South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Show 'N' Shine

Show 'N' Shine Cleaning / Detailing Talk

Old 11-11-2016, 04:57 PM
Bronze Member

Default Underbonnet rescue

Hi all,

My engine bay is a disgrace, it seems like it was never cleaned before I bought the car (at 88K miles) and I haven't touched it since. I would be embarrassed to open the bonnet and it probably isn't good for reliability either, so it's about time I pulled my finger out.

Given that I don't have a lot of spare time myself, or any experience with detailing, can anyone recommend someone who can get it into a basic clean condition where I will be able to maintain that level with a few hours work every few months? I'm near Sevenoaks/Maidstone.

Cheers,

Toby
Old 11-11-2016, 05:10 PM
Bronze Member

In all honesty mate you could easily do it yourselfHave a look at this site http://polishedswiss.weebly.com/engine-bay.html,to give you some advice and tips on how to clean your engine bay effectively and safely.SJ.
Old 15-11-2016, 01:36 AM

I use a bit of Autoglym machine cleaner. I normally cover only the air intake and any exposed electrics (the rest gets very wet anyway when driving in heavy rain) spray on and use a brush, a soft one or a small wheel brush to get down in the tight to reach places.
When rinsing make sure you don't blast anything with a pressure washer close up, you just need to use your noodle and rinse it from a distance.
Its an easy job really.
You can dry up with an old microfiber, dress pipes and black bits with some vinyl care product if you wish but its not necessary.

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 15-11-2016, 01:58 AM
Platinum Member

Do what i do lift bonnet have a look at engine bay laugh and close bonnet

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 15-11-2016, 06:01 AM
Bronze Member

To the OP,if you decide to give it a go yourself you won't regret it cuz once you see that finishing look you will never want it to look dirty again, especially after all your hard work.SJ.
Old 15-11-2016, 03:41 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks all, for the encouragement. Now, could any of you convince my wife that it is time well spent?
Old 15-11-2016, 06:43 PM

Default Underbonnet rescue

Just did mine a mo ago took 30mins I tend to do mine 3 times a year maybe, keep on top of it and it's easy to keep it
Looking clean👍🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 15-11-2016, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

I dont need an excuse as the tells me her car needs a washed , ive never cleaned my engine bay but cleaned the engine bay in the bm took me about an hour using Am Details APC cleaner .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 15-11-2016, 11:04 PM
Formerly STIWR1

I have used this stuff - spray it all over and wipe of the residue. Seems to keep things rust free and a bit shiny. Suggested on another forum

https://www.amazon.co.uk/30308-Aeros...303+protectant
Old 16-11-2016, 11:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggissimo View Post
Thanks all, for the encouragement. Now, could any of you convince my wife that it is time well spent?
Take a long run up... get under her feet for a few weekends, be mildly irritating and then suggest going out to sort the car.

I'm lucky, like Scotty, as I keep both Subarus in the household clean, so Mrs Stig is an advocate and I'm encouraged not resisted.
Old 16-11-2016, 02:59 PM
Bronze Member

That's how my engine used to look after a 30 minute spruce up,it's definitely worth the effort.SJ.