South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 03-04-2018, 01:27 PM
Bronze Member

Default Ecu sb code and type ra STI inlet manifold

As above I have a sb ecu
Can anyone tell me what good it is and I have the type ra STI inlet manifold with fith injector but I'm wanting to no ecu spec basicly what power it delivers I'm looking to achieve around 330-350 bhp max not wanting anymore than that but just wanting to no if these parts are a good platform For me to work with
The car is a 1996 wrx standard at moment
Old 03-04-2018, 02:28 PM
Bronze Member

Be more like 300 bhp think I may have been little unrealistic with 350 lol I'm getting an upgraded fuel pump and looking into the injectors as they are grey ones
not sure if they will need upgrading they came with the ra inlet
Also wanting new up and down pipes and manifold as well as service parts
But if anyone knows about sb ecu spec I will be greatfull car in process of pairing at mo so getting little excited should be on road in month or two if all goes well just got get few bits for it yet couple of sensors to
Old 03-04-2018, 09:56 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

I used to know the Pre96 ECU versions inside out. But my memory now fails me.

Thank God for Google and a post I made on Scoobynet 10 years ago.......

SA is STi 1, SB is STi 1 RA.

SA runs just over 1 bar
SB runs 0.95 bar, uses strange boost control and is very lean. I wouldn't run an SB in anything in the UK.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:06 PM

Found another old post that may be of use :

U8 or W6 ECU is standard 1993/1994 WRX
2C is standard 1994 WRX (a bit of a cross-over between U8/W6 and the Z4)
Z4 ECU is 1994-1996 WRX
STi ECU was SA
STi RA ECU was SB
STi 2 ECU was 6K
STi 2 RA ECU was 7K
WRX RA ECU are W9 or Z5
WRX Wagon 1C, 3B, V9
UK/Euro GT/Aus WRX Saloon & Wagon V7, 7D, 6D
Old 03-04-2018, 10:22 PM

Power wise the SB is going to be around 260bhp.
5th injector isn't active and pretty crude to be honest even if it were.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:40 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks Scott
I'm going to keep the sb ecu for time being I'm not using car at moment
Got list of service parts to get I'm wanting to know if you could recommend
A timing belt brand as that will be on my to do list at end of month
Also I'm wanting to know if there was any crystal headlightss made for this model
It's old shape 1996 before face lift and before I forget I'm looking for a aftermarket steering wheel with boss any ideas
Old 04-04-2018, 08:26 AM

Roger Clarke Motorsport do a very good priced Timing Belt Kit including new pulleys and tensioner at what is a very good price compared to what they used to cost a few years back.

https://rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/s...-95my-ej202225
Old 04-04-2018, 09:26 AM
Authorised Trader

and all available from your friendly site sponsor at "deal" pricing...........

the likes of a matched Harvey Smith "trick" up-pipe, possibly ported headers, etc. will all help and personally you want to upgrade your board using a mappable ESL daughetboard for best results IMO

early ECU is never going to achieve your figures properly on its own

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 04-04-2018, 12:36 PM
Silver Member

Would you not be better of just putting an esl board into the original ecu then mapping it. I wouldn’t think a ra ecu wouldnt work on a wrx . Specs would be way different
Old 04-04-2018, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member

The cams and pistons are different between the engines for the ecu your planning on ,
You will not archive the goals your after on that ecu, and as Scott says you are not advised to run it on U.K. Fuel .

The 5th injector is worthless and was only put there for homoligation purposes,

The car your using should have a z4 ecu and Is the best production ecu for your car 260hp with a few simple mods it should make 270/280 but I'd strongly advise a fueling check .

You can not realistically swap injectors to I gather the 440s as the grey ones are 380cc
And hope to run on a stock ecu.

The sti ra ran more Boost as it had a better intercooler but they run short skirt pistons . Ratio is different and different cams .
z4 only is what im getting at lol and you will thanks us when you keep your shells around the crank not in your sump..
But if funds are there esl it!

Last edited by scooby doo; 04-04-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:28 AM
Bronze Member

Yep thanks not going to use sb ecu sticking with what I have got
Thanks for all the info
Going to have a good look over the car next week got to get this car finished can't wait to get in it and drive got a noisy injector clicking noise now have not changed the yet they are the ones that came with car so shopping list grows
Old 06-04-2018, 08:37 AM
Bronze Member

Going to start from scratch any advice welcome
I will have a look at what ecu is currently in car and injectors ect . If I can stay pretty much standard with just air filter and exhaust upgrade and maybe front mount ( not decided yet )
And can get to around 280bhp I will be happy
Took onboard your advice above and made decision to run pretty much standard as plan is to keep the old girl long term
So thanks for help I will update once I no what ecu is and injectors are on car and hope everything is correct ����
Old 06-04-2018, 09:14 AM

You should be running a Z4 ECU which is rated at 260ps and runs 12.7psi.
This is the 2nd best ECU for the early WRX and certainly the most common from the Sept 1994-1996 era.
The slightly better 6K ECU from the STi 2 of 1995/1996 runs 13.64psi and is mapped identical to the UK Prodrive upgrade of that era.

The early ECU do have a socket/location inside for an upgrade (the STi V1 and STi RA use this). Into this you can plug either :
1. A 27C1028 chip,
2. A ScoobyECU adaptor running
3. A ESL V1 board
4. A ESL V2 board (live mappable)

On standard injectors, map sensor and intercooler these chips/adaptors can set the car up to run a safe 16.11psi.

I used to develop and sell 3 of the above. Items 1, 2 and 4.
The ESL V2 can be live mapped and also allows you to run larger injectors, later map sensor etc.....

You may be able to pick up 2nd hand if you search for scoobyecu, 27C1028 etc....

I probably sold 400+ but stopped selling them in 2009 mainly due to others jumping on the band wagon, copies of my maps appearing and prices being driven so low it wasn't worth the effort (I was HMRC registered so had to factor that into my time, effort, pricing strategy and impact on my main salary tax code)

If you Google me and polarperformance or scoobyecu there's plenty of info lying around the net.