South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Wheels,Tyres & Brakes

Old 10-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Default Falken tyres - Your thoughts

My Toyo's are now looking very sad on the edges and have rotated them a few times to get the most out of them.
However I now think it's time to change.

Unfortunatley I need all 4, tyre size 225/35 x 18

Feeling a bit tight this time, especially as the car spends more time under lock'n'key then out on the road nowadays.

I am pretty sure the Toyo's (which were ex-TVR stock and bought for £75 a corner) didn't last as long as my last set of Toyo's (maybe they were a TVR compound).

Toyo's are currently £109 per corner from Camskill
Falken are £76, tread pattern looks very similar to my current T1-S.

Your thoughts...................
Old 10-09-2008, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Falken tyres - Your thoughts

Falkens actually score higher then Toyo T1R on http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk

A typical Falken Review :
This is one of the best tyres I have used. I have previously used Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3, Toyo proxes T1-R and this tyre grips better than both of them in both wet and dry conditions. They also appear to wear very well after 8000 miles the Goodyears were worn out but the Falkens still have a few thousand miles left. They also give a comfortable ride. The fact it is also cheaper to buy than these two tyres makes them a bargain. I will be buying again.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

if you look at this it tells a different story but then falken weren't in the equation

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/ ... mpreza.htm
Old 10-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Gold Member

Never heard anything bad about Falken's, but havent used them for afew years now....all i know is that they must be better than the Spec 2's i've just fitted (they are awful imo).
Old 10-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Regular User

I run Parada Spec 2's and they are the best tyre I have used (apart from semi slix ). They are great in the dry, great in the wet but a bit twitchy in the damp. They are extremely progressive and you can really feel what the tyres are doing at all times. They never "snap out", always you can tell exactly when they are going to let go and then when they do, it is so smooth. If anyone has issues with these tyres, come for a drive in mine and you may be surprised
Old 10-09-2008, 09:53 PM

I've heard the Parada's are not that good in the wet....may be good but a bit too 'Track' orientated for me. Oh! and their about £135 per corner......
Old 11-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Regular User

Yeah havent heard anything bad about faulkens, think they are a good all rounder. I'm actually looking into some new wheels and not sure on the tyres.
So be good to keep looking at this thread and see what result you get.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:08 PM

Doing a bit of a search on s'net and found this :

ive just come back from the nurburgring in my 98 type r which had a new set of 452's fitted before i left.

Couldnt fault them in any way,grip,grip and more grip and i didnt have one scary moment with them.

The other 3 cars i went with were running toyo T1r's and i passed all 3 of them. One set of the toyos were knackered after 6 laps....for some reason all the tread blocks were very distorted resulting in some very strange tyre wear.
He will not be buying toyos again.

I would defo recommend FK452's on a scoob.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I run on 452's and can't fault them in the wet or the dry.

I"m on my third sent and can't say that they've given me any nasty moments. They give excellent feel right up to the edge and then they start to slide nicely. They don't just snap out on you like some bridegestones I've tried before and even avons.

They hang on really well in the wet and give pretty much the same experience. Lots of traction then a nice smooth slide which doesn't feel out of control if that makes sense. Again, they don't just snap out on you once you find the edge.

Really can't recommend them highly enough. Give em a go. For the money, I reckon they're un beatable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
as above i totally agree with joekont ....best tyre for the money and many ppl rate them better than the t1r's.
T1R's are supposed to have a sudden breakaway but the falkens dont...as above a nice slow progressive and totally controlable slide.

A lot of skyline and evo owners love them too so that must say something about them

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"2005.5 Audi A4 Quattro - 235/40/18 - The tires are smooth and quiet. They have a nice design. They're great in dry and wet conditions. I've put about 1000 miles on them. Just recently attended a track day. I put 50 laps at Laguna Seca on them. A few of the track sessions were plagued by rain or wet track. That didn't diminish the grip as much as I thought it would. Very predictable and never gave up. I've done about 10 track days in various cars, supercharged cts-v, vw gti, and audi. All with different tires like michelin, falken, yokohama, goodyear, and so on. I can safely say you won't regret getting these falkens. Everyone I've referred to this tire has thanked me after."
Old 11-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

