South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:51 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Default SMGII gearbox on E46 M3

I know at least a couple of you guys have experience of these.

I'm thinking about another M3, but I want the SMGII g/box with a view to trying to overcome what I always felt was a bit of an agricultural manual gearbox on them. Which was the only reason I sold mine at the time.

I like the idea of a semi auto paddle shift, and it seems to be a way allot of manufacturers are going now. But that said I also do short journeys and town driving. So my question is are the SMG II's complient around town or was it jerky and a pain to get on with, or a fairly seemless, easy and comfortable way to get about. I don't want to feel like I am fighting the g/box all the time.

I'm sure they are great when you are spanking them on an open road or track but what's the SMG like just pootling about. ???

Cheers
Old 06-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Crowman

Hi Rob
I found that by just putting the car into full auto on the least agressive setting (1) it drove like a normal auto, although not quite as refined as it could be. But perfectly ok around town.
TBH this is the setting i had it on ,all the time i was just cruising and couldnt be arsed to change gear.
With it in full auto the higher you put the setting the longer it would hold the gears.

Then when you want fun,flick the gear lever over,with it already set to most agressive and have some great fun.
I have to say i absolutly loved mine for the short time i had it.

Over to Worzel for his opinions
Old 06-01-2012, 04:16 PM
worzel

SMG II gearbox was brilliant. If I could put any random thing in my scooby, this would be it

When hooning around in it, in sport mode and on harshest (quickest) gear change, it was absolutely wonderful. Even inserting the blip on the downshift automatically

Then on the flip side of that driving style, you can set the gear change as smooth as you like. Although first time I did it, it felt almost like it was slipping, but it wasn't.

Awesome gearbox
Old 06-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Crowman

Not to forget the launch control
Although be warned it rips through clutches.

Im sure you will give it at least one try