South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 24-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Bronze Member

Default Remapping WRX with PPP

Hello, another question... sorry...

I remember reading something recently about remapping a WRX bugeye which had PPP... Did Prodrive used ECUTEK software for their mapping of this year and does this mean that it would have a license etc??? As this would mean that the costs of mapping would be lower I presume (depending on who you go to)...

I am contemplating having mine mapped at some point in the near future and not having much knowledge of the bugeye's, would ask for your kind assistance in advising what are the most obvious mods etc to use... I.e. what turbo they currently run, what to change to etc.. so a shopping list really... lol

I suppose a healthy 330 would be nice (350 would be superb), but I don't intend on pushing it too far as I use the car as a daily driver and intend on keeping reliability top priority.

Also, does fitting anything such as top mounts etc require remaps or would they run safely (just with no additional benefits without a map?) I know turbos, injectors etc would be a different ball game...

Many thanks in advance.

Rich
Old 24-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Default Re: Remapping WRX with PPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonza
Hello, another question... sorry...

I remember reading something recently about remapping a WRX bugeye which had PPP... Did Prodrive used ECUTEK software for their mapping of this year and does this mean that it would have a license etc??? As this would mean that the costs of mapping would be lower I presume (depending on who you go to)...

I am contemplating having mine mapped at some point in the near future and not having much knowledge of the bugeye's, would ask for your kind assistance in advising what are the most obvious mods etc to use... I.e. what turbo they currently run, what to change to etc.. so a shopping list really... lol

I suppose a healthy 330 would be nice (350 would be superb), but I don't intend on pushing it too far as I use the car as a daily driver and intend on keeping reliability top priority.

Also, does fitting anything such as top mounts etc require remaps or would they run safely (just with no additional benefits without a map?) I know turbos, injectors etc would be a different ball game...

Many thanks in advance.

Rich
If it's a 2001/2002 model then it was not remapped but fitted with a boost clamp/GEMS daughterboard.
simple removal of this and rejoining of the MAP sensor wire in the ECU and it can be remapped.

If it is later then it will use ECUTEK, but depending on year, depends whether it will be locked to ECUTEK.

I think the locking only came into effect in 2005> as I have just remapped a 2002 STi car that had a TSL 333 remap. Not sure when the TSL 333 was applied to this car but it would of used ECUTEK, it didn't stop me getting in there and remapping (license free).
Old 24-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Bronze Member

Hiya, The car was registered on xmas eve december 2002 would you beleive... and the PPP was put on when it had 11 miles on the clock. I guess the way forward would be to have a go really?? Would it be possible to pm me with costs etc so I can budget for it, such as with or without license etc... I'm looking at getting the STI top mount, I have already fitted a staright through centre and TSL back box, and might be picking up a sports cat downpipe this weekend lo. So was wondering if this lot would require a map and what sort of gains might I be looking at over the PPP, driveability etc.

Many thanks again for your help.

Rich
Old 24-09-2008, 01:18 PM

2002 will definatly be do-able, just need to remove the GEM's daughterboard, which you could then sell on ebay or keep to return back to PPP.
The mods you describe would be quite safe on a regular WRX but due to the PPP I would advise caution, not trying to scare you but it's mainly due to the boost already being raised to around 1.1bar and with whats considered now to be a rather crude method in using a boost clamp/boot limit modification. From all accounts the early PPP was bit of a rush job by Prodrive in order to get to market something with more power due to the delay in the release of the STi.
Old 24-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Bronze Member

Oh right...

I think I may hold off putting the other bits on then until I'm ready for the map. In the meantime, I might just gather a selection of goodies...

Would the back box and center I have on be ok to run with at the moment providing I omit the urge to bolt more on?

Thanks...

Rich
Old 24-09-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonza
Oh right...

I think I may hold off putting the other bits on then until I'm ready for the map. In the meantime, I might just gather a selection of goodies...

Would the back box and center I have on be ok to run with at the moment providing I omit the urge to bolt more on?

Thanks...

Rich
Back box and centre will be fine as the PPP comes with it's own versions anyway. I would advise against an induction kit or decat downpipe until closer to the remap time.