South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > News, Info, Rules and introductions > News and Announcements

News and Announcements Includes Forum Rules.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:17 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Default Photobucket Users

You may have noticed that all Photobucket hosted images have been disabled and the images replaced with a speedo image and the text '3rd party hosting has been temporarily disabled'; it appears that PB now want $399 per year to host pictures if you want to link to them from elsewhere; if you try to view an album on their site, you spend more time closing pop-up and pop-over adverts than viewing images.

For now, it is recommended that you move your pictures to another host or use your allowance here to host your pictures / signature images.

I've had the email and now all my images have disappeared from the forum!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 07-07-2017, 03:27 PM
Platinum Member

When I was trying to get that pic to post of my M3 off PB it was doing my nut in
Old 07-07-2017, 03:34 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

If you've been spotted you now can't add photobucket images to the forum - if you look at my project thread you will find all the images have gone.

I'm trying to work out if I have the will to move all the images onto another server and re-link them all or if it's simply not worth the effort.

Forums worldwide are now useless as all the images from how too and project threads have gone, along with eBay ads, Amazon ads and all kinds of other areas!

Can somebody see if the images appear in this post - not sure if they will only show for me or not?
http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/v...2&postcount=53
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter

Last edited by SpecB; 07-07-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

They are there for me and my one I just added from Photobucket
Old 07-07-2017, 04:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecB View Post
Can somebody see if the images appear in this post - not sure if they will only show for me or not?
http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/v...2&postcount=53
I can see the images and all photobucket images are still in my project thread?
Old 07-07-2017, 05:34 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecB View Post
You may have noticed that all Photobucket hosted images have been disabled and the images replaced with a speedo image and the text '3rd party hosting has been temporarily disabled'
Have they? All images working normally for me... my car thread has all images in photobucket:
http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/v...ead.php?t=5388

Completely agree they are rubbish these days though, ads everywhere...
Old 07-07-2017, 05:48 PM

Hmmm.... had a google and plenty of news articles about this. E.g.
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/06...over-charging/
https://www.buzzfeed.com/katienotopo...bG7#.dw8NVy7o6

The second link shows some rants on twitter, so I can only assume it is a progressive change and taking them a while to roll out to all users?

My hosted photos are all still available - so either they've got so much bad press they've reversed their decision, or they've not got to me yet. But they must host billions of photos, bulletin board content is heavily dependent on them... would be a right shame if the images all vanished.

edit/ Nick - opened your main thread for the Legacy, and I see the same. All photobucket images broken
Old 07-07-2017, 06:08 PM

Random online news:

Quote:
The worst part of this debacle, according to Ghacks.net, is the fact Photobucket users were apparently given no warning of the change. The subscription features simply changed, and images stopped loading without explanation.

There's hope this is a mistake, or that Photobucket's management will realize the scale of the problem they have created with this change. But if that doesn't happen, expect to see that Photobucket broken link image above many times in the coming months.
Quote:
But this change has also done something terrible for all of us, even people who never even had a Photobucket account: It’s completely broken the internet. Vast swaths of blogs and personal websites from the mid-00s are now full of missing images, replaced with a hideous error message.

This is a crushing loss of internet archaeology. Photobucket's heyday coincides with the height of personal blogging: Free and easy software like Blogger and WordPress made it finally accessible for people with virtually zero technical skills, and reading tools like Google Reader and De.lic.ious made it easy to follow and read blogs. Message boards and Yahoo Groups still thrived, Reddit and 4chan were just picking up steam. People needed a place to host the budding memes like lolcats or Blingees! This was a brief moment of internet history, maybe only 2005–2009, before Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr homogenized the look and feel of the internet and eliminated the need for normal people to have a photo hosting site like Photobucket. The internet felt more spread out, with more random treasures to find — there were tons of different sites to go to, to find, to create. If the GeoCities stage was the awkward teen years of the internet, and today is the mature adult version, that brief Photobucket-heavy phase was the college period where it spread its wings, smoked Parliament Lights while talking endlessly about Tarantino, and tried to pull off a fedora. The internet was big enough to be interesting but small enough to still feel intimate. It was really fun, and now it's disappearing.
I feel sorry for the lolcats
Old 08-07-2017, 10:50 AM
Gold Member

What an idiotic thing to do. Who on earth thought this was a good idea?! If imagine a few heads will be rolling over this...
Old 08-07-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
Have they? All images working normally for me... my car thread has all images in photobucket:
http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/v...ead.php?t=5388
Well they got to my account now too. That's my image threads screwed.

I can understand the reason from a cost perpective (hosting isn't free...) but no communication to users, and then to ask $400/yr is a complete joke.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:15 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

The internet is dead.....thanks PB
Old 09-07-2017, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member

Another one falls fail !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2017, 11:12 AM

Yep - mine are all gone too

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 09-07-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott.T View Post
The internet is dead.....thanks PB
For bulletin boards that thrive on historical blogs with images, it certainly feels like that.

I've just logged into my photobucket account and I've only got ~3400 photos in there, so I'm far from a heavy user. Pretty much every one of those photos will be in a thread somewhere on SES. But not anymore

Its a huge amount of work to fix that...

I was doing some reading about a Chrome extension released last week called 'Photobucket embed fix' which people had commented on to say it made images display on 3rd party sites - but it now looks like Photobucket have found and closed that loophole too. I certainly doesn't work on my system now
Old 09-07-2017, 01:15 PM

I have 3 accounts with thousands of images across multiple forums, just a shame it's gone down hill in this way, the site itself has become ever more "malwareish" over the last year or so, try following a link on one of the embedded account warning images and tries to tell you your phone has a virus
Needless to say as others have said this has broken the interwebs for many and a very silly move by them, can see them going out of business from this as hundreds of thousands leave to host elsewhere, no more advertising and click bate revenue for photo*u*ckit.

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
Well they got to my account now too. That's my image threads screwed.

I can understand the reason from a cost perpective (hosting isn't free...) but no communication to users, and then to ask $400/yr is a complete joke.
I did get a email but it was in my spam folder
Old 09-07-2017, 07:53 PM
Gold Member

I had an E-mail detailing Photobucket account changes last week, but I wasn't sure if it was a phishing E-mail or genuine: seems it was real!

As said, it's a very surprising move and a major pain for all users. Personally I would urge all of you to use another website to host your images. I use Flickr and it is vastly superior to Photobucket, I made the jump when Photobucket altered the interface options a few years ago and, aside from odd images, I rarely bother with PB now.