South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Studio > Photography Discussion

Photography Discussion All your photographic chit chat

Old 09-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Regular User

Default new lens for nikon D60

i am only just realy getting to grips with having a digital slr camera and the D60 is a entry level camera the draw back is it dosent have a lens motor drive in the camera, so i have to buy lens with a built in motor mainly (afs lens)

tha camera bundle come with a 18 to 55 mm lens and a 55 to 200mm lens

i want to get a longer lens for when i go to the F1 again, but money is being spent else were at the moment but sarah has said she might be able to buy me one for my birthday if it isnt to much money,
the main reason for buying a longer lens is i was limited to the distance i could take a picture mainly side on, i couldnt get any pictures of cars coming out of the corners
idealy i need a 400mm lens but think thay are out of my price range
the other thing is im not good enough with the manuel focus yet! so need the built in motor to do the focus work for me,

i tend to work out what position i intend to take picture, focus on that point then lock the focus and follow car through to that point and take a burst of pics

i have found a lens on park cameras web site
link http://www.parkcameras.com/8792/Sigm...40x--D60-.html

i know that sigma lens arnt as good as nikon but this lens i think might be good enough for me, it has the same sort of f stops as my lenses plus has a macro button for doing close ups this apeals, park cameras have said that i can have a play with the lens at their shop but cars wont be doing 100mph past it, well unless i have some volenters

thing is afriend of mine has told me to stay away, and it isnt good enough but this friend also didnt manage to get one desent picture at the F1 last year because he wouldnt pan on the cars, and he has a better camera and lenses, he blames his lack of good pictures on his lenses, this i know isnt true

please can i have your opinons or am i wasting my money and trying to cut a corner
Old 09-05-2010, 01:12 PM
worzel

Simon, glad to see another of the converted to DSLR's.

Sigma make extremely good lenses and in some cases they do actually make as good or better than the own brand equivalent. 50mm Prime 1.4 to name just one. As a rule of thumb though, major brands are that bit better.

I took my pictures at the ring last year with a Sigma 70 - 200 1: 2.8 APO DG. Take a look at the pictures that took and I'm sure you'll see that it is a more than capable bit of glass. These retail at around £660.00. Now, I have recently upgraded this lens focal range by purchasing a Nikon lens which was a few sheckles more than I wanted to pay but pushed myself a bit. So, my Sigma is going begging. It is 2 years old and in very good condition. I am looking about £350.00 for it.

Have a look at the pics in the ring thread, if you like what you see and want to give it a try, just ask.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:00 AM
Regular User

found a thread of 100 pics put couldnt view them

i will try to post up some of my pics tommorow so you can see why im thinking of a longer lens

also the lens you are thinking of selling does it have the built in motor on lens
Old 11-05-2010, 12:03 AM
worzel

Mate, thats a pain in the harris. You should be able to view pics?

I think someone else has had the same problem recently.

I'll try to sort that out for you