South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > Events & Meets > The Ring Zone

The Ring Zone The area for the Annual S.E.S Ring Trip. Plus all the information you will ever need on the infamous Nurburgring.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Crowman

Default Ring stuff

Hi All

Well, Feb 29th is notable for more than being a leap year. It's also the date by which the local government wanted Nürburgring Automotive Gmbh to have vacated the premises following alleged termination of the lease between them. I understand there has been a counterclaim from NAG for damages in the order of some €23 million. Let the posturing begin.

The counterclaim seems a little rich by the order of, say - €650,000 or so. Apparently, this is the anticipated cost of reinstating the Brauhaus and other buildings on the new complex following flood damage that - allegedly - was not reported and fixed in a timely fashion. Now there is mould and damp in the buildings which may have to have some serious remedial work if they are to be fit for purpose again.

Spare a thought for the employees of NAG, many of whom used to work in the same jobs whilst in the public sector (where they will probably end up once more) These guys, who I went over to meet a couple of weeks ago, still have families and homes to maintain and I got the impression they're learning about most things through the media. Not a great position for anyone to be in.

Whilst I was there I was also reassured that, by way of contract clause, all scheduled events including races would be honoured no matter who was in control of the Nürburgring. I'd anticipated various scenarios of contractual*disarray, but was glad to hear the event calendar would be safe - from the horses mouth as it were.

So, watch this space. If I hear of anything not reported widely I'll of course let you know.

Hot Passenger Laps - March
'Queen of the Nürburgring' Sabine Schmitz will be running high speed passenger laps of the VLN circuit on our track day in March. On the 20th and 21st *you will be able to experience the Green Hell beside one of the more colourful characters in the Eifel, a thrill ride you won't forget in a hurry. See the website for more details.

Bilstein will also be bringing some racecars equipped with their suspension systems, you can get the chance to take a ride with pro race drivers and feel the difference yourself. This is the third time Bilstein have supported Destination Nürburgring events, and once again these laps are free of charge, subject to availability.

Pre 'Ring Vehicle Inspections
If you haven't already, you will no doubt be looking to get your cars into shape for what lies ahead. Whether you're doing one of our events or not, key partner Buckinghamshire High Performance offer a pre trip vehicle inspection to make sure your cars systems are in tip top condition. Give the guys a shout to discuss your requirements, be it service or modification/race preparation.

Frikadelli Racing, based in Barweiler next to Nürburg can also help with service and setup, also offering car stoRage while you're away from the 'Ring. They also offer geo setups, corner weighting and even have a dyno available. If you think they can help you - drop them a line. I popped in to see them a couple of weeks ago, a really friendly outfit.

DSMB Licence Training
Jaco Velders is one of Germany's race instructors. No big deal? In the UK we have hundreds of them! Well, in Germany there are apparently only 30! If you, or someone you know, is thinking about racing on the Nordschleife (aren't we all) then he can assist with registration and training to get licenced. Get in touch with him here.

Track Day Spaces available for March
The snow has all melted, workers are busy repairing the inevitable winter frost damage to the track surface and it's officially spring. We're still running what will go down as the greatest offer on any track day at the 'Ring - 'Buy One Day - Get Your Second Day Free' - click the link to see what we mean.*

Looking forward to meeting you soon.

Darren
Ringweekends Ltd