South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 26-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Default Oil cooler

Been looking into oil coolers and have found what I think looks a good option and a well known manufacturer, anybody had any experiences with the Goodridge G-cool slimline?

Planning to go for braided hose (push on fittings) with the oil cooler mounted in front of the rad on the passenger side. I will get the mocal sandwich plate (not bothering to relocate the filter) with a thermostat.

Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 26-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

better of putting it in the wing ,you will get far more cooling . your welcome to have a look at it mounted there but the car is sorn . seen large temp differents since relocated from infront of the rad.
Old 26-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

Japspeed do one with braided lines etc
Old 26-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

Contact Think Automotive,this company selling Mocal/Setrab Oil cooler for good money.

Jura
Old 26-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jura11 View Post
Contact Think Automotive,this company selling Mocal/Setrab Oil cooler for good money.

Jura
where mine came from , nice poeple too
Old 26-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. J. View Post
where mine came from , nice poeple too
I brought mine for Automatic transmission from Think Automotive and Setrab Oil Cooler(engine) is from Think Automotive,as above nice people
Old 27-03-2011, 07:35 AM

How easy is it to shoehorn it into the front wing? I thought the slimline in front of the Red would get more air but guess the figures (C.J.) show otherwise.

What size have people fitted in the front wing - If I go this way I'll either go to speedflow or scoobyprojects as they are keenly priced and will send me the kit then make the hoses up to the length I require.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 27-03-2011, 08:05 AM

Been looking at some of the installs and have a couple of questions....

Tim is yours the Japspeed kit?

Generally - which way up (e.g. hoses at top or bottom) have you mounted your coolers, as I was advised that they should be at the top to prevent the extra oil they hold draining into the sump and giving an inflated reading resulting in the engine being oil starved once the oil cooler fills again.

C.J what size cooler have you fitted in the wing?
Old 27-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Mines in front of the rad, there isnt any prob with temps, sits nicely at about 80-90 even in the summer when giving it constantly
Old 27-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

I think mine is the japspeed one with remote oil filter relocation...i should have asked stew but it looks the same, he said it was a git to fit but managed it without cutting anything so does fit.
Old 27-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

25 row setrad
Old 27-03-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger View Post
Mines in front of the rad, there isnt any prob with temps, sits nicely at about 80-90 even in the summer when giving it constantly
Is yours the Spec C cooler or after-market (can never remember if yours is a Spec C or not!)

You got any pictures of how it's fitted?
Old 27-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

I'll get some photo's for you tomorrow mate, mines in the same location as a spec c, but is a mocal 25 row one i believe
Old 28-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Bronze Member

Personally I wouldn't go for push on fittings with an oil cooler, you only need 4 so the extra expense isn't much for peace of mind

WINNER - Scooby Shootout 2011 Modified Handling class

WINNER - MLR Blyton Sprint 2012 Class S2

9th Overall - Ten Of The Best 2012 handling circuit 2 points for team Subaru 22B.com

With thanks to: ASTsuspensionUK.com JollyGreenMonster.co.uk ASPerformance.com AndyForrestPerformance.co.uk SD Motorsport
Old 28-03-2011, 06:11 PM

Looks like I'll be going for the Setrad from scooby projects - just need to work out the hose lengths.

And I'm confused about which way up to mount it, it appears that if you mount them with the hose connections on the base you can get an air lock and therefore not use the whole core for cooling, also they drain when stopped and therefore make it look like you have more oil in the car than you in fact do. I'm planning to mount mine with hoses at the top - but this means removing and emptying it every time I do an oil change!
Old 28-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

another reason to mount in wing ,its lower and you fit on the side so will self vent/drain. but i know f all
Old 28-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
another reason to mount in wing ,its lower and you fit on the side so will self vent/drain. but i know f all
Know more than most of us mate

This sort of stuff confuses the hell outta me!
Old 28-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Nige

Evo's have them as std in the wing for a good reason.
Old 28-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Why not get on the phone tomorrow and ask the pro's..

Jimmy, Tone, Brent, Olly, Stewart, Alyn etc.??

Just a thought.

Job done.

Last edited by BIG"E"; 28-03-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 28-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Ive got mine in the same place as it was on my RA, if it was good enough for Autosportif and APi to put there on both builds, then its good enough for me
Old 28-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Nige

As long as it can catch air & disperse heat there should be no probs.
Old 29-03-2011, 07:12 AM

I'm most likely going for the wing unless it's a bitch to fit in which case I'll put it in front of the rad.

It's the orientation that confuses me - the main guys I've spoken to at Think Auto and Scooby Projects say upright e.g. hoses from the top so it doesn't drain back into the sump at rest - therefore making it look like you have more oil in the car than you do and causing issues once the cooler and pipework have refilled reducing the volume of oil in the sump - can be up to a litre depending on cooler size and hose lengths.

If I wing mount with top connections it's going to be a bitch to drain it during oil changes.

However lots of the install pictures show the coolers with the hose connections on the base or on the side top/bottom!
Old 29-03-2011, 09:07 AM
admin

Oil cooler can be mounted anyway up you want they are self bleeding and as such will force air out of the system however they are mounted.

It won't cause a problem with oil levels You are effectively increasing the volume of oil within the system of your car by adding a cooler. During refill, fill the car with the correct ammount of oil specified for your car. Run the car and check level. Then run the car up to temp and recheck, top up as necessary. You need to warm the car to make sure the thermo (oil)stat opens.

If you opt to fit the cooler infront of the rad. Make sure that the cooler sits flush against the rad with no gap If there is a gap make sure you use some form of ducting to seal between the cooler and rad.

Wing mounting is best because it cuts out any turbulant air and has no compensating for any reduction that positioning the cooler infront of the rad will cause to the cooling system.
Old 29-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Platinum Member

I'll just go with what the track cars go with

Old 29-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger View Post
I'll just go with what the track cars go with

Thats not an oil cooler its his fuel cooler
Old 29-03-2011, 05:55 PM
admin

Quote:
Beat me to it Isn't the oil cooler lower right vent as you look at pic?
Old 29-03-2011, 06:11 PM

Looks like it's the wing mount option - Before I bite the bullet and order are you guys with them sure you've fitted the 25 row ones in there?

Also has anybody just used a sandwich plate take off with out filter relocation and if so how low does it all end up?
Old 29-03-2011, 06:26 PM
worzel

Mine is a 25 row kit.

Check it out on the RCM website, part number RCM872

Old 29-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Havnt you got better things on your Birthday to do than correct me

Hope your having a good one
Old 29-03-2011, 07:28 PM

Worzel - that looks very narrow, I was looking at the 235 cores, maybe a narrower core then?
Old 29-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post
Looks like it's the wing mount option - Before I bite the bullet and order are you guys with them sure you've fitted the 25 row ones in there?

Also has anybody just used a sandwich plate take off with out filter relocation and if so how low does it all end up?
Its only about an inch lower mate so no probs.
Old 29-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post

as said come and have alook
used 25 row cooler ,mocal stat plate with filter in oe place
Old 29-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

RCM kits are same like selling Mocal/Setrab,really i would recommend go to Think Automotive and have ask there

Jura
Old 29-03-2011, 11:13 PM

Which width is yours CJ?