South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 03-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Gold Member

Default help with coolant loss please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Guys
Any ideas noticed a few days ago that my coolant level was low topped it up,checked again before going to goodwood and it was empty again and then when coming back it was empty again,and the same again this morning its taking about half a kettle of water to fill up,i have no water at all in the oil checked and checked again,its not wet around cap or any steam coming from that,have no leaks that i can see anywhere on the garage floor after parking up,checked inside incase heater matrix leaking etc and all carpets dry,car is driving absolutely fine all gauges showing there normal temperatures etc,had the car ticking over for about 15 mins this morning and couldnt see any leaks,waited till it cooled down and the level still the same, so presume it is only leaking when under pressure..... but any other ideas what to look for????????

Thanks very much!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Crowman

Hi Mate
I had very same with my scoob, the rads are very prone to splitting on the plastic end tanks, only leak under pressure and mine was very hard to find as it was evaporating.
I took rad out and checked the end tanks/caps found crack about 2 inches long.
I was thinking the worst, thought it had to be head gasket as no water was visibly leaking.
Give the rad a really good check both ends.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Gold Member

hi thanks for reply it has an uprated pace radiator thats only a couple of years old but will have another good look at that,also looking back at history head gasket was replaced 20k ago.
Thanks
Dave

Last edited by bigemp; 03-07-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Crowman

OH, well the rad should be perfectly ok as pace are quality.
What sort of quantity of water are you having to put in it, are we talking a few litres?
Does it still run fine and does it still run the same temperature, not overheating?
Mine used to loose a good couple of litres on a run, but if you got under the car to look for leaks there was no sign at all,i guess it was just acting like a kettle and boiling water out of the crack.
Other option is to have a coolant sysytem pressure check done, cheap and easy for a garage to do.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
OH, well the rad should be perfectly ok as pace are quality.
What sort of quantity of water are you having to put in it, are we talking a few litres?
Does it still run fine and does it still run the same temperature, not overheating?
Mine used to loose a good couple of litres on a run, but if you got under the car to look for leaks there was no sign at all,i guess it was just acting like a kettle and boiling water out of the crack.
Other option is to have a coolant sysytem pressure check done, cheap and easy for a garage to do.
must be putting a good 1 litre of water in everytime. no car is not overheating at all and running perfectly,yes i think a coolant pressure check is next step.

Thanks very much dave