South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Show 'N' Shine

Show 'N' Shine Cleaning / Detailing Talk

Old 18-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Silver Member

Default Next step!! Clay bar??

Right guys,

After months of trying different polishers and waxes, I've found the combination of Auto Glyms super resin polish and Meguiars NXT Tech wax 2.0 is very good, so be sticking with that in future.

The next step I think is Clay bar, Which ones have you guys found the best and are they easier enough to use for an amateur like me??

A few pics below of my weekends activity using Auto Glyms Polish and Meguiars NXT tech wax.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG044_zpsa945d034.jpg (89.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG045_zps106a9299.jpg (92.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG046_zpsda537528.jpg (96.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG047_zps6efda7ab.jpg (91.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG048_zpsd0699c65.jpg (90.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG049_zps700d7a32.jpg (91.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 18-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Any of the std types will be fine, I find the Megs kit the best with two gentle bars and a good lube!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 18-03-2013, 03:24 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Clays bars are fine to use. First off I would go for one thats not too aggressive. I generally use the meguires one which can be found in halfords or on sites like polishedbliss.co.uk.

Wash the car first making sure all the loose dirt is off.

Warm the clay a bit by squeezing it with your hands until it is a bit loose/soft.

The meguires one comes with a bottle of speed detailer to use as lube (ooh err!!). Do one panel at a time, spray the detailer on and the rub the clay bar over the panel lightly. If you feel it 'drying up' spray more detailer on. The key is to keep the clay moving freely.

I would recommend going around the top of the car first (i.e roof, bonnet, boot lid top, and tops of panels) and then do the bottom of the panels last as thats where the majority of the muck will come from.

Worth noting between each panel (or when necessary) 'need' the clay bar again in your hands so it is clean. I often find a rinse in warm water helps this)

Wash the car again to get rid of any remnents of clay, polish and seal/wax.

Remember that claying will strip any wax you already have on the car off, hence needing to do it again.

You will see/feel a big difference in the paint after, and its alot easier to keep on top of by just topping up the wax every 3 or 4 weeks.

If you need a hand mate, give me a shout. I miss cleaning a scoob lol.

Steve

Last edited by Lucky; 19-03-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 18-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post
Any of the std types will be fine, I find the Megs kit the best with two gentle bars and a good lube!
Thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Clays bars are fine to use. First off I would go for one thats not too aggressive. I generally use the meguires one which can be found in halfords or on sites like polishedbliss.co.uk.

Wash the car first making sure all the loose dirt is off.

Warm the clay a bit by squeezing it with your hands until it is a bit loose/soft.

The meguires one comes with a bottle of speed detailer to use as lube (ooh err!!). Do one panel at a time, spray the detailer on and the rub the clay bar over the panel lightly. If you feel it 'drying up' spray more detailer on. The key is to keep the clay moving freely.

I would recommend going around the top of the car first (i.e roof, bonnet, boot, and tops of panels) and then do the bottom of the panels last as thats where the majority of the muck will come from.

Worth noting between each panel (or when necessary) 'need' the clay bar again in your hands so it is clean. I often find a rinse in warm water helps this)

Wash the car again to get rid of any remnents of clay, polish and seal/wax.

Remember that claying will strip any wax you already have on the car off, hence needing to do it again.

You will see/feel a big difference in the paint after, and its alot easier to keep on top of by just topping up the wax every 3 or 4 weeks.

If you need a hand mate, give me a shout. I miss cleaning a scoob lol.

Steve
Cheers Steve

I've just brought the Meguires kit, so the next nice weekend I'll give it a bash.

Thanks for the offer to help mate, if i get stuck I'll give you a shout.

Sam
Old 18-03-2013, 05:28 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Cool. I've tried all sorts and to be fair the Meguires kit is as good as any in my opinion.
Old 18-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Cool. I've tried all sorts and to be fair the Meguires kit is as good as any in my opinion.
Plus one for the megs kit! Very good.

I'm currently trying the MER kit though and I'm not as impressed with the lube compared to the megs or the fact that the clay bar is blue which is hard to see what you've exactley Removed. Plus I find the blue MER clay harder to kneed.
Old 18-03-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorscooby View Post
Plus one for the megs kit! Very good.

I'm currently trying the MER kit though and I'm not as impressed with the lube compared to the megs or the fact that the clay bar is blue which is hard to see what you've exactley Removed. Plus I find the blue MER clay harder to kneed.
Rich, now you are just showing off as you can spell 'kneed'
Old 18-03-2013, 07:14 PM
Gold Member

I use meguires aswell mate seems pretty good.plus most halfrauds stock it..
Old 18-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Gold Member

If the Megs kit isn't available the T-cut kit is pretty similar.

I was warned of the Turtle Wax one... bit abrasive apparently.
Old 18-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

Cheers for the advice guys, I picked up the Megs kit this afternoon.

Will give it a bash the next dry weekend.
Old 18-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Do boot and rear bumper last.
You will be suprised how much crap comes off the back.

I also use it on the side windows amd rear screen.
Some speed detailers also bring the black plastics on the roof gutters and window surrounds (not rubbers) up a treat.
Old 18-03-2013, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Do boot and rear bumper last.
You will be suprised how much crap comes off the back.

I also use it on the side windows amd rear screen.
Some speed detailers also bring the black plastics on the roof gutters and window surrounds (not rubbers) up a treat.
Thanks Scott.

The boot and rear bumper was the reason I looked into getting a clay kit, even after a good polish and wax, the grime and dirt was still quite visible up close
Old 19-03-2013, 02:00 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

The autoglym bar is very good but I couldn't get on with their QD.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 25-03-2014, 11:33 AM

go on www.cleanyourcar.com - they do a 3 pack of clay bars in a box - all different grades. Start with the finest, so as not to cause to much damage if you do it wrong (not enough lube for instance) as this will cause less holograms. Once you've perfected it - go over again with medium bar. Its pretty easy once you get going - just remember - you can never have enough lube! ha ha