South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 16-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

Default decat pipe

If i was to get a de-cat down pipe,
firstly would i notice more power, secondly would it require a re-map after and thirdly is there a lambda sensor that gets removed? If so what happens to it? 05 WRX
Old 16-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Default Re: decat pipe

Rich mate dont worry.

I am sure its fast enough for the "RING"
Old 16-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

You can change it to a decatt but the CEL will come on . yes you will notice adifference
Remapp advisable
I believe you have a catt in the up-pipe and if so would think your be better off getting ride first as its just a resister to fix that one & cheaper
Old 16-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG E
Rich mate dont worry.

Your so worried im gonna be quicker than you!! im just after a little more power but also a little more noise. dont wanna change my back box as i like the style though
Old 16-04-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorscooby
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG E
Rich mate dont worry.

Your so worried im gonna be quicker than you!! im just after a little more power but also a little more noise. dont wanna change my back box as i like the style though
Not at all worried mate.

I remember (just) how expensive it was when I got married.
Old 16-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

[quote=BIG E]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "BIG E":260cq6pw
Rich mate dont worry.

Not at all worried mate.

I remember (just) how expensive it was when I got married. [/quote:260cq6pw]

Yeah tell me about it, but all is cool on the wedding front finances! gotta get these bits and piece's sorted and have some fun before i hear tiny feet running around!
Old 16-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

No cat in the up-pipe on a 2003> only 2001-2002.
The decat downpipe for the newage should have the lambda boss in the bottom for the lambda to fit into. After a while the CEL will light with P0420 CAT efficeincey below threshold

This can be bypassed with a resistor fix, or reflashed with the CEL disabled (5 min job to reflash standard MAP with CEL disabled) or would be done as part of a remap.

Without a remap you may see slight boost spiking and a slightly leaner mixture. But they run as rich as hell, so not really a problem.
Old 16-04-2009, 09:08 PM

Tiny feet ??

Is there some thing else on the way then??
Old 16-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Nige

Mmmmm de cat d/pipe just fitted one. I wasnt to sure at first but i like it now. You can here the turbo whistle & a slightly deeper tone out the back. Buy it mate. Mind your fingers on the 14mm nearest to the inner wing.It hurts.
Old 16-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Crowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige
Mmmmm de cat d/pipe just fitted one. I wasnt to sure at first but i like it now. You can here the turbo whistle & a slightly deeper tone out the back. Buy it mate. Mind your fingers on the 14mm nearest to the inner wing.It hurts.
Nige
I thought the same when i did mine, was worried about the sound of the turbo, soon get used to it though.
Old 17-04-2009, 06:55 AM
Platinum Member

Cheers guys for clearing things up as usual, especially scott!
Have started looking around and found one on japspeed site for £159 but i have an order of some brakes coming in from dave f at demon tweeks so i may see what he can do if i add to the order!

And Ian no kiddy's as yet! well i dont think there on the way, erm............
Old 17-04-2009, 07:53 AM
Crowman

Rich
I brought stainless headers from Japspeed, they blew from new, i had the flanges skimmed as they were like bananas.
Headers were there so called spec 2 best ones,£245 plus £40 for the skimming and still they blew.
I called Japspeed they said sorry but as you have fitted them we will not change them.
There attitude stank.

I would never go any where near them again

I actually got a set off of ebay which seem really good.
Word of advice, If you do go for headers do not go for the 2 bolt type with seperate up pipe, they are ****e.

Check out piston heads or ebay there are plenty of stainless downpipes, Remember as they are stainless it dos'nt matter if they are 2nd hand as still look like new.
Old 17-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Nige

Isn't it bloody marvelous how people get treated. Now Japspeed where good as gold with me. I had tried two other well known make's with no luck i had to send them back. The Japspeed one was well made & fitted . Maybe they have improved there service of late. Not trying to poo on what Crowman has said it sounds like he had a nightmare. I just wish they would treat everyone the same
Old 17-04-2009, 07:01 PM

If you looking at £159, then I would recommend you go for any of these :

