South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 13-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Bronze Member

Default Change Powertec for k&n?

My 2002 wrx has a Powertec sl1 cold air induction system, was just wondering if I changed it for a k&n57i or hks mushroom would I see any benefit, don't want to spend the money not to see any gains, I know some will suggest going back to original airbox but car has been remapped for cold air induction so want to stick to this system, car also has decat exhaust and dump valve, thanks, Robin
Old 13-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

if you chnge to a different air filter it needs a check at the very least
Old 13-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Post up some piccies would be the best thing.

I assume the powertec comes with it's own 70mm MAF tube.
How does the MAF tube mount to the filter, via an alluminium cone or via a bolted flange.
If a bolted flange, is this removable from the filter.
regardless of fitement to the MAF tube you need to remove the filter and measure the flange diameter.

The largest K&N flange from the universal range is 152mm http://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/univcone.aspx

152mm flange diameter http://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/pr...x?Prod=RC-5107

I reviewed using a K&N universal with an Ally trumpet, but I couldn't find a suitable universal filter and trumpet combination.

There is a 160mm K&N but only available from RCM and you pay about another £40 preimum for that. Which I ended up doing in the end along with an ebay 160mm trumpet, see http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/v...?t=7782&page=3 , post No. 103 & 105
Old 13-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Bronze Member

Silversurfer thanks for all the info, Maf tube is bolted to the filter, will look into photo's, main thing I notice on your pics (apart from v nice looking car) is on your underbonnet photo you still have the factory original under bonnet air intake plastic section, on my car that has been removed, should I get one? Surely it would help draw more air in?
Old 13-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinmgb View Post
Silversurfer thanks for all the info, Maf tube is bolted to the filter, will look into photo's, main thing I notice on your pics (apart from v nice looking car) is on your underbonnet photo you still have the factory original under bonnet air intake plastic section, on my car that has been removed, should I get one? Surely it would help draw more air in?
If your not drawing/ducting air in from the bumper/fog light intake then it's worth having the underbonnet ones still in place.

I may run both at some point.
Old 14-07-2012, 07:03 AM
Bronze Member

No sign of drawing any air from fog light intake as the cars got fog lights fitted, I'll buy an underbonnet intake asap, many thanks again
Old 14-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Bronze Member

Looking at it I've changed my mind, just going to put standard intake system back on the car, only decision now is which panel filter, Cosworth, K&N, Green or Pipercross Pro R?
Old 14-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Silver Member

hello mate have heard that the green panel filters are pretty good mate.
Old 14-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

All the cotton ones are much the same
Old 14-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Authorised Trader

K&N or Green IMO............

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 22-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Bronze Member

Went for the Pro R, so pleased, car has much more pull/power, difference is very noticeable, standard air intake is so much better, just wonder why do people mess about fitting induction systems when clearly it just doesn't suit the car at all!