South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 04-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Default Brake fluid

If i was to do a complete brake fluid change how much would i need and of what sort / Brand, Dot 4, Dot 5.1 ??? 1litre+ ??
Old 04-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Nige

Your going to need pads mate. Changeing the fluid will only make the peddle feel better.
Some .4 fully synthetic is the mutts NUT'S but also overkill. I would ask Alyn ASPerformance what he would recommend. Looks a tidy car buddy.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Crowman

Nige, it's the pedal which is problem, pads and discs are fine, but fluid not been changed since 2006 according to service history .
Pedal is soft and low before being effective. Bleeding will prob sort it, but needs fluid change anyway.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:25 AM
Platinum Member

Cheers guys, must get on top off it soon, its drivable obviously but wouldn't want to do any fast lane driving behind anybody!

Yeah im well pleased with my purchase, just need and want the time to sort the niggles before the spring.

Iv'e got some overtime at heathrow on sunday (12 hours ) and im now thinking i may take it there for a good old clean up and tinker session whilst im on standby up there. nice big work shop where i can get underneath it.

Oooh i can feel an engine clean coming on without the wife moaning
" how long you gonna be out there , your dinners get cold "
Old 05-12-2011, 06:52 AM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorscooby View Post
Oooh i can feel an engine clean coming on without the wife moaning
" how long you gonna be out there , your dinners get cold "

Well at least you get a dinner.

Mine used to end up in the dog. :double:
Old 05-12-2011, 07:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
Well at least you get a dinner.

Mine used to end up in the dog. :double:
Ive just sent Alyn a Pm for the price of some fluids and oils.

Would ideally like to change the engine oil before saturdays run up to RCM.
Didn't want to post another thread of "what oil viscosity" again
Old 13-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Regular User

go for some 10w40 fully synthetic, motul is great stuff, but any good brand should do it. if the brake fluid hasnt been done since 2006 then it will definately need doing ASAP, especially if you like to give it some welly. you should put about a litre through to ensure the whole system has fresh fluid but do a little more just to be sure. make sure you do the calipers in the right order and as nige said .4 is overkill but you cant fault it.
Old 13-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Nige

Hello Torqueworks. Let us know more about you buddy in the new members. :rally:
Old 14-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Authorised Trader

dot4 is pretty much industry std for modern vehicles and actually sits lower than the likes of dot5.1 in capability and temp ability so fail to see how its "over-kill".............

maybe you are getting confused with some race based fluids which fail the majority of the dot stds but can potentially pass the dot4 min abilities for life, etc...

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 14-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Had Dot5.1 in my old Classic.
Even had some ATE Super Blue racing stuff in there once which was great for bleeding the entire system as you could see the change.
Although people tend to wonder why you have screen wash in your brake fluid resovoir
Old 15-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperformance View Post
dot4 is pretty much industry std for modern vehicles and actually sits lower than the likes of dot5.1 in capability and temp ability so fail to see how its "over-kill".............

maybe you are getting confused with some race based fluids which fail the majority of the dot stds but can potentially pass the dot4 min abilities for life, etc...
Your right the stuff in mine is a race fluid fully synthetic dot4meant to be the best money can buy ( or so i was told) That's what I meant about "overkill" Sorry for not explaining this fully. It's just more ******** I've been fed by a certain company.
Old 15-12-2011, 05:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Had Dot5.1 in my old Classic.
Even had some ATE Super Blue racing stuff in there once which was great for bleeding the entire system as you could see the change.
Although people tend to wonder why you have screen wash in your brake fluid resovoir
Yup Motul dot 5.1 it is, or it will be on sat.

I reckon theres dot 3 in there at the mo, along with some water and air by the feel of the pedal!!
Old 15-12-2011, 06:18 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

If it's that bad it may be worth getting some cheap Dot 4 from an autofactors and bleeding that through first take the car for a drive to check that it's fully bleed and sorted the pedal out then re-bleeding with the good stuff, you may have some pain in the butt air bubbles in the system that take a lot of flushing out and it would be an arse to run out of the expensive stuff before you've fully flushed the system.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 15-12-2011, 07:14 AM
Crowman

Nick, that's not a bad idea, bless with some halfords stuff to get a decent pedal then do a complete fluid change
Old 15-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

RCM used the APRacing DOT 5.1 in mine when they done the servicing

Brakes feel great, which is a good thing as the 22b has no ABS
Old 15-12-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Yup Motul dot 5.1 it is, or it will be on sat.

I reckon theres dot 3 in there at the mo, along with some water and air by the feel of the pedal!!
Their probably fine mate, just normal Subaru brakes.
You've just got to used to the over-assisted Ford focus brakes.
Old 15-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Agree with Nick - if you've bought the Motul MBF600 stuff then i'd flush through with something else (cheaper) first. Last time i had mine done, I used over half a litre just to flush it fully, then another half litre went in.

Quote:
I was thinking about that as you were barrelling down the M1 behind me last weekend
Old 15-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Crowman

Quote:
I hear what your saying Scott, as there notthe best standard brakes, But i drove Rich's scoob and the pedal does fook all until at least half way down, very spongy.
The calipers have been refurbished and discs and pads are all good.
The flyuid has noit been changed for a good few years.

Once fluid is changed and thier bled, they will be fine, well for standard 4 pots
Old 15-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Crowman

Brakes feel great, which is a good thing as the 22b has no ABS[/QUOTE]

Me neither
ABS is for girls :scoob::scoob:
Old 15-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
No seriously scott they are poo! My pug expert van has more braking power! but i know what you mean about ford brakes, they were only disc's on the front and drums on the rear of the Focus and they had more stopping force than my disc's all round Honda i have now!

They do stop you but you could never get an emergency stop out of em!
Old 15-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Regular User

well in that case you definately need to completely flush the system then, as i said before a litre will do it, use a little more just to be safe. the cheap brake fluid idea is a good one but if you want the good stuff in your system then you need to completely flush it again the second time, but at least you wont have the air and water to contend with. APracing stuff is the muts nuts in any car but its all about how much you have to spend...
Old 15-12-2011, 11:18 PM

Rich, if your at jaffas this weekend you can have some of my blue stuff to use as a flush. Will make it alot more obvious. I can drop it out there if your there saturday.
Old 16-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Rich, if your at jaffas this weekend you can have some of my blue stuff to use as a flush. Will make it alot more obvious. I can drop it out there if your there saturday.
Scott you are a diamond that would be very handy!

Ill be down there for 9:30, but dont come out of your way if the snow and weather is bad
Old 16-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Bronze Member

Changing rear calipers tomorrow thought I would change brake fluid aswell brought 1.25 litres of halfords dot 5.1 for just over £6, I love my trade card
Old 17-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

I used motul 5.1 in the end, much better!