South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > 555 Wagon Squadron > 555 Wagon Squadron's AREA 51

555 Wagon Squadron's AREA 51 Enter at your own risk!!!

Old 25-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Regular User

Default Wagon cycle roof mount thingies

I have a classic wagon with raised roof rails.

I tried a rear hatch cycle carrier, but the pedals scratched the spoiler

Anyone got any recommends for roof bars and cycle carriers?

Or anyone got any they don't want any more?

Or are there any rear mounts that hold the bikes away from the spoiler a bit? Or should I just invest in a sheet of foam.

Any advice much appreciated.
Old 25-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Charles

Squadron wagons tend not to carry anything on the roof so I don't think we have any expertise in this area. I wonder if Scoobynet might be a better place to ask. There are several wagon-oriented threads on there you could try.

Old 26-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Regular User

Thanks dude.
Old 26-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Bronze Member

Charles, try this tow bar mounted version...an old pic but I'm sure you get the idea. This was a Halfrauds variant

Old 26-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Bronze Member

Nice pic there!!

I use my bikes alot, so tend to use any means necessary to transport them. I have been using roof bars from halfrauds for a while now, and have been using their carriers too and have no issues at all. The only things are that the locks aren't great, but then when I'm not with the car, I'm on the bike...

The only thing I would say is it depends on the weight of the bike also, I've used them for my bmx, trials bike and xc bike, but the heaviest being around 25lb(xc), but would not consider putting the downhill bike up there (some 42lb's!!) more so because its a long way to lift it up!!

It can be tricky sometimes as you have to line the wheels up to get the arm into position first, so you have a large cantilever where you are holding the bottom of the forks or chain stays whilst getting hitched up etc on your tod.

The ones I am using are the Halfords value roof bars and the halfords 2 roof carrier. I found the only difference with the value roof bars and the more expensive Halfords ones is the value ones do not have a lock!! The bars themselves will only take a certain amount of weight, so I tend to have the carriers toward the mount anyway, I doubt it would be worth running more than 2 bikes tbh. Naturally it is a case of how much do you want to spend, i haven's any others so would not know the differences really.

From a practical point of view, it keeps the bike outside and gives plenty of room in the car. Mud and grit however are not the most welcome things on the roof either. I'll try this link below where i have it strapped to the roof.

The roof mounts are great if you are all in the car fully loaded, but otherwise if I'm on my own or with friends I tend to get the bikes indoors!
Old 26-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Bronze Member

Forgot to mention, my mum uses the tow bar mounted version very similar to Trails (a mounting bracket behind the tow ball which takes the rack) and this keeps the bikes well away from the car. But make sure you got everything you need from the boot easy to reach from inside! We have had 6 bikes on the Forester, 2 on the tow bar, 2 on the roof and 2 in the boot. Fully loaded is not the word!!
Old 27-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBARMAN View Post
Hi Charles

Squadron wagons tend not to carry anything on the roof so I don't think we have any expertise in this area. I wonder if Scoobynet might be a better place to ask. There are several wagon-oriented threads on there you could try.

Like I said, Squadron wagons tend not to carry anything on the roof, WHEN ON A MISSION, I should have said.....but then, what do I know !!

Thanks for your help with this, Guys!!
Old 27-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Regular User

Super info peeps. Trails, does that towbar one fit in the boot out of interest? I don't have a towbar but looks like an interesting option. I often need to borrow a trailer too, so it would make sense.
Old 28-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonza View Post
Nice pic there!!
Cheers Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesr View Post
Super info peeps. Trails, does that towbar one fit in the boot out of interest? I don't have a towbar but looks like an interesting option. I often need to borrow a trailer too, so it would make sense.
Sorry Charles, not entirely sure what you mean...it does physically fit in the boot when not in use though. I can take some ppics tonight of it off the car if that's any good
Old 29-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Regular User

Yeah, that's what I meant. So if for some reason I want to take it off and I'm not at home, it'll fit in the boot for storage.
Old 29-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesr View Post
Yeah, that's what I meant. So if for some reason I want to take it off and I'm not at home, it'll fit in the boot for storage.
it will definitely fit...sorry trains meant I sat at Stratford for 90minuets yesterday and by the time I eventually got home I forgot to take the pics

let me know if you still want them and I'll get them posted.
Old 30-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Regular User

No thanks dude. I'm good!