South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Studio > Meet / Event Pics & Vids

Meet / Event Pics & Vids Post all your meet / event pictures here.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Gold Member

Default Drift AllStars R2 - Wimbledon Stadium

So, as some of you might have seen, last weekend was the second round of the Drift AllStars competition as held at Wimbledon Stadium. It was a long day but, once it did get going, there was some cracking action (plus some pretty cool cars lurking in the car park as well).

Anyway, here be some pictures!

Steve Evans mental YB powered Toyota Starlet was in action, both in his hands and in those of Luke Fink. Fink had been getting a lot of stick prior to the event but I think he silenced all the critics with his first run in the Starlet…

…one wall run later…

…clearly the spoiler was sticking out just a bit too far!

Unfortunately the Starlet got tangled with another car at the start of the top 16 and was taken out of the running for the rest of the competition.

The Jap Performance Parts RB Impreza looking mean…

…and rather wide…

…sadly by the time we got there the car was already out of the running for the day, having **** its gearbox during the first practise runs. Really disappointed as I was looking forward to seeing both the car and its driver (Walton Smith) in action. All was not lost though as, just as the qualifying session was coming to an end, an unmarked Volvo came out onto track and parked up amongst the last few cars…

…turned out Smith had convinced someone to loan him their car (a car we had been admiring in the car park about 10 minutes earlier!). With no prior practise he rolled the car from the middle of the track and straight into his qualifying runs.

Despite the heroic effort though, Smith failed to qualify for the top 16. Top marks for trying!

Passing the judges stand with a sponsor banner you have collected off the barrier does not give you extra points:

Obligatory drift laydees:

(Not a patch on the Marangoni bird from last year though)

(Can’t decide if I prefer this or the first shot in the thread more, hence why virtually the same photo is in here twice!)

Something for everyone in the car park, even the bus drivers:

More spare parts!

Rocket Bunny S13. IS WIDE.

The face of irritation: the chap on the left is the incredibly annoying commentator. If you ever see him, give him a slap for all of us there on the day!

So after several hours of playing with the camera I was ready for the perfect panning shot.

Camera on: check.
Camera settings tweaked: check.
Car going very sideways: check.
Just got to press the button now for that perfect shot…

f*#%ing hanging basket!

And, finally, the Low Brain Drifters LS1 powered PS13:

This car was easily the highlight (and fave picture!) of the day for me; I have yet to see a video of the day that captures just how awesome this car sounded*.

* FAO Rich & Graham: I think it was actually as good as that Aston.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Silver Member

Cool pictures!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

great job mate, thanks for posting the photos
Old 02-07-2012, 01:54 PM
worzel

Cracking pics that man

I was very tempted to go to this, ended up clashing with Family stuff.

This one is the doggies nuts mate

Old 02-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Crowman

Nice pics mate
What was the starlet like, seams a bit short and tall for a drift car
Old 02-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomma View Post
Cool pictures!
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
great job mate, thanks for posting the photos
No worries, you know I always like a photo thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
I was very tempted to go to this, ended up clashing with Family stuff.
Pity you didn't as it was a good day out (though a lot of waiting around before it really got going)

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
This one is the doggies nuts mate
Cheers mate! There are a few shots I'm not sure about because of the various objects in the foreground: not sure if they add to the pictures or take away from them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
Nice pics mate
What was the starlet like, seams a bit short and tall for a drift car
Very impressive. I was surprised when I first saw it too as I thought it would struggle. Luke Fink was hugely impressive in it though; he was running so close to the wall that he took the spoiler off but that didn't seem to change much, as he continued to get faster and more sideways on each practise run.

Was expecting him and Evans to do well in the top 16 but, as I mentioned, he was caught up with another car when that crashed out.

Not a massive impact, but the rear right corner of the car was stoved in, so both Fink and Evans couldn't compete anymore.