South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Members Car Profiles (Non-Subaru)

Members Car Profiles (Non-Subaru) Show & Tell Your Pride & Joy (Non-Subaru)

Old 07-03-2010, 01:52 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Default Can't beat them join them. My M3

Pics as promissed Very pleased it is an understatement, Not very good pics but you get the idea.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Crowman

Fantastic mate, looks well nice, welcome to the club.
Love the wheels, is a shame mine did not have the CS wheels.
What year is it,i am guessing 2003/4
I am loving mine more and more, especially today,dry roads great fun.
Rob 5k gets you fitted blower 485bhp

Oh and prepare to get slated
Old 07-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Bronze Member

you sure thats a bm, theres no gangsta tints and big chromes on there. only joking mate looks a tidy motor.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Nige

Very Very Nice mate looks like you have bought your self a good one there Now bring it to the ring, come on book it now! IF YOU CANT BEAT THEM JOIN THEM! Hitler said something along those line's. Bring it on sausage muncher. Next thing you know he will be clicking his heels & holding his right arm up in the air.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Silver Member

Oooo I like and it's a manual too
Old 07-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Regular User

Very pretty.

I'm a huge fan of the M3 & one day there will be one in the garage but best I'd manage at the mo is a slightly tired E36 & I'd rather have a nice Bug Eye or New Age for that cash

Still one day.

Hope your enjoying her, she looks a beaut

Neil
Old 07-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
Fantastic mate, looks well nice, welcome to the club
Well, they say bad things come in threes

Just kidding, lovely looking motor And that youtube video Martyn posted is pretty nifty too!
Old 07-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
prepare to get slated
I think thatch would look better !
Old 07-03-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
What year is it,i am guessing 2003/4
Its a 2001 but way better condition inside and out than any 2003/2004 I had given consideration to in the past. All original paint I think, it did have the armour guard fitted in most places and then recently removed hence the paintwork so good. The front end, and leading edges to rear arches are pretty much stone chip free. Purchase price reflected the fact is was a 2001. So didn't even need to stretch my budget which as a bonus.

Quote:
Oh and prepare to get slated
Comes with the territory I guess. Bring it on biatches.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:35 PM

That all for the kind comments. Good to see fellow petrol heads recognize them for what they are ,and can now look beyond the former image they used to have.

They really are a great all round package and represent great value for money these days IMO. Different league to the E36 M3s even though I like them as well.

Last edited by RobEvo5; 07-03-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Very nice motor indeed Rob. You should be able to join the SES committee now!

Last edited by SUBARMAN; 07-03-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBARMAN View Post
Very nice motor indeed Rob. You should be able to join the SES committee now!

Ahhh so thats how you do it. I did wonder
Old 07-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Crowman

Rob
Thats bloomin fantastic for a 2001, the interior also looks like its only a few years old.
What sort of miles has it done, would like to have a look sometime if pos Rob
Mine didnt have a single stone chip, now it has bloody loads, all caused by the ****e roads this winter.
Whats really anoying is the chips show up so bad, its like the primer is almost white.

Yeah come on Mr X hurry and get your M3
Old 07-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Bronze Member

Shweeeeeet looking motor Rob and, in case you're wondering, yes I'm as jealous as fook

Funnily enough I was looking at E36 M3's today [can't stretch to a 46'er ].....thinking about trading the leggy

Ok, so it's not an Impreza but I need room for the dog so
Old 07-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Regular User

very nice car
Old 07-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Gold Member

Can't see it in the for sale section yet!!!
Old 08-03-2010, 05:06 AM
Crowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBoy View Post
Can't see it in the for sale section yet!!!
Its still got half a tank of fuel
Old 08-03-2010, 06:24 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

If only I could, my daily drive looks like it will end up being a £500 shoe box, can't afford to keep running the scoob as my only car!

I do like the M3's always have since the first widearched incarnations, love the fact they have got more subtle since. Although if I had the money it would be a M5 for me!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 08-03-2010, 08:32 AM
worzel

Lovely looking example Rob. I bet you are well chuffed matey.

Now the weather is on the up, I reckon a pic session is on the cards.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Crowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
Lovely looking example Rob. I bet you are well chuffed matey.

Now the weather is on the up, I reckon a pic session is on the cards.
Oh yes for sure
Old 08-03-2010, 08:48 AM
SES Mercedes Division

Looks good mate

The Germans are invading again!!!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:48 AM
worzel

For the new forum
Old 10-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

Lovely piece of kit mate !

