South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 13-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

Default 100 cell sports cat required -any suggestions?

As above really, want to swop my decat downpipe in order to meet emissions for mot/roadside checks and wonder which is the best to buy? Currently my system is all group N TSL.

Guess I will need a remap after fitting?

Any help appreciated.

:SUBARMAN:
Old 13-03-2012, 01:45 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

I have ordered a few things from Scoobyworld recently Keith and have to say the service and quality has been excellent. I think they do a 100cell sports cat downpipe for £269.99 which they say flows almost as well as a full decat.

www.scoobyworld.co.uk
Old 13-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Silver Member

shame your not 3" as theyre going for about £220 - £230 on ebay new.
Old 13-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I have ordered a few things from Scoobyworld recently Keith and have to say the service and quality has been excellent. I think they do a 100cell sports cat downpipe for £269.99 which they say flows almost as well as a full decat.

www.scoobyworld.co.uk
Got my wheels from them many years ago and was always impressed with Scoobyworld. Thanks Steve!

Old 13-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-m View Post
shame your not 3" as theyre going for about £220 - £230 on ebay new.

Thanks Andy.

Old 14-03-2012, 08:37 AM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBARMAN View Post
Thanks Andy.

If youv'e not already done something, there is a group buy or instant buy on Snet for the same ones on Fleebay for £200 delivered. Japspped make, looks nice quality.

Will see if I can find a link, but I'm sure the search will throw it up.

link:

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/trader-anno...-delivery.html
Old 14-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Ta Rob!!

Old 14-03-2012, 10:58 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

I had one for a week or so a few years back (scoobyworld part).
Even at 300BHP I could feel the thing holding back at the top end, it changed the sound of the car just like adding a silencer and only just got through an MOT. Hence it came of and I reverted back to a decat.
Old 15-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member

Hmmmm! Thanks Scott.

As I understand it, the new MOT rules will require the presence of a cat in the car (perhaps in the boot) at the time of the MOT, if one was an OEM fitment as standard. That is not a problem. What worries me is the roadside check scenario, whereby the absence of a cat in the exhaust system might lead to a fefty fine and six points. I am not at present able to find anything about the new fine etc on any official website, so don't want to scaremonger until the position is clearer.

Old 15-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Bronze Member

I'm running a sports cat on mine with jgm map, never had any issues with emissions. Although my dad recently failed emissions with all standard cats on (apart from up pipe as Sti). Turned out to be dodgy air/fuel sensor which was then over compensated by the ecu.

My point is I guess you could blame a dodgy sensor for the high roadside reading even if you had cats on. Even by plugging in they may not be able to determine if it is the lack of cats or a dodgy sensor.

Muddy waters now....
Old 15-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonza View Post
....My point is I guess you could blame a dodgy sensor for the high roadside reading even if you had cats on. Even by plugging in they may not be able to determine if it is the lack of cats or a dodgy sensor.......
what you blame isnt the issue. its a roadside emmisions test. if you fail for whatever reason, you get a fine.

I am running the japspeed 3" sports cat. I pass my emissions test mainly because my car is a 1994 car. anything up to and including 1995 registered apparently isnt as tight on the emmissions figures.
Old 15-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Bronze Member

Mine is 2002 with just 100 cell on and passes fine. So guess I'll be ok then

I guess this means the whole question about a cat being present then is irrelevant as if it fails for reasons which are uncontrolled such as sensor, ecu issues etc then you get a fine?? I was under the impression it was a fine or a chance to rectify the issue. Bearing in mind they would need to have the set perameters for each make and model as some cars (bmw's etc) have higher allowable levels than other manufacturers.

I just hope we have no testing around this way if my sensor goes, I wouldn't have a clue if there was a problem with no codes being thrown up.
Old 15-03-2012, 09:06 PM

Lifted from one of my posts on another thread :

I'm not sure what the new regs are trying to achieve.
Any car fitted with a CAT from new (from around 1993 IIRC) needs to pass the CAT efficency test as part of the MOT.
IIRC, if it passes the standard test then all is OK, but if it marginally fails then there is a longer CAT test procedure, which it can still pass.

