South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Wheels,Tyres & Brakes

Old 17-01-2017, 04:59 AM
Regular User

Default 2016 STi Brakes

Anyone with the 2014+ STi noticed how awful the brakes are, or is it just me?

I'm surprised at how bad they actually perform. The car is due its first service at the start of next week so I will mention it then, but the brakes on my ZS 180 had more bite than the Brembos on the STi!
Old 17-01-2017, 11:01 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Did you buy the car from new? (so is it definitely still on the original Subaru OEM discs/pads as supplied from the factory?)

Never driven a 2014+ STI but wouldn't have thought they would be that bad. I expect your ZS180 was a fair bit lighter though so that will have helped
Old 17-01-2017, 02:37 PM
Formerly Taomyn

Mine on my 2016 STI are perfectly good and far better than my old 2003 WRX which I would expect. The 2015 STI I test drove before getting mine were also very good as I recall.

BTW, as I have always understood it, the MY date code starts each calendar year, so although the current generation was first available for order in late 2014 for delivery in 2015, the model is still MY15. It's only the NA market that muddies the waters by insisting in calling them by the next calendar year when ordered/bought the year before (or something like that). Maybe someone can clear this up for me.
Old 17-01-2017, 06:22 PM
Regular User

I bought the car last year brand new on a 16 registration, I just expected that the brakes would be superb, especially when you look at the specifications of them. The pedal feel is awful as well.

As I said its due its first service next week, it's under warranty so will get them to have a look. I'm never heavy on the brakes and they have bare minimal wear, I'm convinced that something isn't right. Even the slightest amount of rain or damp weather causes the brakes to stick on if it's been parked up for a day or two. If it wasn't for the warranty I'd be sorting it myself!
Old 17-01-2017, 07:42 PM
Formerly Taomyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by top_man_eldo View Post
Even the slightest amount of rain or damp weather causes the brakes to stick on if it's been parked up for a day or two.
Yeah, mine do that as well but I only noticed it when I was away last week back in the UK for a few days, but after a short while it was fine again. I normally park underground back home and at work so it's not often outside for too long.

Good luck with the service, let us know what they say.
Old 17-01-2017, 07:45 PM
Formerly Taomyn

Seems we're not alone http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2015-sti...r-washing.html and nothing to worry about except remembering to be a little cautious when it does happen until it clears.