I have had to BMW's and they do know how to build a car.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:29 PM

I'm on day 4 of ownership now, and have to say it continous to impress me. Putting the build quality and comfort to one side as a performance car only it really is superb and a very capable bit of kit. This car is leagues ahead of the E36 M3 which I always thought was a nice car and quick. The E46 is markedly quicker.

I was expecting it to be a little lacking in the lower rev range, but no it picks up instantly and it just keeps pulling and pulling all the way to 8K revs. Its got the same sort of power as some of the quickest scoobs I've had, but it has power instantly on tap when ever you want it. Its soooooo freshing not to have to wait for a turbo to spool. Even in the twisties its impressing me, and have so much more throttle control in the corners not having to wait for turbo to spool.

Impressed is an understatment.

Only critism so far is its actually a very harsh ride for a BMW, but a small sacrifice for the handling. And the gearbox and clutch is very heavy/clunky, but I'm getting used to it. Part of me thinks I might have actually liked the SMG. But need to give it time and just get used to it.. And the traction control is fairly violent stopping power fairly obruptly.

Unlike some cars I have had its one that has lived up to and exceeded my expectations.

This one might actually last me....
Old 11-03-2010, 05:37 PM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEvo5 View Post
I'm on day 4 of ownership now, and have to say it continous to impress me. Putting the build quality and comfort to one side as a performance car only it really is superb and a very capable bit of kit. This car is leagues ahead of the E36 M3 which I always thought was a nice car and quick. The E46 is markedly quicker.

I was expecting it to be a little lacking in the lower rev range, but no it picks up instantly and it just keeps pulling and pulling all the way to 8K revs. Its got the same sort of power as some of the quickest scoobs I've had, but it has power instantly on tap when ever you want it. Its soooooo freshing not to have to wait for a turbo to spool. Even in the twisties its impressing me, and have so much more throttle control in the corners not having to wait for turbo to spool.

Impressed is an understatment.

Only critism so far is its actually a very harsh ride for a BMW, but a small sacrifice for the handling. And the gearbox and clutch is very heavy/clunky, but I'm getting used to it. Part of me thinks I might have actually liked the SMG. But need to give it time and just get used to it.. And the traction control is fairly violent stopping power fairly obruptly.

Unlike some cars I have had its one that has lived up to and exceeded my expectations.

This one might actually last me....
I have to agree with your comments mate.

The way the E46 M3 handles is fantastic and on the twisty stuff verging on surprising. The gearbox(in my case SMG) is clunky and the Traction control is simply draining. The first thing I do every day on start up, in order is Heated Seat - Sport Button on - Traction Control off! Then when in gear, move the severity bar to the end. Gear changes are then lightning quick ( I would challenge anyone to change gear manually even close to it), suspension and throttle response are instant.

It is a superb bit of machinery without a doubt.

Once bitten, forever smitten.

I would be seriously surprised if you haven't got it this time next year.

Enjoy mate
Old 11-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Crowman

Great to hear your loving it Rob, I agree of course as i love mine , its without doubt the best car i have owned.
I have exactly the same procedure as Steve when i get in, and he is so right the gear change using paddles is so quick, it even does blips by itself between changes, which you can also program to certain revs etc.
Not to forget the launch control, not tried it yet as been advised it takes loads off the clutch.
I am fortunate enough to have the CS which has the quick rack and of course the MTrack button, which removes most of the traction control but not all, its fantastic you can loose the arse but the mtrack steps in just in time, takes some getting used to trusting it, but its cool.
Rob, you really need to come to Germany, i need the support
Old 11-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Nige

Traction control Mtrack button, bliping by itself between gear change's, programing the revs,ect who is driving the bloody car then?
Old 11-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Gold Member

looks good rob,so when can i buy it???
Old 12-03-2010, 06:30 AM
Crowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
Traction control Mtrack button, bliping by itself between gear change's, programing the revs,ect who is driving the bloody car then?
lol us bmw drivers have trouble with indicating, let alone driving
Old 12-03-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Rob, you really need to come to Germany, i need the support
Maybe next year - Doing Le-man this year again.

Support.! - just don't keeping looking in your rear view mirror too much as you past all those scoobs and concentrate on whats in front and you'll be fine. I have no doubt the car will get you down and back in total comfort, and put in plenty of lap time without it even breaking a swet. Enjoy! will be good to hear how you get on with it in, driven in total anger.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:49 PM
worzel

Just when I thought I was sure I was taking the scooby you make me think again!
Old 12-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Stop listening to them, they're waffling a load of rubbish
Old 12-03-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Take the scoob mate, at least you will have Crowman to tow you back when something blows on the scoob.

