South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 17-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Default Speakers

Any recommendations for speakers fitting in the OE position of Newage doors.
Thought it was about time I had decent sounds. I was hoping the Hawk would have a better setup then the classic, but alas the speaker output is still ****e. The peugeot pool cars kicks out better sounds.

cheers
Old 17-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

I have some infinity components....problem is making the door not vibrate etc
Old 17-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Crowman

wat yous need to do is cut da back out ya scoob and stik a huge woofa in, innit
Old 17-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

My front doors had to be dynamatted for no rattles
Old 17-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Bronze Member

Had mine fitted @ incar eastbourne they will tell you what size you need,trouble is you can only fit small ones in the hawk without chopping doors up.That said mine sounds good though ask marcus alias munk,wasnt cheap either.
Old 17-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Silver Member

Focal, MB Quart and Infinity sound great and are all worth a look, i guess it depends on your budget.... there aren't many independent car audio places now that have speakers on display to demo like in Halfords which makes it a bit harder to compare sound quality

some of the bass heavy coaxial speakers have bigger magnets and don't fit in doors as there too deep which is something to be aware of when buying
Old 17-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Crowman

Old 17-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
Quality.lmhao.
Old 17-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Silver Member

Funny as. I've just fitted pioneer in the front of mine with adapter rings took about 10 mins to do and sound great also used some flash band as dynomat and works neally as well at a fraction of the price.
Old 17-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Cheers guy's
Do you know what sizes they are front and rear ?
And what is and where can I get Flash band ???
Old 17-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Cheers guy's
Do you know what sizes they are front and rear ?
And what is and where can I get Flash band ???
Newage imprezas are 6.5" (17cm) for the front and 5.25" (13cm) for the rears, definately take one out and see how much depth you have to play with as you made need spacers depending on what speakers you go for
Old 17-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Silver Member

I think Flashband is a waterproof primer? Not sure to be honest!
Old 17-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Authorised Trader

I have Focals in mine, sound pretty good
Old 17-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
what is and where can I get Flash band ???
Flash band is the equivalent of sticky lead flashing.

depending on how much you need let me know,

I might have some
Old 17-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

Flash band is self adhesive leadflashing. It is a bitchumin tape used to seal roofs and can be brought from b&q, wicks,home base etc and comes on a roll about 6"wide just cut to length peel off back and stick it easy as that. eBay there is a company that is selling pioneer 2 way coaxals 6.5" with adapter rings and wiring adapters to fit most imprezas for £40 and sound great as pioneer always do.
Old 18-01-2012, 12:02 AM
Silver Member

this is what i have in mine
Old 18-01-2012, 06:37 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Scott - I have a set of adapters for Newage doors (think Bugeye and Hawk are the same) if you want to try them I'm at the Jan and Feb meets so could bring them with me. They are the recommended ones however I went for something a bit extra....

The speakers have front mounted magnets so are very shallow compared to std:

The whole inner door skin is sealed by a single sheet of Dynamat Extreme and the outer skin has a piece directly behind the speaker to reduce resonant vibrations, the tweeters are actually mounted to the door card itself using dynamat.

As a minimum I'd say get some adapters (mine are free!) fit a good set of components (Infinity or Focal) and add dynamat (or equivalent) around and behind speaker.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 18-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomma View Post
Newage imprezas are 6.5" (17cm) for the front and 5.25" (13cm) for the rears, definately take one out and see how much depth you have to play with as you made need spacers depending on what speakers you go for
i'm sure my rears are 4.25 or something ridiculous like that
Old 18-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi View Post
i'm sure my rears are 4.25 or something ridiculous like that
I'm pretty sure the rear doors on newages are 10cm as a straight fit, but a 13cm fits with an mdf ring as it pushes it outwards slightly. However, some of the 2/3-way co-axial speakers have the centres which stick out further and can touch the door card speaker grill when put back on.
Old 24-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Bronze Member

I'm new to scoobies and have been looking for a speaker upgrade too, found some rockford and fosgate speakers that are "slim fit", they have a mounting depth of 48mm, is that shallow enough or would they still need an mdf ring or something like that?
Old 28-01-2012, 04:31 AM
Regular User

I fitted some 6.5inch Infinity components (605cs) to my Bugeye and made some mdf collars using 22mm mdf, was very straight forward and didn't take long, plenty of room for the magnets and the speakers sounded good. Also fitted some 5.25inch Infinity's in the rear doors, I also added a tiny little subwoofer to it......

It wasn't my fault, I'm from Essex and couldn't help it! Sold the 4-ton sub box when I found out how good trackdays are.

On my Hawkeye I used some Vauxhall Corsa speaker adaptors from a stereo shop to fit some MTX 6.5inch 3-ways as I don't want an amp in this car. You can get the Corsa adaptors from ebay fairly cheaply and they give a fair amount of room for the magnets and are very easy to fit.

Think these were the jobbies...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-C...item5195753e07

The MTX speakers I've used are a bit of a let down, sound good when turned up pretty loud, but sound really tinny when used at normal volumes, they are powered from the head unit and I think they really need an amp, plus the fact I haven't a clue how to use my headunit properly and the manual is like a phone book

Here's how mine looks........

I also used plenty of sound deadening on both cars, use a heat gun to make it more pliable and follow the contours of the door skins and around the speakers, stops all the rattles if applied well, mine looks a little untidy but I was running out of sound deadening so will have another go when I get some more.

Hope this helps!
Old 28-01-2012, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

I'm just taking all my stereo out.... Dynamat is a bitch to get out