South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 22-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Silver Member

Default engine oil advice

hey chaps
im going to do an oil change this coming weekend and would like your recommendations on which oil is best suited !
the car is my95 wrx
pretty standard and clocks show 120k
it had a top end rebuild not long ago
id guess there is a little engine wear there and would like to give the best protection i can !
someone suggested a fully synthetic 10w 50 fuchs titan oil ???
id like to know what some of you oil experts recommend !
que asperformance maybe
cheers all
paul
Old 22-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

i used the 10w 50 fuchs titan oil on the last 2 oil changes. recomended
Old 22-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-m View Post
i used the 10w 50 fuchs titan oil on the last 2 oil changes. recomended
I have been using it for about 4 years or so and it seems to be doing it,s job ok.
Old 22-10-2012, 11:44 PM
Silver Member

millers 10w60 oil for me mate
Old 23-10-2012, 06:20 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Mines happy on the 10-50 Fuchs
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 23-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Authorised Trader

personally dont do Fcuhs.........

comes down to how you use/abuse your car rather than mileage IMO - min we would suggest is CFS10w40 full ester race quality synth

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 23-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Silver Member

cheers for your input everyone I think i will go with the flow on this one
fuchs 10w 50 it is !
Old 24-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Silver Member

placed an order with opie oils great prices
Old 25-10-2012, 06:18 AM

Alyn, is usually better value
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 26-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post
Alyn, is usually better value
cheers.........we do try a little.........

PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 09-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Regular User

will mobile 1 10 60 be ok?
Old 09-01-2013, 02:22 PM

Personally I'd not use a Mobile oil, I've recently moved from Fuchs Titan Race 10-50w to Millers CFS 10-50 and find the millers is giving slightly higher oil pressures than the Fuchs did at the same temps. It's also noticeably quieter on start up and the forged tapping seems to disappear faster. I will be switching further to the Millers Nano tech before the ring trip, unless Alyn persuades me to go the whole hog to the Motul.

As for grade the book oil is 5-30 if I recall correctly how tuned is your car and how hard do you drive it? If its std and driven normally you don't really need to go for that 'high' a grade oil as the oil temps won't get that high in your car and you may be better off with a 10-40w or 10-50w.

Best advice I can give is give Alyn a ring.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Silver Member

Anybody had millers off ebay?? ive seen millers on there for the £35 mark am tempted but can it be trusted? my v limeted had ebay millers and seem to be fine whats ur thoughts??
Old 09-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Regular User

ok well i have got the mobile 1 for this service but ill change it next time to lower grade , it shouldnt do it any harm should it?
Old 09-01-2013, 08:47 PM

Should be fine - just make sure you pre-fill the filter and then disconnect the crank sensor for the initial turn over to build up pressure before starting
Old 09-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Regular User

ok cheers
Old 09-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonner View Post
Anybody had millers off ebay?? ive seen millers on there for the £35 mark am tempted but can it be trusted? my v limeted had ebay millers and seem to be fine whats ur thoughts??

Millers (like everyone else) makes hundreds of different grades/ranges so to say simply "ebay millers" doesn't tell very much

we are one of the largest/longest serving Millers Motorsport dealers and will match/beat any other genuine price (although our std deals are already highly competitive) - the only time i have been beaten on price is by product that has 'left via the rear door'

online shop!!
Old 09-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

Lol when my pay check is sorted il get in touch theres a few more bits im after too!! were abouts are u based?? cheers!
Old 10-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Authorised Trader

oop north, just South of Newcastle............

do mail order worldwide so no issue

p.s. wouldn't use Mobil1, the blend and technology is so far behind the likes of Millers CFS / Motul 300v to be dinosaur eggs.........

online shop!!

Last edited by asperformance; 10-01-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Silver Member

Good stuff cheers for the heads up lookin to do gearbox n diff oils too il pm when my check clears n go from there cheers!!
Old 14-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Personally I'd not use a Mobile oil, I've recently moved from Fuchs Titan Race 10-50w to Millers CFS 10-50 and find the millers is giving slightly higher oil pressures than the Fuchs did at the same temps. It's also noticeably quieter on start up and the forged tapping seems to disappear faster. I will be switching further to the Millers Nano tech before the ring trip, unless Alyn persuades me to go the whole hog to the Motul.

As for grade the book oil is 5-30 if I recall correctly how tuned is your car and how hard do you drive it? If its std and driven normally you don't really need to go for that 'high' a grade oil as the oil temps won't get that high in your car and you may be better off with a 10-40w or 10-50w.

Best advice I can give is give Alyn a ring.

Just wondering what sort of oil pessure are getting from cold,hot,idle and steady driving ??

Last edited by Type-r-russ; 14-02-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 14-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Should be fine - just make sure you pre-fill the filter and then disconnect the crank sensor for the initial turn over to build up pressure before starting
Willthe car not fire with crank sensor unpluged ? how long do you it over for before reconnecting the sensor ?

Just asking as im going to be doing an oil change my self soon
Old 14-02-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-r-russ View Post
Just wondering what sort of oil pessure are getting from cold,hot,idle and steady driving ??
Mine sits at around 2.5 at idle at 80 degrees around 6 to 7 when driving normally (I think but I'll double check tomorrow).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-r-russ View Post
Willthe car not fire with crank sensor unpluged ? how long do you it over for before reconnecting the sensor ?

Just asking as im going to be doing an oil change my self soon
Car won't fire with crank sensor unplugged, crank until oil pressure light goes out.
Old 14-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Mine sits at around 2.5 at idle at 80 degrees around 6 to 7 when driving normally (I think but I'll double check tomorrow).

Cool mine sits at 3 on idle and the same 6-7 when driving normal

Car won't fire with crank sensor unplugged, crank until oil pressure light goes out.
Thats a big help i didnt realise you had to do this i new about filling the filter
Thanks
Old 24-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Regular User

sorry to bump a oldish thread but i have also seen alot of people saying about the halfords motorsport oil 5/50 as its the same as motul 5/50 its just re-packaged for halfords but is alot cheaper
Old 24-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Authorised Trader

wouldn't think so MOTUL dont make a 5w50....................

do you mean Mobil???

online shop!!
Old 24-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Regular User

Im only going by what others have said and they say its motul mate