South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 13-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Silver Member

Default Easiest way to install gearbox on drive

What are your technique's for doing this on your drive at home i have done this 4 times before and struggled horribly... Think the last time i didnt take the wheels off so still had the drive sharfts in, which made life horrible. This was only because the car was on Ramps. Managed to do it in the end but it was horrible..
Old 13-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Crowman

Hi mate, did mine on the drive and will never do it again, just on axle stands, horrible job, not difficult at all, just S h I t t y
I took wheels off, removed shafts, exhaust , prop etc.
It's just the laying under the car with sod all room , then pulling the box off and onto chest, fook me it's heavy .
Old 14-01-2012, 12:55 AM
Silver Member

Yeah i did it the first time i did it, but that was on my mates ramp at his work.. That was not to bad, then i did someone elses on the floor and dropped the box on me, and then i did it again for myself to fit a paddel clutch and hated it, then one last time to take the paddle clutch out as i hated it and that time was the absaloute worst as i find the lining up a absaloute nightmare!!
Old 14-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Silver Member

done it once, will never do it again. Jaffa did my last gearbox change at a decent enough price that i'll never touch my grabox again !
seriously, you know how much hassle it is changing a box having done it before yourself, PM jaffa and get a price and a guarantee you'l think its worth paying him to do it rather than go thrpough the hassle of doin it again yourself !
and, you can watch how he does it in case at some point in the future your brain stops working properly and you decide to undertake a gearbox change yourself !
Old 16-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Silver Member

Car is already on stands on my drive, box is split from engine, prop is out, just need to pull drive shafts out and drop box. (if only it was that easy... lol) Getting out is not the issue, its lining it back up which is the headache.

I would love to drop the car to Tone's but that would cost me a absaloute fortune as he is miles away from me. Plus i am broke..
Old 16-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Bronze Member

It's easy what is everyone complaining about you just need tea and patience, remove anything that gets in the way rather than trying to undo bolts or nuts that are hard to get too. It can just be a pain wiggling it out, but with a bit of gentle persuasion she'll come out eventually.
Old 16-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Silver Member

ok well as you already have it out, you need a trolley jack and 2 people.
the trolley jack goes under the box. 1 person lays under the car under, the drivers seat with feet towards the front. use 1 foot to move front troley jack forwards with hands on the back of the box.
second person lays other side of the box & does all the lining up & adjusting jack height.

only problem is if you are high up on axle stands, the trolley jack wont reach. i chucked a few planks of wood under mine, which helped, but gets in teh way a bit when you are trying to move around under there
Old 16-01-2012, 11:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissyb View Post
It's easy what is everyone complaining about you just need tea and patience, remove anything that gets in the way rather than trying to undo bolts or nuts that are hard to get too. It can just be a pain wiggling it out, but with a bit of gentle persuasion she'll come out eventually.
That be where i am goin wrong Krissy, its the Tea i am missing out on!! lol... Getting the box out is easy as pie, its putting it back in that is the nightmare for me even though i have done it 4 times (once on a ramp though), but everytime i did it,it was a nightmare and the least amount of time it has taken me is 6 hours.. YEP 6 DAMN HOURS... not good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-m View Post
ok well as you already have it out, you need a trolley jack and 2 people.
the trolley jack goes under the box. 1 person lays under the car under, the drivers seat with feet towards the front. use 1 foot to move front troley jack forwards with hands on the back of the box.
second person lays other side of the box & does all the lining up & adjusting jack height.

only problem is if you are high up on axle stands, the trolley jack wont reach. i chucked a few planks of wood under mine, which helped, but gets in teh way a bit when you are trying to move around under there
Yeah my biggest prob is doing it on my own, dont like annoying people especially in the cold..3 people would be spot on 2 is enough, but just wish it was possible for me to do it by myself...
Old 19-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Ringmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Yeah i said it the first time i did it, but that was on my mates ramp at his work.. That was not to bad, then i did someone elses on the floor and dropped the box on me, and then i did it again for myself to fit a paddel clutch and hated it, then one last time to take the paddle clutch out as i hated it and that time was the absaloute worst as i find the lining up a absaloute nightmare!!
I have changed clutches from above without removing gearbox fully.
Old 25-01-2012, 08:03 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyslayer View Post
I have changed clutches from above without removing gearbox fully.
Wish it was just the clutch i had to replace, my gearbox went bang..
Old 25-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Gold Member

How much harder is it,if at all with a centre diff?? Just for future reference???
Old 25-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by munk View Post
How much harder is it,if at all with a centre diff?? Just for future reference???
The centre diff is connected to the back of the gearbox and if you take that off I can not see it making life much easier then with the diff connected. If I have understood your question correctly munk
Old 25-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Gold Member

all i was meaning was that does having a centre diff make the removal and refittment process any longer or shorter,or neither??? over doing a box on impreza that doesnt run a dccd.....
Old 26-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

I would prob say longer buddy...
Old 27-01-2012, 08:03 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by munk View Post
all i was meaning was that does having a centre diff make the removal and refittment process any longer or shorter,or neither??? over doing a box on impreza that doesnt run a dccd.....
doesnt make a difference. all AWD impreas have a centre diff and the boxes are therefore the same size. the DCCD ones are just driver controlled centre diff's they both fit in the same part of the gearbox case which is the same size (On a classic at least). weight wise its about the same (Slightly heavier i would guess) but when you are trying to man handle it in to position, it doesnt make any difference, you still need to be built like Mr-T without the propper tools, i.e. ramps etc.
Old 27-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
you still need to be built like Mr-T without the propper tools, i.e. ramps etc.
I am far from being built like Mr T but i took the box out the other week by myself with the car on stands.....
Old 27-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

out is easier than getting it in though !!!
when are you planning to try n get the new one in ?
Old 27-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Silver Member

Agreed mate but getting it out on your own is not that fun either, trust me.. Hopefully i will be trying this weekend, will have to see how it goes.
Old 27-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Silver Member

i think your not too far from me ? so if you get stuck, i can lend a hand on sunday
will PM you my number.

i've also got no net at home atm so cant check forums till I get back to work monday/tuesday next week.
Old 27-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Silver Member

Andy you are a absaloute Diamond, i would only need help placing it up there then i would be ok on the rest, top bloke though for the offer, i may call you Sunday....
Old 30-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Silver Member

didnt get a phone call so how did you get on?
Old 30-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

All in Andy didnt want to bother you, it went in beautifully.. Thsnk you though matey..

Where's Wolly??? lol

Old 31-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Silver Member

you're f'in mad doin it solo !!!
but well done anyways

BTW, is that a rachet spanner set on the rad? think I have the same one lol
Old 31-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Gold Member

lmao @ that pic
Old 31-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
you're f'in mad doin it solo !!!
but well done anyways

BTW, is that a rachet spanner set on the rad? think I have the same one lol
Didnt do it alone, i placed the gearbox on the Jack and then by chance a mate turned up and jacked it for me.. then just got my dad to push against the engine whilst i bolted it together..

that rachet set is a godsend.. lol