South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > Events & Meets > The Ring Zone

The Ring Zone The area for the Annual S.E.S Ring Trip. Plus all the information you will ever need on the infamous Nurburgring.

Old 31-05-2015, 04:01 PM
SES Catering & Picnic Services

Default The all important Schnitzel

Move this to where is best on the forum but thought after it's popularity and some will be still craving... I would share this.

In Germany, Schnitzel is usually made of pork, although turkey and veal are also common. These days it is usually served with French fries, potato mash, or wedge potatoes although traditionally it is Spaetzle (the highly popular and beloved egg noodles from the Swabia region of southwest Germany).

The dish has been extremely popular since the end of the Second World War.
In German-speaking countries, the term Schnitzel means cutlets in general, not just breaded, fried ones.

Jägerschnitzel (hunter’s schnitzel) is a schnitzel with mushroom sauce.

Münchner Schnitzel (Munich schnitzel) is a variation on the Wiener Schnitzel prepared with horseradish and/or mustard before coating in flour, egg and bread crumbs.

Naturschnitzel (natural schnitzel) is a peppered and salted schnitzel with no sauce or only a simple sauce (e.g., pan drippings, to which sour cream may be added).(recipe below)

Rahmschnitzel (cream schnitzel) is a schnitzel with a cream sauce, often containing some mushrooms.(recipe below)

Vegetarisches Schnitzel (vegetarian schnitzel) is a meatless pattie made from soy, tofu, or seitan.

Wiener Schnitzel (Viennese schnitzel) is a veal schnitzel thinned with a meat tenderizer, dusted with flour, battered with beaten eggs, and coated with bread crumbs and then fried.

Zigeunerschnitzel (gypsy schnitzel) is a schnitzel with a sauce containing tomato, bell peppers, and onion slices. This schnitzel is also called Paprikaschnitzel (bell pepper schnitzel).

http://www.daringgourmet.com/2014/03...ork-schnitzel/

Prep time -10 mins
Cook time -6 mins whilst drinking German Beer and singing German songs
Total time -16 mins
Eating Time - INSTANT

Serves: 4 or maybe 1 hungry man

Ingredients
  • 4 boneless pork chops
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • ½ cup allpurpose
  • flour combined with 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • ¾ cup plain breadcrumbs

Instructions

1. Place the pork chops between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound them until just ¼ inch thick with the flat side of a meat tenderizer. Lightly season both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

2. Place the flour mixture, egg, and breadcrumbs in 3 separate shallow bowls. Dip the chops in the flour, the egg, and the breadcrumbs, coating both sides and all edges at each stage. Be careful not to press the breadcrumbs into the meat. Gently shake off the excess crumbs. Don't let the schnitzel sit in the coating or they will not be as crispy once fried fry immediately.

3. Make sure the cooking oil is hot enough at this point (about 330 degrees F) as you don't want the Schnitzel to sit around in the coating before frying. Use enough oil so that the Schnitzels "swim" in it.

4. Fry the Schnitzel for about 2-3 minutes on both sides until a deep golden brown. Transfer briefly to a plate lined with paper towels.

5. Serve immediately with slices of fresh lemon and parsley sprigs or with your choice of sauce. Serve with German Spaetzle, French fries, or German potato salad, and with a (fresh leafy green salad ( I know it looks pretty ok?)).

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

Geschnetzletes or Rahmschnitzel (Creamy Hunter's Sauce)
Prep time -5 mins
Cook time -25 mins
Total time -20 mins

Geschnetzeltes or Rahmschnitzel is a popular German dish for the busy cook. A creamy sauce with mushrooms and onions, it is traditionally served with Schnitzel, spaetzle, egg noodles, or potatoes.

Serves: 4

Ingredients
  • 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 8 oz fresh white button mushrooms, sliced
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon sweet paprika powder
  • 2 beef bouillon cubes
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Spaetzle, homemade or purchased and cooked according to package directions.
  • Or 1 (16 oz) package egg noodles cooked according to package directions.
  • Instructions

1. Heat the oil in a stainless steel skillet over medium-high heat and add the onions to the skillet and saute until translucent and beginning to brown, about 5-7 minutes.

2. Add the mushrooms and saute until tender, about 5 minutes and set aside.

3. Melt the butter in the skillet and whisk in the flour, continuing to whisk until the mixture is a rich caramel brown.

4. Add the milk and heavy cream, whisking continually, until the mixture is smooth and thickened. Add the paprika and crumble in the beef bouillon and whisk until smooth.

5. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add more milk if the sauce is too thick, or add a flour slurry to thicken.

Serve immediately with Schnitzel, hot spaetzle or egg noodles and a fresh green salad.

Last edited by The Handbrake; 01-06-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 31-05-2015, 04:11 PM

You should send this directly to Si & Jo!
Old 31-05-2015, 04:13 PM

It may help the hits to our SES website though hehehe, aye mainly by Ian, Jo and Simon I think hehehe
Old 31-05-2015, 04:18 PM

Old 31-05-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Handbrake View Post

You nearly forgot that important bit...burger!
Old 31-05-2015, 06:50 PM

That recipe is for a half portion! I need more, atleast I have 40 bottles of Bitburger here to help me through.

Oh I miss the Schnitzel.
Old 31-05-2015, 07:13 PM

This Schnitzel at the cockpit.. YOM!, I had it a few times through the week.. Free wifi!!

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 31-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

mmmmmm making me hungry now!
Old 01-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Bronze Member

Currywurst now your talking.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:46 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Handbrake View Post
Vegetarisches Schnitzel (vegetarian schnitzel) is a meatless pattie made from soy, tofu, or seitan.
*Meatless*? Does not compute....

I find it hard to believe there are any vegetarians in Germany!

I think my favourite meal on the 'Ring trip is always wurst, chips and mayo at Brunchen. Mmmmmmm
Old 02-06-2015, 12:15 PM

look guys and gals its not my lunchtime yet and you are making me very hungry !!!!!

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 02-06-2015, 01:17 PM

Made the one with the hunters sauce last night with a bottle of Bitburger. Lush
Old 01-09-2015, 04:29 PM
Bronze Member

Going to Germany next week, will seek out some of this!