If its anything like some of my trips to le-man half the challenge and fun its getting the car there and back in one piece. That said I've killed 2 jap cars on my way my trips to le-man over the years so the novalty is wearing a little thin as are my pockets from doing so.
http://www.simonlemans.co.uk/2/p9.jpg
Old 12-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Crowman

Rob
Whats the betting my M3 goes bang now. lol
Old 12-03-2010, 07:50 PM
worzel

The irony involved in me bringing you home in my scoob would be to much to bear!
Old 12-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Crowman

Steve I would never live it down , would get the 1st flight back
Old 15-03-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Rob
Whats the betting my M3 goes bang now. lol
I was just thinking that, that would just be my luck!..... Mmmm see my next post
Old 15-03-2010, 09:41 AM

Well Day 9! now and still loving the M3 - But not sure.............

It’s a great car and extremely accomplished car, and does everything its Sais on the tin. It truly is the complete package and a good balance between power, comfort, build, and handling.

But it has no soul.

My silver scoob has some quirks, nothing is bolted together that well, and the build trim of the car is all a bit horrid compared to the BMW. The doors goes ding, rather than thud, the engine doesn’t feel like it will last half the time of the BMW. But do you know what I still like the scoob. It’s difficult to go as far as to say I prefer the scoob. But the differential isn’t that great.
I like the fact that if something goes wrong, I can fix it myself, I like the fact I can bolt on bits and chop and change bits at my leisure, and in a perverse way like the fact the bodywork is far from perfect, and would have actually looked forward to mucking about the bodywork during the summer months.

Driving the scoob hard is a bit like Russian Roulett and you never quit no whether it’s going to make the journey, but in consideration of its value, it also part of the thrill of ownership and wouldn’t be upset that long even if I did blow it up.

You can’t get past the fact the BMW is a heavy car with heavy car characteristics in its drive the scoob is such an effortless car to drive either slow or fast.

It don’t help I keep parking up alongside my silver scoob, and cross comparing them. But have to say I’m not sure, and just don’t know. Put it this way, if I could sell the BMW quickly for good/fair money I think I would be just as happy jumping back into my silver scoob... Go figure.!!
Old 15-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

change of mind in two weeks......outstanding!
You mention when driving the scoob you didnt know whether it would last the journey...crikey reminds me of owning my tvrs! You must have had some bad luck with the scoobs because mine has been more reliable than most of the bmw's I've owned!
Old 15-03-2010, 11:58 AM
worzel

Again, I agree 100% that the beemer is a soul less car, in exactly the same way that (Put's on tin hat ) the Evo is a completely soul less car.

Both the Beemer and the Evo are fantastic cars, don't get me wrong and straight out of the box give you exactly what you want.

I test drove the Evo8 and the STi8 before choosing the STi8. And it was purely down to how the car made me feel. In all honesty, I thought the Evo was a better car by way of facts and figures, but most of that was acheived by electric gizmos and some hidden wizards somewhere in the ECU. And I never felt like I was driving it. It was more like being along for a very fast ride.

The redeeming factor the M3 has is that you can turn the aids off easily enough. But you can't get away from the fact you have mentioned that it is a heavy car, which sometimes (even in sport mode) can verge on being "wallowy". I do still love getting into the M3 and as long as you remember what it is in essence, which is a "sports tourer" then it does fit the bill pretty much to the letter. And on the journey down to the ring this spring, Martyn will arrive still feeling fresh but also would have seriously kicked some scooby butt on the Autobahns (Skullfudge being the exception there) especially after the de-limiting he is just about to have done. Where as we'll be haggered, deaf and aching. But, the following day when we are all out and about in the twisties around the ring he will be wishing that he had the scoob without a doubt.

Nothing gives me the same thrill as jumping in the scooby (except for the obvious of course ), I still grin like a buffoon every time I start it up and it's a joy to drive and sets the old pulse racing every time. It's a car that has to be driven and allied to that beautiful burble that gives it something that so many cars lack. A soul.

At this time I am in a very lucky situation and able to have both cars, but if and when the time came for me to wind my neck in the M3 would be gone in a blink. I wouldn't have to think twice.
Old 15-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Silver Member

Got to say I am loveing this thread as I'm seriously thinking about chopping in the scoob for an E46 M3 (won't be untill the end of the year though) I have never driven one but I think they look and sound awesome!
Old 15-03-2010, 01:28 PM
worzel

Seriously you will love it.

