South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Members Car Profiles

Members Car Profiles Show & Tell Your Pride & Joy

Old 25-06-2010, 10:22 AM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Default Back into a JAP car again :)

Well gone at done it and scratching another very long itch. Picked up a very nice 03 S2000 last night, a great example with just 33K miles and FHSH.

Its like day and night in terms of how it drives compared turbo cars and most other machinery I have had in recent years. But its no less fun in fact more fun because its got the added advantage of a sublim chassis, handling and with the top down is an absolute hoot. Easy to see why is was top gears car for a few years.

The myth about no power below 6.5K is ********, its nippy quick below 6.5K and picks up really well after 6.5K all the way to a epic 9K+ The gearbox is just wonderful...

Its a proper little drivers sports car, that has enough power to deliver unlike MX5's.

With 240bhp on tap as standard is doesn't feel as quick as I thought it would, but reserve judgment on that. With no turbo and a Vtec engine it can make the pereception of power a little odd and make it feel slower that what it really is.

The Saab would leave it for dead in the performance stakes, but the saab is a performance freek of nature. With the S2000 you can have lots of fun driving it normally and within legal limits, which is what I was looking for.

The way it drives reminds me very much of my old RS1600I days.

Pics to follow once I have given it a good detail.

Once again I can't wait till the next time I drive it and I always want to take the long way home, which is something that I have only ever got from 2 seater convertible sports cars.
Old 25-06-2010, 10:35 AM
worzel

Nice one Rob

They are a cracking little car
Old 25-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

i've always liked the S2000, one of a few convertibles i'd like to own.

Make sure you bring it to Japbash!
Old 25-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Rest in peace Simon.

Nice but still give you 4weeks before sold
Old 25-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Crowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
i've always liked the S2000, one of a few convertibles i'd like to own.

Make sure you bring it to Japbash!
No chance Rob will have it still for Jap Bash

Great car Rob,looking forward to the pics
Old 25-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster View Post
Nice but still give you 4weeks before sold
That would be a record for Rob?

Give it 2 weeks before another "itch" needs to be scratched...
Old 25-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

No no no its suppose to rain Sunday night.... So i thing it will be sold by Monday night lol

One of my mates has a turbo converted one that is a beast
Old 25-06-2010, 11:53 AM
SES Mercedes Division

Where will be the first place to see pics of it?

On here or Auto Trader?

Joking

Gotta love the S2000. Always liked the look of them, never been in one
Old 25-06-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
No chance Rob will have it still for Jap Bash
Can't believe i missed that
Old 25-06-2010, 12:43 PM

PMSL Its definately here to stay for the summer at least. If the car treats me right and works still good as I hope, it might even be a keeper. In which case the current intention is to use it rain or shine or possibly mothball it in the winter and get myself a cheapy cheap Scoob for over winter.

Its been a long time since I can't wait to go for a drive again, which sais allot about the car.
Old 25-06-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger View Post

One of my mates has a turbo converted one that is a beast
Very nice motor..... 7K gets its supercharged and circa 450bhp. Which must be mental in this little go-kart. Mighty tempting, but vowed not to go down the modifying route, other than perhaps an induction kit or airbox mod at some point.
Old 25-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Platinum Member

I had an early S2000 and was disappointed....twichy round corners and difficult for me to get comfortable in. Sold it within 6 months which is still a long time for you Rob!
I trust you got a later version which I have heard handles better?
Old 25-06-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi View Post
I had an early S2000 and was disappointed....twichy round corners and difficult for me to get comfortable in. Sold it within 6 months which is still a long time for you Rob!
I trust you got a later version which I have heard handles better?
Mines a facelift 2003 model with better suspension, more leather, glass screen etc. But its still a hanfull if pushed, but that all adds to the pleasure for me. Its very easy to cover ground quickly in a scoob, but you really have to work at it in the S2000 which makes it all that more fun and absolutely buzzing after a spirited drive. Its a car that has to be driven rather than drive you.

They do have small cockpits and dont lend themselves to tall/wide people. And the accelerator pedal is very close to the break pedal which is great if you into some heal and toe but it takes some getting used to for normal use and you can't be lazy with your feet position.

