South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics > Car DIY walk throughs

Old 12-05-2013, 11:06 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Default DIY - Window tint removal

Done this today on the classic. It had medium tints all around (apart from the screen!)

I wanted to remove the tints from the front driver and passenger windows as it was too dark. After doing some research, this is what I did, using a hairdryer. There are other options, but this is by far the easiest. It also saves the £60 odd quid I was quoted to do it!!!!

Heat up the top corner of the window and pick it back with your fingers or a razor.

Hold the hairdryer over the loose film and slowly (very slowly) pull the film back keeping the heat on it.

Be aware that the tint has two layers, the main tint and then the bonding agent to the window. If you pull too fast you will find the tint comes away but leaves the glue on the window.

Once the tint is removed, remove any remaining glue. I used the wife's nail varnish remover and it cam off a treat.

Then clean the window with normal window cleaner and the job's done

Thought I'd post it up as although its an easy job, its useful to know it can be done easily using heat.

Last edited by Lucky; 12-05-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Nice one mate. The tweaking has started already, good to see!
Old 12-05-2013, 11:31 PM
Rest in peace Jodie.

my mate did this last weekend, removed the glue with petrol on rags
Old 13-05-2013, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member

You probably did the right thing as I think it's illegal to have those windows tinted any way. 70% of light has to be able to penetrate through.
Old 13-05-2013, 09:24 AM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Yes Rich. They look good on the other windows but I personally didn't like them on the front. I reckon they where 50% so actually made it harder to see out of as well.