South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:57 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Default What next.....

So, after an agonisingly long wait, twins born, a house move and two 'sensible' leased cars later the time is getting nearer. At the end of the year (well January) my Merc goes back and I need a new car. Whatever I seem to look at, even new cars like the golf R, Civic R and focus RS, which I could lease/PCP, I keep coming back to scoobs. Plus I cant get my head around spending £30,000 odd for it to be worth £15,000 in 3 or 4 years time. I don't want to lease anymore as I want to own a car again and the leased ones never really feel mine feel mine. Depending on what I go for I have the option of having a 'cheapy' lease deal for day to day or even something like an 07 plate cooper S which would also be fun as a day to day. So the scoob wouldn't necessarily need to be an everyday car. Plus I now have a garage back to house it in!

So, here is the list I've compiled. It's just which one to go for...........

RB320
Those who know me also know I've had a soft spot. Down sides are still the engines, but then my STI didn't cause me any issues. Good ones are now £15000/£17000.

WR1
Still like these and the fact that they are limited like the RB's mean they are holding their money and could become a future classic. Even in Baby blue

S204
There are a couple being advertised around £15k though for some reason haven't sold so not sure if there is something wrong with them?. Look fantastic though and those seats......................

P1
Always liked them and as a 2nd car are very tempting particularly when I look at Munks/Tims/Daves!. If it was 6 months down the line I think this would be really tempting. Stunning car.

Fozzy STI
Now, this is probably the most appealing to me as I've had the Blobs/hawks and these are a bit more 'grown up'. Plus, this could be used as a day to day easily, negating the need for a cheapy lease deal and it'll get my bike in the back and all the kids sh... err.. stuff. Looking on PH and autotrader there are a couple of facelifted (it would have to be) ones about, I guess its just finding a good one.

HATCH STI...but the saloon, if you see what I mean.
Never a huge fan if I'm honest but in the right colour and spec do look nice. More modern generally apart from the choccy engine, though I could look for a forged one.

Anything else I should be looking at?
Or any pointers on the above?

I've just taken delivery of a nice big Polished bliss order in readiness lol
Old 02-08-2016, 06:08 PM
Gold Member

Nice problem to have Steve. Must say I did like your back hawk.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:13 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Thanks Terry. That was a mistake a selling that (as many people said at the time lol). It suited me at the time to sell it but looking back I wish I had kept it, even 4 and half years later.

How's the new one?. I bet its any excuse for a drive at the moment!!!
Old 02-08-2016, 06:32 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

You've always wanted an RB..

But you know what my choice would be..
Old 02-08-2016, 06:48 PM
Gold Member

Buy a FSTi.

I've had mine five and a half years and done over 50k miles in it. I've never kept a car as long as this before and I'm considering buying another with fewer miles as I cannot find anything that will actually rival it in the real world.

It's lacking creature comforts and doesn't return brilliant mpg, but I don't care about that!

Mine is standard power and still enjoyable to drive. It surprises people consistently on the road as it has enough get up and go and handles well with only a few minor tweaks to standard.

It's such a shame that no newer versions were made as I'd buy a newer one of it was if the same ilk.

I'm also considering the WRX STi sedan (not the latest one) but I like having an estate. If there was a Levorg STi with a manual box that didn't need importing, I'd buy one. As it is, they're JDM and have the bloody CVT. I can't be doing with that!

How about a R205?
Old 02-08-2016, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

test drive them all and find out steve. The rb320 will hold its value the best I think. I also thhink the s204 looks very nice with the spoiler wheels and seats
need someone to come and look at them? count me in
Old 02-08-2016, 07:08 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

RB320. You have always wanted one, will hold value, looks like a proper scoob, and will feel a little special and something you will pamper/polish and fettle with and something that won't take a beating as it's not trying to do 2 different jobs.

For me personally and its taken over 10+ years and many, many cars to realise it, but its does need to be 2 different cars to do 2 separate jobs. 1 for doing miles, very practical that's still semi fun that you don't mind taking a bashing and picking up a few marks etc,etc, and another car that makes you feel special for special occasions that only needs to be used when you decide its right to use it and where it gets parked.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:36 PM

I think it's always nice to try for something a bit different when you have an opportunity for a fresh start. My vote would be for the RB320, and that's an already sorted car you could love and polish every sunny weekend.

Are you wanting something you can tweak and modify or just something too look after and drive on specific occasions? You might find buying a more specific and sought after model will deter you from wanting to tweak and change it.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:55 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEvo5 View Post
For me personally and its taken over 10+ years and many, many cars to realise it, but its does need to be 2 different cars to do 2 separate jobs. 1 for doing miles, very practical that's still semi fun that you don't mind taking a bashing and picking up a few marks etc,etc, and another car that makes you feel special for special occasions that only needs to be used when you decide its right to use it and where it gets parked.
This. As much as a great all rounder a Foz STI would be, you want it to be properly special. And if its serving as a daily as well, you'll always be worried about leaving it parked down tescos etc.

You've been drooling over RB320s for years mate.... put one in the garage and get a cheaper daily for everyday stuff.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:09 PM
Gold Member

if i had the choice between these it would end up rb and wr1, and think the wr1 would win, have driven rb320 and wr1, engine worries alone would put me back in the baby blue one...or i could always hold on to the p1 for you..
Old 02-08-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banstead Stig View Post
Buy a FSTi.

