South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 29-04-2016, 06:02 PM
Formerly Taomyn

Question LED bulb recommendations

Now that I have my new 2016 STI, one of the first things I need to change are the horrible standard bulbs that Subaru have insisted on keeping. It's like they they got half-way through the job of converting to LED and simply gave up.

So my first "mod" has been the number plate bulbs as I found some compatible LEDs that I had never used on my old WRX. That's one off the list - 9 more to go.

The rest I should be able to sort out eventually, but what I need is advice on the full-beam bulbs - they're a pair of horrid 60W HB3s. Thankfully the driving lights are already LED. Any recommendations on what to replace them with?

In case it's of interest, this is my spreadsheet of bulbs with replacements and various notes: https://goo.gl/bBoZrN

Last edited by Ferd; 14-06-2016 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Link to spreadsheet of bulbs
Old 16-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Formerly Taomyn

Going to try out one of these to see if an adjustable flasher unit allows me to fine tune the long first flash that also messes up the 3 flash lane changer option.

For under a tenner for a pair, so I have a spare, it's worth a gamble and I'm in no rush to get it so the long shipping times from HK don't bother me.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:38 PM
Formerly Taomyn

The new flasher units arrived today, as always I ordered a spare, so a little job for the weekend will be giving one a go and hopefully sort out my indicators.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:55 PM
Formerly Taomyn

Fitted the new flasher and it's done the trick and now with shorter flashes the 3-lane flash does its 3 flashes.

It does seem a little faster than stock, but I can live with that better than it was before.

So that's all the old bulbs replaced by LEDs except for the fogs/DRLs as I can't source the correct ones cheaply, and the vanity mirror lights which I can't be bothered with.
Old 28-09-2016, 10:25 PM
Formerly Taomyn

Default Mission Accomplished

Finally I'm done with LED bulb replacements having just replaced the DRLs and Fogs with some I sourced direct from China - they needed to be slimmer and shorter than all the others I have seen/tried and I wasn't prepared to get the ones which don't come covered and are basically a bare circuit board stuck on the end of the base. The new fogs were perfect and went in without a hitch, the DRLs were slightly more of a pain as the small rubber seal around the base was too large and prevented the bulb going in far enough. I tried the seals off the original bulbs but were worse, so in the end I cut a thin strip of duct tape and stuck that around the base which made it a snug fit compared to no seal at all. When the wetter weather is upon us I'll keep an eye in case they start letting water in.

They look so much better than the stocks

I've actually ordered replacement interior bulbs as the LED ones I got originally although working are not very bright having seen what other owners on YouTube have been fitting.
Old 29-09-2016, 08:22 AM

awesome - post some pics up mate

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 29-09-2016, 08:29 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

I'd be interested to know which ones you ended up with. Got any links ?
I'm after some H3 Fog LEDs that don't throw a bulb error (CAN bus)
Old 29-09-2016, 09:00 AM
Formerly Taomyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdlangy1 View Post
awesome - post some pics up mate
I will along with some better ones of the new mudflaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott.T View Post
I'd be interested to know which ones you ended up with. Got any links ?
I'm after some H3 Fog LEDs that don't throw a bulb error (CAN bus)
The link in my original post goes to my spreadsheet of bulbs for the car, but for most of them I got them off eBay from this seller contact him if what you want is not listed he may be able to help, if not trawl through AliExpress which is where the new Fogs/DRLs came from. The H8 fogs I got are these and they do list H3 amongst the fittings.
Old 29-09-2016, 03:25 PM
Gold Member

I also ordered some bulbs from Taomyn ebay seller and the guy couldn't have been more helpful. Quick delivery as well.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:37 PM
Formerly Taomyn

A final note for my LED project - I got the part code for the vanity mirror lights from a Youtuber in Canada (29mm 6641), and ordered the equivalent off eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112223786172

Job done hopefully.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:39 PM

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 13-07-2017, 05:56 PM
Formerly Taomyn

LED project complete.

Old

New

Tags
bulbs, led, lights