South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Gold Member

Default Pros+cons classic newage

Was talking to a friend of mine who's trying to decide on buying a classic or new age impreza. Uk, import,wrx, Sti or special etc etc .....told him my views!( all be it a bit biased)so Just thought with the mine field or knowledge and experience on here I'd start a thread to find out what the people prefer and why.. From Fact or from experiences... Thanks :rally:
Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Crowman

I've never owened a new age so can't coment really
All I can say is the classic is more Raw from my experience of owning one for 9 years, and driving a few new age scoobs.
I love the classic, even more now I have a 3 door, but a sign of getting old I guess is that I would have a new age if it was an every day car.

Have Driven Worzels a bit, it's comfy, not too bloomin noisy, and goes like Stink , So ticks all boxes for me .
Old 02-01-2012, 09:07 PM
worzel

I have had both and like them both for different reasons!

The classic IMHO feels more hardcore than a newage, but don't think that the newage is a slouch by any stretch. From 0-80 for instance, you know you have just done that in a classic, it rips your face off, in the newage it does it far more smoothly, a much more refined power delivery, you get there every bit as quick but it doesn't feel like it for some strange reason.

Without any fettling, the classic is better handling than the newage, the much talked about under steer is a bastard in the newage, but that is remedied with little expense.

The main difference (which is shown in the handling) is the weight difference, the newage feels like a barge in comparison, maybe that's a bit overboard, but it feels heavier and drives like it.

Drivability everyday, the newage wins hands down, with my back problems I would really struggle to live full time with a classic. So IMHO the newage wins this part hands down.

So which ones best? I would have to say its the classage or did I mean Newic.

They are both great cars, it's happy days whatever you get.......

......... Unless you are an old chubby bloke with a fooked back
Old 03-01-2012, 06:23 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Think the above sums it all up - classic is lighter and less refined, newage a better day to day car but heavier.

Biggest thing for me is the fact the classics are all over 10years old now so unless you get a really good one or are prepared to spend time and money on it....... remember it's the little things people don't do that make the car feel old - Mines a 2002 and really all the suspension bushes need replacing even though I've already done the ARB's, suspension and engine mounts.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 03-01-2012, 07:20 AM
Gold Member

Comfort is definetly better ill agree there,and as mentioned do miss the rawness of my classic mind!!Any preferences mechanically......
Old 03-01-2012, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member

New age STi... Strong engine and gearbox, better brakes
Old 03-01-2012, 08:10 AM
Silver Member

Which version of the classic is he looking at? I've had both pre and post facelift so can only comment on them. My pre was a WRX and the current facelifted one is a UK turbo. I preferred the pre facelift to be honest, it always felt better built than what i have now but that could well have been down to suspension mods. Also being the WRX, it was quicker i think but always felt like the engine was screaming when i was doing 70/80 on the m'way. The current facelifted one is a bit more comfortable with standard suspension, not as violent with the power but it also has leather seats which in my opinion are crap. Too hot in the summer and feckin freezing in the winter.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Silver Member

Biggest thing for me is the fact the classics are all over 10years old now so unless you get a really good one or are prepared to spend time and money on it....... remember it's the little things people don't do that make the car feel old - Mines a 2002 and really all the suspension bushes need replacing even though I've already done the ARB's, suspension and engine mounts.[/QUOTE]

As mine is a 2001 I am thinking bushes too.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Having the car polybushed is something i've thought about recently too, its getting to that age when the rubbers will be a bit shot.

But i've heard its a fair bit of effort to do, and they need to be regreased every 6 months or so? No idea what it would cost either, and whether its better just to do a couple of key bushes and leave the rest....
Old 03-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Regular User

Last edited by 53WRX; 01-12-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:56 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Had both - Several times

The Newage is an advance in evolution and is mechanically the better and stronger car.

But although the interior is newer, I never felt the build quality was much better in a newage. They are still a field of cheap plastic, switch gear and materials, and little or no refinement no matter which age. Once you get past the dated interior of a classic, which makes its a classic if you know what I mean, then apart from a door that has a slight more thud/ting as you shut it, I wouldn't say it much more of a nicer place to be. Its still very much a subaru.

The power delivery of a remapped Hawk is lovely. But then so is a remapped classic running a TD04.

Horses for courses - but pound for pound newages represent better value for money right now. Good classics seem to be fetching good money still, and the cheap shed clasics are cheap for a reason.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for all the comments people nice bit of ammo there...Try and get him on here to read some posts...to be honest if I had the money and room!( two garages) I'd also be the proud owner of a p1! On that note must go do that lotto!
Old 03-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

My ideal car would be a Classic Type R wide-body running Newage Spec-C suspension, Newage built 2.5 and 6-speed and Newage Engine management.
Basically strip all the guts out of a Newage and throw them in Classic......hmmm now that's a nice project.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Gold Member

Glad someone has posted this question as, over the last few months, I have been mulling over a classic project (for weekend use only) in place of my daily driver newage (blob).

One of my concerns though, is that going from a newage STi to a relatively standard classic (Type R) will be a bit of step backwards (I don't mean that in an offensive way classic owners! ).

Interesting to read the comments of those who have owned both, definately food for thought!
Old 04-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Gold Member

My face lift Sti ra was much more of a handful That's for sure!! Mind you wasn't really worried about crashing back then