I've had mine five and a half years and done over 50k miles in it. I've never kept a car as long as this before and I'm considering buying another with fewer miles as I cannot find anything that will actually rival it in the real world.

It's lacking creature comforts and doesn't return brilliant mpg, but I don't care about that!

Mine is standard power and still enjoyable to drive. It surprises people consistently on the road as it has enough get up and go and handles well with only a few minor tweaks to standard.

It's such a shame that no newer versions were made as I'd buy a newer one of it was if the same ilk.

I'm also considering the WRX STi sedan (not the latest one) but I like having an estate. If there was a Levorg STi with a manual box that didn't need importing, I'd buy one. As it is, they're JDM and have the bloody CVT. I can't be doing with that!

How about a R205?
Cheers. Its yours and the hearse that have always grabbed my attention. They are such a good allrounder and the fact that you don't see any and no-one knows what they are is nice.

Its funny you say about the newer models. I have looked. There was a rumour about a 2014 Foz STi but it didn't seem to happen.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi View Post
test drive them all and find out steve. The rb320 will hold its value the best I think. I also thhink the s204 looks very nice with the spoiler wheels and seats
need someone to come and look at them? count me in
Great Tim. I'll let you know as soon as I go looking. Hope you are well, its been ages!.

Steve
Old 02-08-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEvo5 View Post
RB320. You have always wanted one, will hold value, looks like a proper scoob, and will feel a little special and something you will pamper/polish and fettle with and something that won't take a beating as it's not trying to do 2 different jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NL03Scooby View Post
I think it's always nice to try for something a bit different when you have an opportunity for a fresh start. My vote would be for the RB320, and that's an already sorted car you could love and polish every sunny weekend.

Are you wanting something you can tweak and modify or just something too look after and drive on specific occasions? You might find buying a more specific and sought after model will deter you from wanting to tweak and change it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
This. As much as a great all rounder a Foz STI would be, you want it to be properly special. And if its serving as a daily as well, you'll always be worried about leaving it parked down tescos etc.

You've been drooling over RB320s for years mate.... put one in the garage and get a cheaper daily for everyday stuff.

RB is looking favourite then. I won't moan at that lol. You are all right though, for me pampering it is as big a part as driving it!. When I used the other scoobs for work I was forever getting scrapes and scratches out which I think in hindsight was part of the reason for selling it.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:34 PM

Actually, I forgot one option:

A T25. Either blob or Hawk are nice.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NL03Scooby View Post

Agreed. The limited models should stay original. It will be used mainly weekends, and of course to get back to some of the meets and pick up from where I left off. Cant wait.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
You've always wanted an RB..

But you know what my choice would be..
Ha Ha. I knew what you would say.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:09 PM

Spec c hawk, type Ra-r if you can find one > everything else

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:47 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

There's a file on my laptop that would work well in an RB320
Old 02-08-2016, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Rb320 all day if its a uk or a JDM black hawk spec c .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 02-08-2016, 10:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Cheers. Its yours and the hearse that have always grabbed my attention. They are such a good allrounder and the fact that you don't see any and no-one knows what they are is nice.

Its funny you say about the newer models. I have looked. There was a rumour about a 2014 Foz STi but it didn't seem to happen.
Thanks. Mine is looking it's age a bit now. It's the daily use woes that have been mentioned above! I love the anonymity. I was hooked very early on when a Porsche driver couldn't shake me off. His face was priceless.

There is a SJ "FSTi", but it is a tS not a proper STi. It also has a CVT rather than a manual box. Such a disappointment as there was a huge fuss made about the announcement, but such a damp squib in the end. It's got some nice trinkets and better brakes and suspension, but engine wise, it's a XT.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...-r/5771373?v=c

Also Hurst cars did have 2 ,the lower mileage one is sold now.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

S203, S204 or RA-R would be my first choices

or spec-c as closest runner up........

All the above are the rarest/ most desireable and will only appreciate imo

FSTi if you want something to do a little more like get a bike in and they seem to command higher prices than imprezas?

Porsche or BM

Last edited by thepieman; 03-08-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepieman View Post
S203, S204 or RA-R would be my first choices

or spec-c as closest runner up........

All the above are the rarest/ most desireable and will only appreciate imo

FSTi if you want something to do a little more like get a bike in and they seem to command higher prices than imprezas?

Porsche or BM
Hi Mate,

Hope you are well. You are right about Foz prices, but they are a lot of car.

Porsche - was on the list but, would have to be a manual, have to be a 997 and have to be a 4s which means £25 -£30 for a decent one and I'm not sure I want to pile that much into a car at the moment. Plus, the Gen 2 seem a lot more reliable than a Gen 1 997 so even more money. Also I could still do with 4 doors really.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginola View Post
Spec c hawk, type Ra-r if you can find one > everything else
RA-R would be my suggestion as well, though I think one would cost more than anything else on the list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banstead Stig
Buy a FSTi.
Oh change the record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banstead Stig
How about a R205?
I never thought the R205 got as much love as it deserved: I prefer it to the S204!
Old 03-08-2016, 07:57 PM
Gold Member

In
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Oh change the record.
You'll get it at some point Steve... you've already got your DIY projects on the go. Just wait until you need to start shifting stuff about. Jamie will want a bigger and/or more dogs. Suddenly the FSTi will make sense

With age comes great wisdom.

Anyway, it was Lucky that bought it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I never thought the R205 got as much love as it deserved: I prefer it to the S204!
Agreed, I really like it. I nearly bought one a couple of years ago.