South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 23-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Regular User

Default Flywheel problem

Hi I have a 01 bugeye wrx and has the same problem as few posts down . Took it to a mechanic to have a slipping clutch changed but got a feeling the flywheel is shot . Since iv picked it up its got a real bad judder pulling away and changing down gears and a pulsing clutch pedal But once foot is of pedal it pulls and drives fine . If some could confirm it sounds like a flywheel it's would be a great .
Old 23-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Flywheel normally needs to be skimmed or replaced at each clutch change, very rare they are ok!
What clutch did you have fitted, was it a exedy by any chance?
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 23-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Regular User

Yeah think it was . Hopefuly i can get a skim or even a new flywheel . The judder is that bad even the dash board dose a little dance . May even scrap the clutch and start again with another .
Old 23-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post
Flywheel normally needs to be skimmed or replaced at each clutch change, very rare they are ok!
What clutch did you have fitted, was it a exedy by any chance?

have messed on with scoobs for over 10yrs and the exact opposite is my experience.............a lot of clutch suppliers tend to blame the flywheel but its suprising to find one that requires changing unless used/abused hard.......

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 23-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Regular User

I no when the fella put it on the truck he give it a good pasting on the revs it stunk like hell . Even after a drive to the garage the fitter said the flywheel was pretty dam hot when striped down . Just found out that there was a possible high spot but he fort it might be ok . So hope if I get it skimmed of get a new one it sorts it out .
Old 24-09-2012, 06:01 AM

Is it an exedy stage 1 clutch by any chance? I had two on my bug the first juddered like hell even on a brand new flywheel.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 24-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeye-Steve View Post
I no when the fella put it on the truck he give it a good pasting on the revs it stunk like hell . Even after a drive to the garage the fitter said the flywheel was pretty dam hot when striped down . Just found out that there was a possible high spot but he fort it might be ok . So hope if I get it skimmed of get a new one it sorts it out .
Which Exedy clutch was it specifically? FK01H601, FK01H1601, FJK2022?

In my experience a slipping clutch can cause high spots on the flywheel and when you fit a new clutch with the high spots still there you will get judder. Been there and done that, a new flywheel sorted (although a skim is usually suffice).
  • SuperHIDs
  • KS3/KS4/Pro Knock Analysers
Call us on 01462 600241 or email aztecperformance@gmail.com

Secure online webstore:www.AztecPerformance.co.uk
Old 28-11-2014, 12:04 AM
Regular User

Default plz help got same judder problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeye-Steve View Post
Hi I have a 01 bugeye wrx and has the same problem as few posts down . Took it to a mechanic to have a slipping clutch changed but got a feeling the flywheel is shot . Since iv picked it up its got a real bad judder pulling away and changing down gears and a pulsing clutch pedal But once foot is of pedal it pulls and drives fine . If some could confirm it sounds like a flywheel it's would be a great .
how did you sort the judder problem i just changed clutch got the same problem took it bk out and got flywheel skimmed it still ther but not as bad .it was an excedy .probaly gona scrap it an get a new fly wheel and clutch .wat would you recommend putting in .havent got car very long new it was gonna need clutch changed it was starting to slip but it didnt judder b4
Old 28-11-2014, 12:12 AM
Regular User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post
Is it an exedy stage 1 clutch by any chance? I had two on my bug the first juddered like hell even on a brand new flywheel.
hello how did you sort the judder problem
Old 28-11-2014, 07:00 AM

AP racing clutch!