Old 06-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Regular User

Old 06-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

nice prodrive bugeye, looks in good nick too

just remove the 'scooby' sticker on the high brake light
Old 06-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Bronze Member

Very nice! Welcome to the world of awd supremacy!! Super reliable (if looked after...) and handles like a dream. You got any plans or you going for factory and clean?
Old 06-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Regular User

im looking to build a reliable 400 bhp fast road car. the engine at the mo has a bit of a noisey tappet not sure if this is common its not a knock but a tappet like sound, not really going to drive it for the next 2 weeks after that hoping to start modding
Old 06-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33ryan View Post
im looking to build a reliable 400 bhp fast road car. the engine at the mo has a bit of a noisey tappet not sure if this is common its not a knock but a tappet like sound, not really going to drive it for the next 2 weeks after that hoping to start modding
Might have missed it on here somewhere but whats the mileage. You should be able to get a reliable 400 out of your STI engine with a few mods. There are lots of knowledgeable people on the forum who will be able to impart good sound advise.
Or you could speak to Neil @ slowboyracing. Jura and several of the forum members have used him with good results as have I.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Regular User

its covered 79k miles. i have read there good for 400bhp with the right turbo and ecu/map. im looking at the scooby clinic turbo that makes 400bhp sc36? ecu and a decent map. is the tapping a regular noise with this millage? its boosts well and pulls well only really hear it on idle and as the revs rise cant hear it at all ?probably me being fussy
Old 06-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

Welcome to the madhouse
Old 06-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

to SES.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Regular User

new smaller plate fitted started to debadge the rear yesterday. going to detail the car next week when im off work
Old 07-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Bronze Member

Does it tap on idle? Just cold or once warmed? Mine taps momentarily in startup where oil is getting thrown around, but stops immediately once running. Mines on 115k and could do with an oil change now too, plus running 5-40 oil too whereas some say 10-40 would be better.... Either way, runs great and no noise on or off boost when driving.

It's always an unknown as many will say, luck of the draw I guess. I may be having a further map on mine to take into account the larger intercooler but you never know eh some have run 400 on standard wrx internals with no issues with others having less bhp but on Sti and still had issues. My opinion is if you look after it and don't thrash it every time you drive it you'll be fine no matter what you run (within reason...).

My dad has had his Sti bug for 5 years and covered over 90k miles in that time as a daily driver. Now on 135k and no issues at all.

A very light tapping on idle should be fine though, most do this. Just the type of engine. Could be noisy boost solenoid or anything, but I doubt much to worry about if it is barely noticeable.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:49 AM
Regular User

Smile

cheers for the above bud
it taps all the tme on idle and say rev it about 1200 to 1500 and cant hear it at all, my plans are to strengthen the bottom end and run a slghtly bigger turbo to flow 400 bhp, if it goes pop not the end of the world i guess ?
Old 08-05-2012, 06:37 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Get Simon (JGM) to take a listen through the det cans on the rolling road, should highlight any major issues, does cost a bit more to rebuild an engine if it goes 'pop' as you have to replace more parts (ideally oil modine, oil pump and sump as a minimum).
If you're happy with it for a while just get a map on in with exhaust/filter change for stage 1. Later on you can then update the bottom end, 2.1 on a closed deck will be safe for 600+, on a semi closed (your original block I guess) 500 or so, or if you are only looking around the 450 target go forged 2.5 for the extra torque.
Ultimate engine is the 2.35 built from a closed deck 2.2 but they are also the most expensive!
As for turbo if you do forge the bottom end (on any block) then go for the Sc46 or MD321T as a minimum. The SC36 is a good turbo but only really if you leave the block std otherwise you can run more - do it once do it right otherwise you'll end up buying 2 turbos!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 08-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Regular User

Cool

il get in touch with him, where is he based, whats a rough guide to a rebuild just to strengthen what ive got, i dont want to go above 450 bhp and would like to stick with the engine ive got, im new to the boxer engine at the mo so quite a bit to take in
Old 09-05-2012, 06:26 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Simon is a 'mobile' mapper but spends a lot of time at Surrey Rolling Road (Chertsy), my engine was built by Williams Motorsport (WMS on scoobynet) he has a few engines listed on eBay and will take your old engine in exchange or rebuild yours: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/wmsdeals4u
Best bet is to contact him direct and see what he can offer (Andy Williams) as you'll get a better deal than if you just buy a 'standard' rebuild/forged engine from him.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 09-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

Very nice mate it looks very clean
Old 12-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Regular User

just clayed the car and a good polish, changed wheels nuts and debadged the boot here is the results