As a point A to point B car there is pretty much nothing than can touch a scoob for covering ground quickly (apart from my Saab ). But if you want lots of smiles even when your not not pushing silly speeds then the S2000 wins for me. Very much chalk and cheese cars and you can't really compare a 4 seater turbo charged family saloon with a tiny 2 seater convertible normally aspirated car.
Old 27-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Nige

Never been in one they are ment to be a very good car Rob with good re sale values. Only jokeing mate enjoy the summer with it
Old 28-06-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
Never been in one they are ment to be a very good car Rob with good re sale values. Only jokeing mate enjoy the summer with it
If bought wisely as I have. Its a depreciation proof car I'd say. You have only to look at what Elise and VX220's fetch these days. They have actually gone up in value. My current intention is to have my wicked way with if for the summer and then garage it for the winter. Although unlike the Elise its a car that would quite happily see you through a winter if you wanted.

A main dealer service is just under £200 for a minor service and under £400 for a main, with long service intervals. Bullet proof Honda engineering, No cambelt to worry about and an easy car to work on if you wanted to self service. 2 seater, convertible sports car fun don't come much cheaper than this other than the MX5 which isn't quick enough.
Old 29-06-2010, 06:36 PM

Few pics, wheels wouldn't be my first choice but nicer than standard IMO.

Old 30-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

looks good mate, wheels arn't really my cup of tea but the car as a whole looks good
Old 30-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Agree on the wheels....
It's very Blue.......
Old 01-07-2010, 09:28 AM
worzel

I Like a lot, but agree with the wheels comment.

Nice car Rob
Old 01-07-2010, 04:51 PM

I also agree about wheels, dont like the style a nice set of OZ style mutli spoke alloys in graphite would have been better. But interesting that everything thinks the same i.e could have done better so don't know what an earth the guy was thinking when he bought these ones. These are 18" BK racing alloys so not cheap ones either......

I'll kick the tyres out if I keep the car long enough then perhaps think about some replacements. Took it out for a blast just for the hell of it last night, and its been a long time since I have wanted to do that. It gets better the more you drive it and come to realise you have to drive it very differently.

Might be having my cake and eat it as well , and I might be picking up a scoob tonight to replace the Saab. The Problem will then be the dilema to be extravagent and keep both for how ever the mood takes me, or keep the scoob and sell the S2000.. Will report back later tonight
Old 01-07-2010, 05:33 PM
worzel

Priceless, absolutely priceless. Only you mate.

One thing you said there though, you took the S2000 out for the hell of it, that should tell you loads
Old 01-07-2010, 11:52 PM

Well got the scoob and chuffed to bits with it, pics to follow. Its a W reg Saloon in Dark blue, STI rear lights, full decat, prodrive graphite alloys,VF35 on top mount, bob rawl map, spring, shocks, STI8 interior including trimmed door cards(very nice), Top spec stereo, olbligatory crystal pack, mid level spoiler (looks right on a classic and not OTT imo). New disks and pads all round,, and clutch, circa 320/320 and very responsive. Very genuine car, just needs dent dent majician and chips away to sort out a few issues, but nothing major and base car is very straight and honest.

Goes really well as you would expect.... Going to probably run both though as they are both cracking cars in the there own way.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:19 AM

hah, you change your motors more often that i change my socks!

scoob sounds good, any pics?
Old 02-07-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
hah, you change your motors more often that i change my socks!

scoob sounds good, any pics?
lol - Hopefully I should settle down now as for me personally I have the 2 best value performance cars money car buy, which both have very different characteristics and yet reward you in very different ways.

With just the slightest TLC the Scoob has the potential to be a a real minter, and as a road car is about about as much as you could ever want in terms of performance. The scoob needs a bloody good clean inside and out and then I can see more clearly.

At the moment though, rather than keep the S2000 the thinking is to still have my fun with the S2000 over the summer, but tentatively put it up for sale and see if I can get the price I want. And as the summer draws out maybe lower the price. But need to give the scoob a good clean and see how I feel about it first.