If I had to choose a word to describe each of the cars, I think they would be:

Scooby: Savage
M3: Refined

Both give you the kicks you want but in completely different ways. You don't get the turbo kick up the arse that you do with the Scooby, but what you do get is a smooth and seemless accelleration with what seems like an endless rev range.

As I hinted at in my previous post though, I think it's difficult to compare the cars fairly as they are in essence two completely different beasts.

Rob has all of the following 4 cars (is there much Rob hasn't had though ) and I would like to see robs comparisons in what I would call their niches.

Scooby V Evo

M3 V RS4

IMHO these are the comparisons that count.

Over to you again Rob.
Old 15-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Nige

I'm going to jump in here quick and add my little bit. Ive had M3's in the past & loved them. The Scoob for me was fantastic loved it & i still say for the money you pay you just cant beat that drive. I miss the burble i miss the fight i had with it getting it around the twisty bits. Ive never had a car that made me smile & laugh so much. As Rob mentioned i could tinker with it mess about with this & that. Then end up taking it to Scott or Jaffa to to sort out the thing's i had cocked up in the first place. I still defend them when there getting a slating on the MLR. I just hope when my Evo is done i can have the same amount of fun. If not then when i get back from Germany the Evo will be sold & i will be the proud owner of a Hawkeyed spec c.
Old 15-03-2010, 02:36 PM
worzel

It's bizarre Nige isn't it.

You will know as I know, the Evo straight from the box, something around 300bhp will absolutely wet all over the scooby, just for the simple fact the wizardry involved with the active yaw control etc is so bloody good.

It's all just a little sterile for me though. Even though I'm nowhere near a technically minded as you and lots of the guys are on here. I know the same way you do that you can tinker around with the scoobs and make them something special quite easily. You can't buy soul for a car though.

Your Evo will go round the ring so well this year, I am pretty sure you won't be disappointed at all. I bet Ray will like the look of what you have done to it.

Scoobies hey, they blow up, they understeer like the front wheels are made of Ice until you get whiteline on them, they drink V Power at £1.21 per litre at the rate an Irish man drinking Guiness on Paddy's night, and they are worth next to bugger all when you come to sell them. But **** me we love? How insane is that
Old 15-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Silver Member

I absolutley love my scoob, it is such fun to drive and get loads of attention (mainly dure to having a back box with no baffels!!) I love the sound of the flat four and the dumpvalve which is so loud I have see mothers cluch their children as I change gear going past them. Only thing is I have had it for 2 years now and fancy a bit of a change, part of me thinks i'm mental for even concidering it as I have a 2004 new age with 49K miles on the clock and FSH and I'm looking at paying another 4 or 5K to get an M3 of the same age with more miles on it. i think I will have to have a long hard think about this one!
Old 15-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's bizarre Nige isn't it.

You will know as I know, the Evo straight from the box, something around 300bhp will absolutely wet all over the scooby, just for the simple fact the wizardry involved with the active yaw control etc is so bloody good.

It's all just a little sterile for me though. Even though I'm nowhere near a technically minded as you and lots of the guys are on here. I know the same way you do that you can tinker around with the scoobs and make them something special quite easily. You can't buy soul for a car though.

Your Evo will go round the ring so well this year, I am pretty sure you won't be disappointed at all. I bet Ray will like the look of what you have done to it.

Scoobies hey, they blow up, they understeer like the front wheels are made of Ice until you get whiteline on them, they drink V Power at £1.21 per litre at the rate an Irish man drinking Guiness on Paddy's night, and they are worth next to bugger all when you come to sell them. But **** me we love? How insane is that
well put steve!
Old 15-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Silver Member

what a fun interesting unbiased thread this is,exactly the type of stuff i love to read.
Old 15-03-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:

Rob has all of the following 4 cars (is there much Rob hasn't had though ) and I would like to see robs comparisons in what I would call their niches.

Scooby V Evo

M3 V RS4

IMHO these are the comparisons that count.

Over to you again Rob.

Have to say the perfect scenario is to have both for the reasons you describe. There are times when I find turbo power tiresome, and its soooo refreshing to have instant power on tap. I have started to get into the habit of turning on sport mode instantly every time I get in the car, and have to say it does make a nice difference to the feel of the car, with much more feel to the throttle.

The raspy sound of the M3 is a marmite sound. But I actually love it, and it’s a very addictive sound coupled with the straight 6 engine roar. So no complaints in the sound department from me.

Performance can't be knocked either, and I'm sure if I put it along side some quick scoobs both off the line, rolling and autobahn blasts it would not disappoint. The linear power delivery is slightly deceptive but no mistaking its quick and that's without looking at the speedo.

