South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Wheels,Tyres & Brakes

Old 30-12-2015, 02:37 PM
Bronze Member

Default Help please. What is this?

As above, when inspecting the rear brakes I've found this is cracked. I can't find out what it is or what it does. So any ideas, and is it going to cause problems if I don't fix it right away?
Thanks, Paul.
Old 30-12-2015, 02:42 PM
Gold Member

Looks like the ABS ring.

I'm no expert though!
Old 30-12-2015, 02:53 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Agree, looks like the ABS ring and it's about to loose a chunk. May of been damaged whilst trying to remove/leaver out old brake shoes.

It needs a repair or replace as it will cause ABS faults or even jam in the drum assembly if it falls off.
Old 30-12-2015, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

If its still working ok, no abs light or anything..... give it a clean and stick it together with some epoxy putty

Dont use the putty on the notched side, just along the top bottom and back...

It only spins round for the sensor to read, no load or anything...... so repair the crack, saves removing all the hub etc etc and makes a cheap fix
Old 30-12-2015, 03:57 PM
Bronze Member

Cheers lads. I might've damage it knocking the old disc off I suppose. It was a bit of a pain to get off, and must've been catching on the shoes as it pulled the rusty retaining pins off. I'll have a look how much they are as my wheels won't be back till the 6th.
Old 30-12-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowsdad View Post
Cheers lads. I might've damage it knocking the old disc off I suppose. It was a bit of a pain to get off, and must've been catching on the shoes as it pulled the rusty retaining pins off. I'll have a look how much they are as my wheels won't be back till the 6th.

Did you pop a screwdriver in the little 'window' round the back of the hub assembly? There is a rubber bung/grommet that covers access to the adjuster, it (the adjuster) can be moved with a bladed screwdriver and free off the shoes from the inside of the disk. Couldn't remove my disks until I did this but it's a right pain and very awkward, especially if you adjust it the wrong way!
Old 30-12-2015, 05:09 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NL03Scooby View Post
Did you pop a screwdriver in the little 'window' round the back of the hub assembly? There is a rubber bung/grommet that covers access to the adjuster, it (the adjuster) can be moved with a bladed screwdriver and free off the shoes from the inside of the disk. Couldn't remove my disks until I did this but it's a right pain and very awkward, especially if you adjust it the wrong way!
No I think that's where I went wrong. I just let the handbrake off and used 2 m8 bolts to push the disc off. Not sure how that damaged the abs ring though.
Old 30-12-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowsdad View Post
No I think that's where I went wrong. I just let the handbrake off and used 2 m8 bolts to push the disc off. Not sure how that damaged the abs ring though.

I can only guess a lip on the inside of the disk pulled the shoes away with the disk in to the abs ring, the ring taking brunt of the force as the disk was forced off with the shoes caught up it?
Old 30-12-2015, 09:37 PM
Authorised Trader

seen it many times and its the "tone" ring you have damaged by not releasing the h/brake adjuster..............

you need to split the hub and bearing to replace

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 30-12-2015, 10:00 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperformance View Post
seen it many times and its the "tone" ring you have damaged by not releasing the h/brake adjuster..............

you need to split the hub and bearing to replace
Unfortunately I didn't research well enough before using the M8 bolt method to remove the disc. My own fault, but I like to learn by doing. I'll try some liquid metal tomorrow to see if that does the trick, if not it'll be a garage job once I have my wheels back. If I'd just stopped at doing the seals on the brakes it wouldn't have happened. Even there it seems like the pads were slightly too wide and jammed into the calliper, so the seals didn't need doing. Bloody garages.
Old 31-12-2015, 04:49 PM
Bronze Member

So when trying to fix the tone ring two pieces just fell off in my hand and I ended up with this.

Oops! But with some adhesive, epoxy metal putty and some little modelling files I managed to get it to this.

Now to my eye it looks bang on. So hopefully it'll hold together ok and be good enough for the sensor. That I won't find out till the wheels are back on. On the plus side my brakes are all finished and back on the car and just need bleeding.
Old 31-12-2015, 06:28 PM
Gold Member

Looks okay in the pic.

It's not a part under stress/load, so fingers' crossed it'll work for you.

Saves some faff if so!
Old 31-12-2015, 08:40 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banstead Stig View Post
It's not a part under stress/load,
I am not so sure but I am no expert, what about the centrifugal force?

I would not want to go even up to the speed limit, let alone going to somewhere like the Ring, which Willowsdad has mentioned an interest recently.
Old 31-12-2015, 08:54 PM
Bronze Member

It's pretty well stuck together. I'm more worried about the readings the abs will get if its not exactly as was. I'm sure any problems would show up soon enough. Most it might get put through this year is a brands taster day.
Old 31-12-2015, 09:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
I am not so sure but I am no expert, what about the centrifugal force?

I would not want to go even up to the speed limit, let alone going to somewhere like the Ring, which Willowsdad has mentioned an interest recently.
I'm not an expert either, but its purpose suggests it just spins. The forces on that should be pretty low given how small it is.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:12 PM
Gold Member

ok for a temporary fix...id be buying new one if it was me...
Old 01-01-2016, 07:02 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by munk View Post
ok for a temporary fix...id be buying new one if it was me...