South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Show 'N' Shine

Show 'N' Shine Cleaning / Detailing Talk

Old 16-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

Default Morris Minor Detail

Bit of a different detail this time a very old and nice morris minor, my mate asked me could i give it a tidy up as the paint was faded and he decided its time to finally sell her.

Unfortunatly i havent got any process pic mainly because i had only a few hours to do it, this is the first classic car ive done, its even got the indicators that pop up and stick out rather than flashy ones, also its got the metal sunvisor, i was told its very rare and is worth as much as the car if not more

So it was given the usual treatment but with alot more care than a usual car would need as its mostly original paint, so no snow foam, soft shampoos and clay etc

Products

Meguairs clay kit
Meguairs last touch detailer
Chemicial guys maxi suds II
Chemicial guys wet mirror finish
Petes 53 wax
Carnauba wax
Autoglym metal polish
Billberry wheel cleaner
Meguairs fast glass
Meguairs endurance tyre gloss

Process

I rinsed the car and washed it with maxi suds II, only used 2 caps in the bucket but it was enough to do the car, plus i didnt want to use many chemicials on the paint.

Then it was on to the clay, i mixed up some quickdetailer but made it fairly weak and kneeded the clay so it was quite soft and picked up any contaminates quickly with minimum passes, the clay got most of the contaminates but some were left and i didnt want to risk claying the car anymore. The paint was left smooth but there is still room for improvement.

Next i washed it again with maxi suds II and cleaned the wheels with billberry wheel cleaner, again it was mixed up weak but still did the job, most of the dust and dirt was removed with the soft wheel brush but there wasnt much there in there in the first place. The car was rinsed and dried with sonus der wunder drying towel.

Then pannel by pannel i used chemicial guys wet mirror finish on the sonus red pad, once it was fully worked into the paint it was buffed off using an ultra soft plush towel. Heres a 50/50 not very good but you can see the difference on a test area on the bonnet. Its ait difficult to see because it was taken on my phone but the before is on the left and after on the right

Then after each pannel was done a layer of carnauba wax was applyed to the car and left to dwell, once it was fully hazed it was buffed off using a plush towel and a layer of petes 53 wax was added and left to haze. Once hazed it was buffed off.

Next all the trim bits were polished with autoglym metal polish and the glass cleaned with meguairs fast glass, the wheels were treated with meguairs endurance gloss so they stood out more in the photos.

Heres the after pics

I think the morris minor aka "milo" turned out really well, i could of spent alot more time on it but unfortunatly i couldnt, it now looks like new and has been put back into storage (hence all the bits in the car lol) its been well looked after and the wax should last quite a while too as its in the garage and should only need topping up now and then.