South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Show 'N' Shine

Show 'N' Shine Cleaning / Detailing Talk

Old 29-03-2014, 08:07 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Default Poorboys Black Hole

Thought I'd pop this up as a recommendation....a picture tells a thousand words and all that.........

Old 29-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

Now that must be some good stuff .
Old 29-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

black hole is a good glaze for sure the white diamond on the lighter colours is good to

what LSP have you used over it?
Old 29-03-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepieman View Post
black hole is a good glaze for sure the white diamond on the lighter colours is good to

what LSP have you used over it?
Menzerna Final finish was done before, the Black Hole is my is LSP....nowt else in my cupboard without a 'cut' to go on top other then Nasty's paste wax.

What do you recommend ?
Old 29-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

put the nattys on top, the black hole is good but is only really a glaze so should go between final finish and sealent / wax LSP

Its ok as a QD but the fillers won't last too long if you don't finish it off

invest in some chemical guy's V07 as a QD / LSP top up (its very good)
Old 29-03-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepieman View Post
put the nattys on top, the black hole is good but is only really a glaze so should go between final finish and sealent / wax LSP

Its ok as a QD but the fillers won't last too long if you don't finish it off

invest in some chemical guy's V07 as a QD / LSP top up (its very good)
Cheers Ron, will look into getting some. Always good to have something new to try. Shame though as just got a new delivery of Snow Foam and VRP dressing.
Old 29-03-2014, 10:58 PM
Silver Member

Stunning results
Old 30-03-2014, 07:35 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

I've always used the full Poorboys set, black hole glaze, exp seal then Nattys blue.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 30-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Gold Member

Looks impressive.

I have a couple of questions:

Would this be suitable for my shade of grey?

My wife's Impreza (which is black) has lots of swirls and what have you. Would this help? I think it needs a bit more remedial action to be honest, but not quite sure how best to approach it.
Old 30-03-2014, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

Obviously don't want to detract from Scott's pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banstead Stig View Post
Looks impressive.

I have a couple of questions:

(1) Would this be suitable for my shade of grey?

(2) My wife's Impreza (which is black) has lots of swirls and what have you. Would this help?

(3) I think it needs a bit more remedial action to be honest, but not quite sure how best to approach it.
Firstly a glaze is more for refinement than producing a finish. Normally used more on either fresh paint, where heavy cutting isn't an option and a breathable finish is required or when the polishing stages are not finished down correctly.

With the newer final polishes out there, you can finish so fine and correct so much that in many cases a glaze for the purpose its used for is not really necessary. Most glazes are now used to refine / disguise buffer marring, light etching where for whatever reason the polish stage gas not been finished.

On the flip side, most of the newer 'glazes' now have added extra's as in oling agents , emulsifiers etc etc which start to work on the finish layering ie lightening or darkening the paint, adding reflection and depth........ its a stage that some don't think is necessary...... IMHO it benefits the finish and is a stage worth using.

Back to the questions....(added points to make clearer)

(1) Yes, it would work on your shade of grey however the white diamond would fit your colour category better IMO although read on to save pennies

(2) Yes, it would 'help' although working off your description you would probably be better of with chemical guys glossworkz glaze which would work equally well on both cars if you do try just the glaze remember that you can layer them (work according to times of relevent products)

(3) Depends how bad and what you are after, a glaze may be all you need (finishing with your chosen LSP) if you require more again you have options.... general off the shelf products from the big store type places will enable you to get a good finish (some people swear by them!) however most of these are 'filler' heavy and cover more than correct, so it doesn't take long for you to think the swirls are back again.

You need to be looking at true polishes that have the correct levels of cut for the finish you desire, unless you have a paint depth meter always start with the lightest cut you have. Remember always to stop once you have the finish level you require, each and every part of the car will not require the same level of correction

(3a) get it detailed and then just look after it

On a side note:

I'm happy to pop the paint depth gauge in the car (if people are interested) for a few meets if people want to do there own cars at least that way, you'll go home knowing what areas of the paint you need to take car on HTH
Old 30-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Gold Member

That is very helpful.

The Impreza's paint is a bit more in the latter camp I think, i.e. a bit more cutting required.

There are some proper scrapes on the corners from the previous owner, which was reflected in the price, but overall the swirls and marks are a bit of a frustration.

The Foz is far better, but has a few bits I'm not happy with. Some marks have come out recently on part of the body kit on the driver's door where it was either sprayed poorly or fitted before dry. A couple of bits have almost flaked. I reckon it can be touched in, but now the sun is out I want the pair gleaming!

Last edited by Banstead Stig; 30-03-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 31-03-2014, 12:08 PM

Awesome looking paint... I use chemical guys V36/V38 for polishing, then Jetseal 109, and top off with Pete's 53 wax. Then use Chem guys detailer to top up and keep clean...