South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Projects

Projects Tell us about your cars mods, past, present and future!

Old 23-10-2013, 03:04 PM

Default Upgrade

I have an 03 specC, purchased it new from Iian Litchfield. No major mods, H&S jap style exhaust, induction kit, with cold air box, walbro pump, fettled exhaust manifold (welding, grinding and aligning), ported wastegate, all mapping carried out by Bob Rawle, runs nicely, just wanted a bit more power without any loss of bottom end grunt.
1st plan was to go 2.5, in 2005 (i think ) I purchased a 257 short block, before I had got round to spending anything on rods, pistons, etc i started hearing horror stories about the liners which meant, to maintain reasonable reliability the 257 was limited to 450ish of each, as I thought that the gain verses outlay would be rather poor, i sold the short motor.
I then started hearing about the EZ30 (Perrin etc) I realised that the liners were just as bad as the 2.5, but there are 6 of them , a plan was starting to form
This arrived in Oct 2009

Its a 2007 legacy motor from japan (crash test car)
I purchased pistons, valves etc from SMG who also did the blockwork.
For mainly family related reasons, between then and now, I have had very little time to spend on the engine, over this time I have done some work on the heads, and oiling. The std exhaust ports are horrible, this is the best (straight) one

The intakes are better

Will post some images of modified ports later
I ordered to rods (carrillos) from SMG a week or so ago, so things are now starting to move along
Old 23-10-2013, 07:14 PM

to SES fella
Looking forward to reading more

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 24-10-2013, 12:24 PM

Thanks, i will get some pictures of the moulds from the modified ports, as soon as i can. I was not confident that the heads had much material thickness around the ports so I purchased an ultra sonic thickness measuring device, good job I did as in the areas i wanted to modify, some of the port walls were less than 6mm.
Old 26-10-2013, 05:28 PM

Cold air box as it is now. Fabricated from 2.0mm ally sheet covered with insulation. Unfortunately this will not fit with H6 setup so will modify this one and make another for the other side

The picture shows the bathtub like nature of the intrusion (from the guide to the port divider) this is ca5mm deep.

The valve bowl/throat is small (for the valve size), and flat sided, I increased the throat cross sectional area to match the inner dia of the valve seat, there is not much material to play with, so be careful . There was just enough material to allow removal of the port intrusion. On the worst dog leg port, the part which limits the csa is just beyond the area where the two valve ports join.
The port on the right is the original port, with minor cleaning up to help mould release. The dirty nature (and poor curing) of the silicon on the left hand mould makes the port look a lot more uneven than it was. I used silicon moulds so I could keep a check on cross sectional area, most get cut into 1cm sections which is why the mould on the left is full of inclusions (made up too much silicon and it started to go off before I had finished).

I don’t have any moulds of the finished ports, I will take some pictures