South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 01-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Gold Member

Default Rattle..??

My car had developed a rattle over the last few days comming from the, from stood at front, left hand head.

Would start off fairly loud, and get quieter when engine would warm up. Fearing the worst I started to look at new heads etc etc.

Finished early today, So I decided to have a look, and take the cam cover off. With the engine warm, it wasnt making a sound, untill I put the ratchet on the top left hand bolt, and moved the casing MM's to the right...and rattle..

Sooo..Is this normal for the casing to shift? I take it that its just rubbing on the cam wheel, and being made of metal, expansion when warm so no rub, but rub when cold.

Just replace the bolts/rubbers or more than that?
Old 01-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry but i know its off topic but i saw you cruising on the m25 junction 6 at about 2ish, getting it warm, going home, listening for rattle perhaps????
Old 01-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Gold Member

I was on my way home from headoffice,Basingstoke, 170 Mile round trip. Was there signing off a big new training plan for the company.

Pootled alot of the way at just 60, wasnt too sure what was wrong with her at the time.

You get very odd looks when you do that Ive discovered, sitting at 60 in the slow lane For the Win..
Old 01-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member

I noticed you from a way back, the red flaps gave it away! hope you get it sorted fella sounds like your on the right track.
All the best, i hate rattles and clonks!!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Gold Member

Was checking today if the bolts on the cam cover were tight enough, and some how i overtightend it and it snapped, top one. Am i ok just to take the left hand cover off for a while?
Old 10-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

no cam cover
Its what keeps the oil in your engine
Old 10-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Gold Member

lol, not the cam cover, the cam belt cover,
Old 12-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Gold Member

Well, took the cam belt cover off today, left hand side, adjusted the belt guide, but the sound still persists.

The odd thing is, if you apply just a tiny bit of pressure to the belt housing, the sound goes away.

Does the back part of the housing slowley go out of shape with age?
Old 20-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Gold Member

Sorted now. Was the bottom belt guide. Had to strip nearly everything off the front to get to the bolts, only to discover they have been rounded off! Not happy, as it was Scoobyworld who changed the belt a while back.

In the end, I got a 1mm thick screwdriver, and bent the guide forward slightly.