South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Wheels,Tyres & Brakes

Old 24-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

Default dumb question

Please excuse this dumb question,but the other day I decided to swap around the wheels on my car(front to back and left to right) but now it has a wobble at around 50 to 65 and then get less noticable.
Any ideas why ?
would they need balancing?

Also can I get the tracking done or does it have to be the full geo set up?I dont really want to fork out for a full set up with the roads the way they are at the moment but I did have the car lowered so I would have thought something should be checked.

Jason
Old 24-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Authorised Trader

if your car was lowered it will alter the geometry so yes a full set-up would normally be needed.............we do this as a matter of course if we fit springs/shocks/etc.....

as for the wobble sounds most likely that you have a slight imbalance on one of the wheels

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 24-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

i've had this before, put it down to the tyres wearing more unevenly on the front than the back (geo settings) so the car would sit slightly differently once swapped.
Old 24-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Bronze Member

Are the tyres "directional"?
If you swap them side to side they will be rotating backwards!!
Old 25-03-2011, 08:02 AM
admin

with all the above......

and theres no such thing as a dumb question
Old 25-03-2011, 08:23 AM
SES Mercedes Division

Could put them back on the corners they came off and see if the wobble goes again to make sure its not just coincidence
Old 25-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Silver Member

saw a scoobie on a forecourt in croydon with the directional tyres on every corner going the wrong way!!!!!!
Old 25-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonairheadz View Post
saw a scoobie on a forecourt in croydon with the directional tyres on every corner going the wrong way!!!!!!
Thats for sideways parking.....or the driver was a fiddler crab
Old 25-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyney View Post
Are the tyres "directional"?
If you swap them side to side they will be rotating backwards!!
Checked and no there not so I think i will have to swap them back and see if it goes back to normal
Old 25-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Silver Member

also just to add can i take it to have the tracking done,I mean can a garage that does tracking do it on a 4wd car ?
Old 25-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Authorised Trader

tracking is simply the alignment of the s/rack, most places can sort this easy enough (although make sure they adjust it correctly to keep your s/wheel aligned!!)

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 13-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonairheadz View Post
Handles great in reverse