Hayward & Scott downpipe cat removal @ £182
http://www.haywardandscott.com/Details. ... ategory=13

ScoobyWorld AfterBurner @ £171 (made by H&S)
http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/pr ... cts_id=447
2nd cat removel an additional £100 : http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/pr ... cts_id=179

Revolution @ £219 but also does away with 2nd cat (double check with them though, as the picture looks like the pipe is long enough to remove 2nd cat)
http://www.revolution247.com/exhausts-m ... 461-0.html
Old 17-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

Going by what Martyn has said about japspeed i will probaly stear clear of them, service may be o.k Nige but dont want to take the down pipe off ever five minutes if its not fitting correctly or warping!

I did look at the scoobyworld one and its more than likely the one ill go for.
must get under the car tomorrow and see whats involved, cant be that hard?
Old 18-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Crowman

Rich
I do not know about the quality of ther down pipes, as Nige says he reckons thay look good, and they may be.
All i do know is their 2 peice 2 bolt headers are complete ****e, poorly made and just dont fit wel at all.
Old 18-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman
Rich
I do not know about the quality of ther down pipes, as Nige says he reckons thay look good, and they may be.
All i do know is their 2 peice 2 bolt headers are complete ****e, poorly made and just dont fit wel at all.
When you say two peice do you mean both down pipe and lower cat section after that before the centre piece, Which then consists of two poxy bolt to pin together!
Old 18-04-2009, 07:22 AM
Crowman

No Mate, I am talking the other side of turbo, the header and up pipe.
To be honest you cant go wrong with down pipes, the only thing you will pay more for from say hayward and scott is the very nice tig welding,which will last longer.
All i wouls say, which i am sure you know, is make sure you go for the open mouth type.Personally also i would get a decent set of gskets from roger clarke.
You will need the one at the turbo end and also the flange end that meets the centre section.
If your fitting down pipe yourself, give all down pipe to turbo studs and bolts a good spray of WD40 a day or 2 before you do it. Dont want a snapped stud.
Old 18-04-2009, 07:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman
No Mate, I am talking the other side of turbo, the header and up pipe.
To be honest you cant go wrong with down pipes, the only thing you will pay more for from say hayward and scott is the very nice tig welding,which will last longer.
All i wouls say, which i am sure you know, is make sure you go for the open mouth type.Personally also i would get a decent set of gskets from roger clarke.
You will need the one at the turbo end and also the flange end that meets the centre section.
If your fitting down pipe yourself, give all down pipe to turbo studs and bolts a good spray of WD40 a day or 2 before you do it. Dont want a snapped stud.
Good man that helps, sorry i get really confused as ive never changed anything but a back box on previous cars!
The search is on but i dont want to cock anything up before germany!!!
Old 18-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Hayward and scott make there's ring and speak to ian and he may drop the vat for cash . Plus its only the other side of dartford tunnel
Old 18-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. J.
Quote:

Hayward and scott make there's ring and speak to ian and he may drop the vat for cash . Plus its only the other side of dartford tunnel
Wahoo, good boy c.j will do!
Old 28-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
The decat downpipe for the newage should have the lambda boss in the bottom for the lambda to fit into. After a while the CEL will light with P0420 CAT efficeincey below threshold

This can be bypassed with a resistor fix, or reflashed with the CEL disabled (5 min job to reflash standard MAP with CEL disabled) or would be done as part of a remap.

Without a remap you may see slight boost spiking and a slightly leaner mixture. But they run as rich as hell, so not really a problem.
Yes there is a pre cat in the up-pipe, my 2004 WRX had one

Would recommend a decat up-pipe & down-pipe and then a remap and you will see a big difference
Old 29-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granby
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer

Yes there is a pre cat in the up-pipe, my 2004 WRX had one

Would recommend a decat up-pipe & down-pipe and then a remap and you will see a big difference
I'm glad I'm not going mad !
Old 29-04-2009, 10:42 PM

Seems the 2.5 WRX dropped the up-pipe cat.
Not sure where I got the info on 2003 WRX > not having one.....search engine on Scoobynet is now pants, so cannot find original source of info....