But the scoob is defo staying (honestly guv) its just a question whether the S2000 stays as well.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEvo5 View Post
lol - Hopefully I should settle down now
I'm sure you said that when you bought the M3.....
Old 02-07-2010, 04:39 PM
SES Mercedes Division

Very nice mate

I like it
Old 02-07-2010, 08:32 PM

Few pics of the scoob and the S2000. The scoob is good now but will look 100% better time I have finished giving it a good details and paint the scuff on the front.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Nige

Looking good Rob.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:43 PM

thats a real tidy looking classic there, STI7 seats are the best ones too
Old 02-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

as a matter of interest Rob...how many cars have you had?
Old 03-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Bronze Member

dont like the blue interior and blue dash in the honda. reminds me to much of nissan bluebirds
Old 03-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Bronze Member

Like the Scoob very much

Tempted to request 1st dibs on it when you decide to sell it next week
Old 03-07-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi View Post
as a matter of interest Rob...how many cars have you had?
Lots, and lots probbably in excess of 100 since i've been driving, and scary thought is I have lost on most of them. I could have probably had a 997 turbo bought and paid for by now if I just bought a top spec car in the first plate. But I wouldnt have had half as much fun .
Old 03-07-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabusMY94 View Post
Like the Scoob very much

Tempted to request 1st dibs on it when you decide to sell it next week

I'll bare it in mind mate. I've spent all day detailing the car, and its now looking spot on. Just a couple of pin dents to sort now.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Crowman

Nice Honda mate, I have driven my mates black one, first I thought it was gutless then he said why was I driving it like a pussy, he said rev the thing, this was prob 3 years ago and I still remember just what a great laugh it was, fook me they take some thrashing.The scoob looks bloomin good matey.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
Lots, and lots probbably in excess of 100 since i've been driving, and scary thought is I have lost on most of them. I could have probably had a 997 turbo bought and paid for by now if I just bought a top spec car in the first plate. But I wouldnt have had half as much fun .
You missed a '0' of that Rob, or was that just last years tally.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
Nice Honda mate, I have driven my mates black one, first I thought it was gutless then he said why was I driving it like a pussy, he said rev the thing, this was prob 3 years ago and I still remember just what a great laugh it was, fook me they take some thrashing.The scoob looks bloomin good matey.
The S2000 is a very odd car, and has to be driven a few times before you understand it, and Im still coming to turns with it now.. Compared to modern machinery its not what i would call a v.quick car, and agree first reaction to getting in it - is blimey its slow. But its more about the experience than outright performance. That said drive it like you stole it and its very rewarding and would keep pace with most things, and in the twisties its sublim. I have timed the car on familier roads at certain speed points and its very close to allot of other cars I have had including the M3. The car traps a quarter mile as standard in around 14 secs which isn't too shabby and hardly slow.

The thrill is with is handling and high reving engine. Find some twisities line up the corners and keep the thing between 7-9k rpm and there is nothing IMO that can put a smile on your face more.

And a different thrill again is when just pootling around with top top and just go through the gears with revs under 5K. In any other car driven like this it will just feel like you have got to your destination. In the S2000 you will have thoroughly enjoyed the drive.

I love them both and if I have to give one of them up - It would be a tough call...

I need to have a chat with Mr Moley and see what he can sort me out with regards a daul insurance policy and go from there.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
You missed a '0' of that Rob, or was that just last years tally.
lol - So when we going to the obligatory test drive, be interesting to see your perception of the car. ?. ps. Soz the boys let me down with regards the bracket, but early next week shouldbe good.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooberblue View Post
dont like the blue interior and blue dash in the honda. reminds me to much of nissan bluebirds
Not sure about the nissan comparison - But I agree, some black or brushed aluminium in the mix would have been much better. My first choice would have been a silver one with either red or black interior with brushd aluminium inlays. But this one was the right price/spec/mileage.

As Scott put it - " its very blue "
Old 04-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

The scoob looks very nice to me.

It must be a "keeper"..
Old 06-07-2010, 10:29 PM

Few more pics of the S2000 for when Oooops I mean IF I decide to sell it.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:50 PM

run out of petrol in it now mate?

*cough* http://bbs.scoobynet.com/private-for...and-cheap.html
Old 11-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
PMSL Its definately here to stay for the summer at least. If the car treats me right and works still good as I hope, it might even be a keeper.

Quote:
If bought wisely as I have. Its a depreciation proof car I'd say. You have only to look at what Elise and VX220's fetch these days. They have actually gone up in value. My current intention is to have my wicked way with if for the summer and then garage it for the winter.

Just seen this:

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/private-for-sale-general-17/840780-honda-s2000-2003-33k-stunning-and-cheap.html