They are chalk and cheese cars and as said its difficult to compare. Performance aside, they both offer very different experiences depending on what mood you’re in.
If you want some comfort, build, reliability, and still have performance without being tarnished as a chav by some, but arrogant yuppy nob head by others then the M3 ticks the box.

But if you want raw, nimble power, do most of your driving off motorways, like to tinker with cars and modify, and couldn’t give a flying feck as to what others think of you then the scoob ticks the box.

Hence 2 very different cars offering 2 very different experiences that goes further than just comparing performance and handling.

Scoob V's Evo........

Scoob every time for me, but if I was into track days or drove like I’ve stolen the car most of the time then it would have to be the Evo. The electronics on the EVO is something that has to be experienced to be appreciated. But driven to the point that it’s all starts to work on UK roads means you will be pooping your pants long before you can experience it. The EVO really has to be driven to the point the car is starting to let go, and then at this point you have to make sure your don't back off, just keep with it and then it’s truly amazing. The sacrifice to this thou is that it’s a harsh car to live with day to day when you are just merely blipping about.

Despite this they are very similar cars and I still look at both of them as JAP turbo nutter rice tin cars, however no matter what generation the EVO they always demand a much bigger price tag for what I consider to be a similar car just a different badge, and for this reason alone I will always opt for a scoob. The Scoob is the more affordable car that tends to attract a wide audience because of it, which could be seen as a negative or a positive. For me it’s a positive, as all walks of life and age own scoobs. From my experience, for the EVO boys it seems to be more about how much money they can/have spent on their car. The community is much bigger and friendly in the world of scoobs IMO. Parts, spares and interchangeable parts at a more affordable price are more available on the scoob as well IMO.

I also think the later EVO’s all look more of less the same whether it be a EVO7,8or 9. But at least Subaru made some effort to change the style of scoobs throughout the generations, and the Hawkeye for me is a far more modern car than say and EVO8 or 9. 2006 Hawkeye STI circa 12K, 2006 EVO9 depending on derivative circa 18K
I’d always have both and enjoy both, but apart from AYC the scoob wins on every other level.

E46 M3 V’s RS4.

The M3 can be described as a sports tourer, but the RS4 really is a sports tourer and far more so than the M3. For Lazy and very quick driving, especially on motorways the RS4 is phenomenal the torque the 2.7 twin turbo gives is immense, but the RS4 feels even heavier than the M3, and have more give in the suspension, and the rev range is fairly small, and driven in anger you wished you have more revs to play with. The M3 is definitely a more focussed and involving car than the RS4. And I much prefer the M3 out of the 2. Interior and cabin space on the M3 is a nicer and a more modern place to be as well IMO.

Last edited by RobEvo5; 15-03-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 15-03-2010, 03:09 PM
worzel

As mentioned previously, this is a cracking thread and it has been enjoyable being part of it

And, thats a cracking and very informed reply Rob. I don't think it could be put any better at all.
Old 15-03-2010, 03:24 PM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy B View Post
I absolutley love my scoob, it is such fun to drive and get loads of attention (mainly dure to having a back box with no baffels!!) I love the sound of the flat four and the dumpvalve which is so loud I have see mothers cluch their children as I change gear going past them. Only thing is I have had it for 2 years now and fancy a bit of a change, part of me thinks i'm mental for even concidering it as I have a 2004 new age with 49K miles on the clock and FSH and I'm looking at paying another 4 or 5K to get an M3 of the same age with more miles on it. i think I will have to have a long hard think about this one!
Guy, there are as you will see in this thread, many pro's and cons for either car. And it's about what floats your boat. Robs last long reply really sums it all up beautifully really.

The sound a scoob makes is awsome, thats the icing you get on the cake with a scooby. But like Rob, I actually think the M3 rasp is a beautiful noise too. Once you flick the sport button and take the DSC of and into most severe gear change it really is a wonderful thing. And the blip thats inserted in there in the down change is a proper sexy thing.

The truth of the matter is, you won't be un-happy which ever way you go. You will miss the savagery of the scooby if you got an M3, but as Rob says you know it's the M3 is fast but somehow it doesn't feel it. I'll give you an example, I was cruising back from Crawley this morning, in 6th at about 2800rpm, glanced at the clock and was just under 80mph I thought I was cruising at about 60. The M3 is also a very nice palce to be, lovely cockpit and genuinely classy inside.

But for good old fashioned fun, enjoying the twisties, making some wonderful noises the scoob does win it hands down.

It's a classic 6 of one and half a dozen of another.