South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Wheels,Tyres & Brakes

Old 01-08-2015, 10:12 PM
Bronze Member (formerly Red Devil)

Question How brake refurb

How would i go about refurbing these for my toy?

4 pots for my classic.. any advice and tips very welcome.
also do they bolt straight on?

Last edited by ajelliott; 01-08-2015 at 10:20 PM. Reason: more detail
Old 01-08-2015, 10:45 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Why is one red and one yellow?

I'd start by clamping them in a vice by the bolt holes and attacking the old paint with a wire brush attachment on a power drill Then sand to a smoother finish and paint with high temp caliper paint of your choice.

In terms of their function, if they're old and have sticky pistons then strip them down, get a new seal kit and rebuild. If the pistons are ok then clean them up and reuse otherwise replace them as well.

Or... send them to Godspeed, who'll do a much better job and give you a mint looking set back in return for some £££
Old 01-08-2015, 11:52 PM
Silver Member

Deffinately get seal kits for them. Get the pistons out an if there is only a little corrosion, go at the pistons with zero grade wire wool. If the pistons have pitted with corrosion or are scored, search eBay for a company called big red. They do replacement pistons and seal kits..
Used them for my 2 pot refurb and can't complain.
They do decent parts
Old 02-08-2015, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

Make sure you give the bores a good clean and the grooves where the o rings sit, I bought a set of refurbed 4 pots with stainless pistons and even they're sticking where they weren't cleaned up properly first.
Difficult to tell from the photo but make sure you have a left and a right as they are different.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:17 AM

Not sure why theyre different colours they came with my car.
Thanks for the info guys ill give it a go once ive got the 0arts together. Ill take lots of photo and maybe do a guide... well sort of
Old 02-08-2015, 10:53 AM
Gold Member

I've tried re-furbing a set, and I gave up, the time and effort it takes to get it right, vs sending it off to Godspeed or similar as mentioned above doesn't equate.

If they seals are alright, and they just need quick paint, then mask them up and use spray, and do it over a period of a few nights, slowly building the layers up.

Are they a pair, are the bleed nipples pointing upwards when you stand them up?
Old 02-08-2015, 10:53 AM

How can i tell whats what? 1 of these have a #1 on and the other has a #2.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:40 PM
Gold Member

Bleed nipples are on the back, lay them out as they would be on the car, and if they are at the tops on both sides, all is fine.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:43 PM

Started the strip down and found out why i had 2 different coloured calipers. Looks like someones just painted 1 in uellow without sorting out the old paint �� but it gives me something to do while the misses is out ☺