A car fitted with a Cat from new that doesn't have one fitted for the MOT is never going to pass this test.
So IMHO the visual check that a Cat is fitted is worthless and been blown out of proportion on alot of car forum's.

What it may be trying to achieve, which isn't clear, is that cars with multiple cats must have 'ALL' cats fitted as from new. So this would end up being more of a visual check. But the MOT info/operator would have to be pretty well clued up i.e WRX cat in up-pipe scenario ??
Old 15-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

To much worrying being done
Old 15-03-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger View Post
LOL....

I only looked into it after a work collegue mentioned it, knowing I have no Cat (and on a plus side do not produce anywhere near as much Carbon Dioxide as it would with a Cat, despite what the Tax band and 12 month tax cost me.....I'mnot bitter).
Although there is an extra clause in the MOT requirements i don't think it changes much.
Old 15-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

I've been told so many times by people my front plate isn't legal... Been pulled by vosa and they didn't say a word, they was checking vans emissions at the time and didn't even check my emissions but did me for being to loud
Old 16-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Silver Member

when roadside emmissions were mentioned in this thread, I did a bit of searching on the net.
if you go here and scroll down and download the "Roadside Emissions Testing - summary of findings" which is the results from 2002 to 2004 testing, it states the following:-

"During the period 2002 to 2004, approximately 25,196 roadside emission tests were undertaken through local authority activities"

"The lowest failure rates were associated with petrol catalyst equipped vehicles (3%), while the highest overall failure rates were associated with the non-catalyst equipped petrol cars (8%). Failure rates amongst diesel vehicles were also high at between 6% and 7%. For those manufacturers with sufficient sample sizes, the highest failure rates were associated with Rover and Lada. However, these samples were dominated by relatively old vehicles and models. LTI and Metrocab, both major suppliers of UK taxis, show average failure rates of 24%. Failure rates for taxis overall were a major concern, given their high mileage and urban concentration."
Old 16-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Hope you are right James.

I am happy to risk a £60 fine and "get a new MOT done" under the current rules. Risking a £1,000 fine and six points (those are the figures I have been told, but are unconfirmed) is a bit of a different risk, to me anyway.

That scenario might occur if the car failed the emissions at the roadside and they noted that there was no cat present within the exhaust system, where there should be at least one. If it failed but there was a cat in the system, then I might get a small fine and "get a new MOT" as is currently the case.

Hope some clarification comes along soon.

Maybe someone does a sports cat centre pipe?

Old 16-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

Are they going to get under the car to check for a cat.... The down pipe one isn't the easiest to get to with a hot engine bay to check
Old 16-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Are they going to get under the car to check for a cat.... The down pipe one isn't the easiest to get to with a hot engine bay to check
That's a fair point James. I don't know what lengths they are likely to go to - might take the rear seats out I suppose? Check the fangle dangle is still connected to the trunnion bush? The VOSA people would need to be well qualified for that. Perhaps they have a sniffer dog?

AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

I've been serious for too long this session!

Old 16-03-2012, 08:12 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBARMAN View Post
That's a fair point James. I don't know what lengths they are likely to go to - might take the rear seats out I suppose? Check the fangle dangle is still connected to the trunnion bush? The VOSA people would need to be well qualified for that. Perhaps they have a sniffer dog?

AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

I've been serious for too long this session!

Thats put my mind at rest. There are no trunnion bushes on a newage so we should be fine. They replaced them with unilateral spangle bolts so no worries there. I can explain that to VOSA when they stop me.
Old 17-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Thats put my mind at rest. There are no trunnion bushes on a newage so we should be fine. They replaced them with unilateral spangle bolts so no worries there. I can explain that to VOSA when they stop me.

LOL! Yes I have a sheet of paper to spout at them, saying my yardle cream is out of date, and that's why there is no visible parrot in the system, among other things. This will ensure I am sectioned on the spot.