A bit more info http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/o ... fk452.html
nice looking tyre !
Old 11-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

Hi Scott ,looks like Falken,s might be the new in tyre
Old 11-09-2008, 09:23 PM

Hmm, me thinks so.
At £78 for 225/35x18 and with the little mileage I now do, it's gotta be worth a punt.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... b0s20p6213
Old 11-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Silver Member

Who do you get to put the tyres on for you
Old 12-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Silver Member

Hi Scott, just spoken to a mate whose got falken 452's on his classic and his words were "They do seem quite a soft compound. But they grip like Sh*t to a blanket!! I can't fault them for price really!"He also said "But the Falkens on the rear have only lasted 5000 miles??? I must have a lead foot or something!!"
Old 12-09-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife2
Hi Scott, just spoken to a mate whose got falken 452's on his classic and his words were "They do seem quite a soft compound. But they grip like Sh*t to a blanket!! I can't fault them for price really!"He also said "But the Falkens on the rear have only lasted 5000 miles??? I must have a lead foot or something!!"
5000 miles where's he been 'The ring'
everyone else seems to think they wear well and are better then the T1-R Toyo's which Toyo claim are supposed to last longer then the T1-S's I have.
Not sure how you knock out just the rears on 4WD as all the scoobs I have had seem to wear fairly evenly, more front wear on edges if anything

I normally get them fitted at either Kwik-fit bexhill (used to be Ebley but I think it's the same lads) or Victoria Tyres Hastings.
sometimes (well they used to) do a cash job.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Silver Member

He had different ones on the front
Old 12-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Crowman

Hi Scott i have the new yoki parada and have now done a couple of small journeys,they are so grippy in the dry,but you can push your finger nail into the tread when warm,they will not last but i do less than 1000 miles a year,so not a problem for me.
The car felt very very iffy in the wet,but i am thinking something is not quite right with a bush or something,i will know for sure once the car has had its visit to power station.
If the car gets the ok from power station then it means the yoki's are pants in the wet,will report back.

Oh and i paid 100quid a corner fitted,balnced. ASF Tyres in crow,wont beat him for price and service on certain makes.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman
i have the new yoki parada and have now done a couple of small journeys,they are so grippy in the dry,but car felt very very iffy in the wet,but i am thinking something is not quite right with a bush or something,i will know for sure once the car has had its visit to power station.
If the car gets the ok from power station then it means the yoki's are pants in the wet,will report back.
Had exactly the same experience on new Parada's....the car was all over the place in the wet....must be the tyres...wont be using them again, not in this country anyway
Old 12-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Crowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBoy
Quote:
i have the new yoki parada and have now done a couple of small journeys,they are so grippy in the dry,but car felt very very iffy in the wet,but i am thinking something is not quite right with a bush or something,i will know for sure once the car has had its visit to power station.
Had exactly the same experience on new Parada's....the car was all over the place in the wet....must be the tyres...wont be using them again, not in this country anyway
Interesting,thing is they were so bad i thought must be something else,oh well,good job i only take it out in the dry
Old 13-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Interesting,thing is they were so bad i thought must be something else
I know what your saying....i even stopped and checked that the wheels were tight because it felt that bad
Old 19-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Crowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBoy
Quote:
Interesting,thing is they were so bad i thought must be something else
I know what your saying....i even stopped and checked that the wheels were tight because it felt that bad
My god,i did that too.
Old 19-09-2008, 05:24 PM
worzel

Falkans can't be that bad. An absolute shed load of imports arrive with them on. They must be quite a popular tyre out in Japan.

My old black STi Import had falkans when I bought it and they were in all honesty pretty good. That was in 2003.
Old 19-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Nige

The Falken may be good BUT. Subaru spent thousends of ££££ testing Potenzas can they be so wrong? I mean a sti c type just run a sub 8 min at the ring with these tyres. I have had no probs plenty of grip. They may howl a bit, at no time did they want to let go
Old 14-10-2008, 07:44 PM

Well, bought some Falkens at last. £313 delivered for 4-Off 225/35 x 18
great service from http://www.camskill.co.uk

will have a ring round to see who can fit for cash
Old 14-10-2008, 10:42 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Victoria Tyres has got to be the one.