South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Studio > General Pics

General Pics All sorts in here, show us what you've been up to - No adult content.

Old 14-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

Default Yawn! Not ANOTHER Vulcan?

Okay! You've poked your head in here....must be interested!

Went to Stratford Upon Avon to see another serviceable Vulcan (there are only three left)

What a great event! Lovely aircraft in great condition. Proper cockpit visit! Two engine runs up to 90% power (the ground shook), and a quick display during the afternoon by XH558 on her way back from Elvington to Brize Norton.

Here are a few pics - I took hundreds!

And here she comes!

Tight turn just for Julia!

And one for Chocks Chockington!

Last edited by SUBARMAN; 14-09-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 14-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Crowman

Great pics keith, looks like a special day you had.
Not every day you get to climb aboard such an amazing bit of kit.
Old 14-09-2009, 10:48 AM
worzel

Great pics Keith, now THAT one looks like a photo opportunity!

Clean space around it (no tree's / houses / railway line etc), clean runway, spotless kite what what what.

My shutter fingers is buzzing at the thought of it.

What could I do with said finger.....

Ooh...... oooooooooooooh...........oohhhh ....... aaaaahhhhhhhh ooOOOOOOOOOHHHH AAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHH! YES! SPAMFASTIC!!!!!

Nurse, fetch the towel and some swarfega please.
Old 14-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

nice photos!

looks like a nice low key event where you were able to nose around with any barriers!
Old 14-09-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
Nurse, fetch the towel and some swarfega please.
that is truely revolting
Old 14-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member

I had a long chat with the Chairman of the Preservation Society.

They are very happy to accommodate a car club photo session, preferably on a Saturday, but could do a Sunday with enough notice. But it's quite a long way (170 miles each way for me, approx 2.5 hours).

Against that, it is a nicer aircraft to photograph than XL426 at Southend, which is undergoing "deep maintenance" and therefore is not going to be as pretty.

If you look at Google Earth for the airfield (Wellesbourne Mountford), you will see XM655 is normally parked on a smaller pan. It was only moved to the runway because of the engine tests. However, there is still more room than at Southend.

I was lucky yesterday in that everybody moved away from the aircraft to watch XH558 display, and so I was able to take a window to shoot it without loads of people round it!

I can feel an SES trip coming on!
Old 14-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
that is truely revolting
You haven't seen the towel he uses!!!!!!!
Old 14-09-2009, 11:46 AM
worzel

It sounds spot on young sir. Well worth the drive in my opinion.
Old 14-09-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBARMAN View Post
If you look at Google Earth for the airfield (Wellesbourne Mountford), you will see XM655 is normally parked on a smaller pan. It was only moved to the runway because of the engine tests. However, there is still more room than at Southend.
blimey, google satellite photos give you a decent indication of its size - it looks a lot bigger than i expect (especially considering the size of cars and other light aircraft around it).

if a visit does happen, make sure its open to saloonies as well
Old 14-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
blimey, google satellite photos give you a decent indication of its size - it looks a lot bigger than i expect (especially considering the size of cars and other light aircraft around it).

This would be an SES outing rather than a Squadron one. Worzel and I had discussed the possibility of just such an event after we proved that it could work at Southend. I think Southend airport seem more strict on vehicle movements and exhaust noise. All the Wagons are quiet you see. The XM655 lot seem more relaxed as the Vulcan is parked further away from operational goings-on.

The plane is mahoosive Steve and f***ing noisy at full chat!

When they do an engine run at Southend, they have to turn the aircraft round as the railway runs behind the plane and it would blow the train off the track if they gave it some wellie. Yesterday, you can see how much room they had to leave behind the plane. Cars were not even allowed to park in the parking area behind the barriers unless they were forward of the engines.

Better pass this idea over to Big E now...............
Old 14-09-2009, 03:10 PM
worzel

Quote:
This would be an SES outing rather than a Squadron one. Worzel and I had discussed the possibility of just such an event after we proved that it could work at Southend. I think Southend airport seem more strict on vehicle movements and exhaust noise. All the Wagons are quiet you see. The XM655 lot seem more relaxed as the Vulcan is parked further away from operational goings-on.

The plane is mahoosive Steve and f***ing noisy at full chat!

When they do an engine run at Southend, they have to turn the aircraft round as the railway runs behind the plane and it would blow the train off the track if they gave it some wellie. Yesterday, you can see how much room they had to leave behind the plane. Cars were not even allowed to park in the parking area behind the barriers unless they were forward of the engines.

Better pass this idea over to Big E now...............
I think it would be a cracking thing to do.

As you said, we have spoken previously about doing this as an SES outing, but I would make SURE that we would get some good Wagon Squadron shots as a matter of priority. But seeing it's is more relaxed at this venue, I think we would have a better time window on the apron anyway.

That way we could hopefully arrange some individual shots as well as group shots. The good thing with doing the "Southend Recce" is we know what shots work well and wouldn't waste so much time in setting up this time and working things out "on the fly".

Brilliant work Keith

As I speak, Chocks is brewing some Special Ginger Beer for the occasion.

HURRAH, what what!
Old 14-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Spiffo ballooney !
Old 14-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Bronze Member

Thumbs up

Xray Mike Sixer Fiver Fiver 'Hooping Henry Hurah...... rah rah'.

Top shots of a minter of an aircraft what! All that switch gear inside the 'flight deck' (as we say in the Sqn) gets the old juices flowing.

I'd be up for a trip, but probably not till next year as my 'kite' will be having a shake down for 6 months very soon.
Old 14-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Events organiser says yes !!!!

WHEN ARE WE GOING ?????
Old 14-09-2009, 05:42 PM
SES Mercedes Division

Great pics of a beautiful aircraft
Old 14-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Here here, and I know this area so well
Old 14-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
This would be an SES outing rather than a Squadron one. Worzel and I had discussed the possibility of just such an event after we proved that it could work at Southend. ............

This is whats SUBARMAN said.

Last edited by BIG"E"; 14-09-2009 at 07:31 PM.