refurbed caliper sets where you trade in your old ones? Then add new disks and pads from somewhere. Depends what it all costs when added up....I'm sure Brent could refurb my current ones with a new kit but my pistons are rusted to hell so i'd need those too.....

Or I could get a matching ksport set from here: http://www.ksport.co.uk/order.asp?id=238&loc=4 which will cost just over £1000 with some NDX pads (which to be far, are a bargain considering how well they work in my front ksports).

Argh..... need to make a decision quickly i think to be sorted for Germany!
You really don't need to spend 1k on rear brakes find out what Brent would want for refurbishing your current ones and Give Ian at Godspeed a buzz and ask him about the cost of a refurb set posted out to you on an exchange bases. decide from that. I would fit some grooved discs and a reasonably decent pad on the rear if the discs need replacing (Something like the EBC rear discs but would be umming and arring over pad choice)

Or Brembo rears as discussed!!!

Last edited by Ginola; 18-04-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 18-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Bronze Member

Probably not worth spending 1k on new set, you could easily get a second hand of rear calipers in good condition for around 100-120 and that often includes discs and pads. Maybe work something out where you get some rear calipers and then new discs and pads? Probably cheaper than paying for a refurb from what I have seen.
Old 18-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Bronze Member

And by worth I mean its not like your tracking your car all the time so to speak.
Old 18-04-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Or Brembo rears as discussed!!!
Might be the way to go mate

Rear brembos for ~£250, set of new brembo discs with the liners fitted so my handbrake shoes are OK are £199 and then a good pad choice. Probably the easiest fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakesnow View Post
Probably not worth spending 1k on new set, you could easily get a second hand of rear calipers in good condition for around 100-120 and that often includes discs and pads. Maybe work something out where you get some rear calipers and then new discs and pads? Probably cheaper than paying for a refurb from what I have seen.
Not seen any decent condition 2 pots for that money mate, if you know of some then send me the link

Thing is, by the time i've got a refurb kit (it'll need new pistons for sure as well) and factored in a bit of labour, new discs, new pads etc and i'm up at £400 odd quid i expect. And it doesn't improve the rear and solve the balance problems I've got with 356mm 8 pots on the front and standard 2 pots on the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakesnow View Post
And by worth I mean its not like your tracking your car all the time so to speak.
Tbh, the car only does about 3000 miles a year (1000 of which is Germany) and the rest is going to club meets or trackdays. As much as it pains me to say, its so much easier (and comfortable!) just to get in the Mondeo diesel for every other journey so the scoob hardly moves these days.....

I do like to use the scoob brakes fairly heavily, but found at Goodwood that i was locking the rear wheels on really heavy braking as the back end was going so light due to the balance problem. I'm sure having stiffer springs (or coilovers) on the car would help reduce the nose-dive a bit but its not on my radar at the moment....

I know i don't need to buy new ksports at the back, but it would look cool matching the front
Old 18-04-2014, 10:07 PM
Gold Member

Had k sports on the rear of mine and really liked the way it braked, hardly no dive when braking hard it just sat down, if you used Godspeed for the refurb kit maybe he could do you a deal with new discs & pads?
Old 19-04-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granby View Post
Had k sports on the rear of mine and really liked the way it braked, hardly no dive when braking hard it just sat down, if you used Godspeed for the refurb kit maybe he could do you a deal with new discs & pads?
Thats what i'm after but I'm expecting a bit of dive as i'm not on rock hard coilovers.

How did the ksport two piece discs work the with WRX handbrake on the rear? I've had a hunt online and can't find any pictures showing the drum on the ksport disks. This is an image that cropped up on a google image search but its not a ksport disk, although it does look similar like D2 etc...
http://www.kido-racing.com.au/forums..._drum170mm.jpg

Did you have any problems with the rear shoes? I've read of people finding the drum too slim and the shoes eat into the lip on the back of the aluminium bell.
Old 19-04-2014, 06:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thats what i'm after but I'm expecting a bit of dive as i'm not on rock hard coilovers.

