South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > Non Scooby / Non Car Related

Non Scooby / Non Car Related Anything Non-Scooby related.

Old 29-03-2010, 06:16 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Default Whining Zafira - any idea's?

Anyone got any experience with 1.9 Cdti vauxhalls?. My Mrs's Zafira seems to have a whine/wistle at low rev's. Its been in a couple of times now as I suspected it is the turbo, but each time they have said they cant find anything wrong, despite agreeing that it is noisey. . We have only had the car 4 weeks, and it is under warranty, so not too worried, but if there is something wrong, I would rather it got sorted now. Its a 55 plate with 72k.
Old 29-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Bronze Member

Couldn't be the auxillary belt could it! The belt on my old Galaxy started as a very light whistle at low revs and disappeared higher up. Damp weather of late could cause this I'm no expert, rather, thinking out loud

Ok, so it's not an Impreza but I need room for the dog so
Old 29-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX??? View Post
Have the gearbox fluid checked or changed
not sure how you came to this assumption? the o.p has said its a rev related fault.

you say at low revs,dose the noise chance the higher/lower the revs? is the noise speed related? where is the noise? more noisey when cold/hot?

seeing we are all having a guess i am thinking maybe its an egr valve fault

tone
Old 29-03-2010, 10:17 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-jaffacake-tone View Post
not sure how you came to this assumption? the o.p has said its a rev related fault.

you say at low revs,dose the noise chance the higher/lower the revs? is the noise speed related? where is the noise? more noisey when cold/hot?

seeing we are all having a guess i am thinking maybe its an egr valve fault

tone

Hi Tone,

It happens between 1500rpm and 2500rpm. Its a kind of wind noise. Now you mention it I seem to recall these suffering with faulty egr valves. Cheers for the suggestions guys

Steve
Old 29-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Gold Member

vauxhall gearboxes are worst than imprezas,

The late Cdti egr sysums always fail, can make noises when the pluger inside gets stuck with carbon diposts, the plunger get stuck 1/2 open when it needs to be closed then you get a noise witch sounds like loud turbo spool, can also stall and throw the eml on.

really need to listern to the noise rather than guessing at the common faults

tone
Old 29-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Gold Member

Right....yes these suffer from bad EGR problems (and will not always put the light on), but that will not cause a whistling noise.
These Fiat engines have no thin white vac pipes on (your thinking old Vectra Ron).

From what you are describing it sounds like turbo noise, some of these can sound quite noisy as they spool up, will check on the system tomorrow for you as remember an old remedy ref turbo noise i think......watch this space
Old 29-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Gold Member

An EGR fault will cause lack of low down power, which from what i've read your not complaining of. Is it driving ok? e.g no lack of power, lights on etc?
Old 29-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Gold Member

rich had a one in a coulpe of weeks ago with wistle at low rev's cleaned egr valve it helped so relplaced it sorted the problem :S
Old 29-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-jaffacake-tone View Post
rich had a one in a coulpe of weeks ago with wistle at low rev's cleaned egr valve it helped so relplaced it sorted the problem :S
Cool....the sooner they delete EGR the better really, think i only changed about 5 today
Old 29-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Gold Member

Can they be mapped out?
Old 30-03-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBoy View Post
An EGR fault will cause lack of low down power, which from what i've read your not complaining of. Is it driving ok? e.g no lack of power, lights on etc?

Hi mate,

I drives fine, no lack of power, no engine light, just this weird whistleing noise, that could well be spool up noise (just seems noisy). Guys, I've had more help on here in the last 24 hours, than from the 2 garages that looked and from a vauxhall forum, so a big THANK YOU to you all
Old 30-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
My mates not long brought a 59 plate 1.9CDTI vectra (again used as a cab) he's now having so much trouble with the diesel particulate filter system!!!! hes not going to get another vauxhall after this one!
This problem is caused by lack of info to and from the sales guys (not a Vauxhall problem), there are 2 types that they do (1 with DPF and 1 without), if he is using it as a taxi then DPF is no good for him what so ever. If he reads his manual (like people should lol), it will tell him in there that it should be given a long continuous run at over 2k rpm for about 20-30mins to clear the DPF, short stop start driving that taxi's do will only clog up the DPF and it never gets a chance to clear.
Old 30-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyscoob View Post
Hi mate,

I drives fine, no lack of power, no engine light, just this weird whistleing noise, that could well be spool up noise (just seems noisy). Guys, I've had more help on here in the last 24 hours, than from the 2 garages that looked and from a vauxhall forum, so a big THANK YOU to you all
As has already been mentioned, it's hard to diagnose a noise over a forum, really need to hear it to say if it's a problem noise or not. Has it been into your main dealer down there? If so do you know what they have done?
Old 30-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thing is though! what about all these people that buy them and only use them for short journeys, surely will have same issue?
Yep they sure are, and it's keeping us very busy.

The salesman should be asking these questions before selling them.

And once the DPF is blocked to the point that it won't run there is no way of unblocking it.....only £959+vat for a new one (and cannot be claimed under warranty)

Last edited by DukeBoy; 30-03-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 30-03-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBoy View Post
As has already been mentioned, it's hard to diagnose a noise over a forum, really need to hear it to say if it's a problem noise or not. Has it been into your main dealer down there? If so do you know what they have done?

Thats the confusing bit buddy. The garage I bought it from say it's been into Frosts at Newhaven, who apparantly replaced a couple of pipes, thinking this was what was causing it. I then picked the car up, but its exactly the same, so to satisfy my own curiosity I took it to frosts myself. A mechanic listened, said he thought it could be the turbo, but without further investigation, couldn't be sure (fair enough). Now apparantly, it has been back to frosts, and nothing wrong?. Thinking of taking it to another VX dealer to get a second opinion tho. It just worries me when a mechanic says it definately isnt right, and then all of a sudden its fine.

The only saving grace is that it is under warranty, so I guess I'll have to keep driving it and see if it gets any worse. Its just not something you need when you have laid out £8k for a new car.
Old 30-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Gold Member

Was it brought from a Vx dealer? Whos the warranty with, just the garage you brought it from?

I pressume the selling garage is footing the bill for you when it goes to Frosts? If so ask them if you can take it to another Vx dealer for a second opinion and get it booked in at Frosts Haywards Heath and i'll give you my opinion and try and get this sorted for you
Old 31-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Silver Member

open the door and let her out!
Old 31-03-2010, 09:32 AM

Your a star matey. I will get onto them. The car was bought from Brooklyn Motors who are actually Hyundai dealers, and they have been pretty good so far. The warranty I believe is through the RAC, but I'd need to check. TBH I may ewven run it up to HH myself at somepoint so you can stick your head under and see what you think.

Once again mate, really appreciate your help on this.

Steve
Old 31-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Rich, Are you sure they sell one without the DPF?
It's not sold as an option, it goes on the weight of the vehicle (i.e spec etc), if it's an auto or estate i think your'll find its over the wieght so will have DPF.
The easiest way to tell is on the chassis plate on the o/s b'post, in the bottom left hand corner of the plate in a little square box is a 3 digit number....IIRC....0.50 has DPF anything higher doesn't (will double check the figures if you req)