How did the ksport two piece discs work the with WRX handbrake on the rear? I've had a hunt online and can't find any pictures showing the drum on the ksport disks. This is an image that cropped up on a google image search but its not a ksport disk, although it does look similar like D2 etc...
http://www.kido-racing.com.au/forums..._drum170mm.jpg

Did you have any problems with the rear shoes? I've read of people finding the drum too slim and the shoes eat into the lip on the back of the aluminium bell.
I didn't have coilovers but eibach lowering springs on standard shocks

Handbrake worked fine, but now you mentioned it iirc the drum was slightly to narrow and the handbrake shoe stuck out just a little bit (maybe 2-3mm), don't remember it causing any problems though, and unless your doing a lot of handbrake turns i can't see it being a problem in normal use of the handbrake

Last edited by Granby; 19-04-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 24-04-2014, 11:38 PM

Steve,...

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/car-parts-f...ated-pads.html

Old 25-04-2014, 09:20 AM

Already PM'd Matty..... but have a plan up my sleeve
Old 25-04-2014, 07:14 PM
SES Catering & Picnic Services

Quote:
Already PM'd Matty..... but have a plan up my sleeve
Ginola btw using Wanda's tablet!!

Last edited by The Handbrake; 25-04-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 25-04-2014, 07:51 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Those discs have had a fair amount of wear..
Old 25-04-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
Those discs have had a fair amount of wear..

You would fit with new ones

Old 26-04-2014, 12:03 PM

Picked these up yesterday.....

Some new discs and pads to sort, plus a way to fix the handbrake isssue..... after germany they may go black to match my front ksports but trying to find black brembos off a hatch is pretty hard!
Old 26-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:

Some new discs and pads to sort, plus a way to fix the handbrake isssue..... after germany they may go black to match my front ksports but trying to find black brembos off a hatch is pretty hard!
Can Alyn not supply everything you need?
Old 26-04-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Picked these up yesterday.....

Nice one go get some black calliper paint you could clean them give them a key and some paint then roast them in the oven at 80 degrees to set all today!

Old 26-04-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I expect he probably can, i'll be calling him Monday

Not sure if he can supply the oversized shoes though, really don't want to swap hubs.

Quote:
Nice one go get some black calliper paint you could clean them give them a key and some paint then roast them in the oven at 80 degrees to set all today!
I could..... but i've been too busy doing house renovation stuff i'm afraid

Find me the right black paint and i'll think about buying it
Old 26-04-2014, 06:56 PM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000...&robot_redir=1

Old 26-04-2014, 07:02 PM

OK, so i've never painted calipers before..... is that all i need or do they require some kind of high temp lacquer over the top?
Old 26-04-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
OK, so i've never painted calipers before..... is that all i need or do they require some kind of high temp lacquer over the top?

I would say not, just key the surface with some wet and dry and smooth down between a couple of coats with some fine 2500 grit I would guess. Never painted any myself either though.
Make sure you clean properly/mask off well. A lot of guides just show them being painted in situ with brushes! Spray and bake in the oven on a v-low heat between coats will give a great finish they will possibly need re'masking coming out of the oven..

Last edited by Ginola; 26-04-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 28-04-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I expect he probably can, i'll be calling him Monday
Spoke to Alyn today and he is sorting me discs, pads and oversized shoes. So that's all I need to hopefully get the scoob sorted for Germany ordered.

Had a chat about different pad options and wanting to balance it with the bigger ksports up front. Alyn recommended the PFC 08 compound as its more track focussed - hopefully it'll do the trick

(oh, and yes i know the thread title is now not relevant, its more of a replacement/upgrade than a refurb!)
Old 01-05-2014, 09:32 PM

Thanks Alyn, parts arrived today.

Pagid discs, oversized shoes, and PFC 08 pads.... Just got to get them fitted before Supercar Siege now!

Edit/ ignore the 70s carpet, its not staying!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:06 PM

Spot on! get them painted too

Old 01-05-2014, 10:33 PM

No time..... after Germany now i think!