South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 23-02-2021, 02:53 AM
Regular User

Default Worth the effort?

Hi all,

So there's the possibility I may be able to get a 2012 STI rolling shell for scrap value or maybe free from a very good friend who has no space for it.

However I'm wondering if it would even be worth botheringg with it and getting an engine and box fitted? The gearbox/engine/wiring/cooling/pipes etc.. have all been removed and I'm thinking the cost of all the little bits and pieces as well as a complete engine and gearbox and labour would it be more sensible just to buy a 2012 STI ?

I'm quite familiar with the prices of rebuilds and repairs etc... But have no idea what something like this could end up costing??? The main thing drawing me to it is the lovely purple colour of the shell haha
Old 23-02-2021, 06:48 PM
Gold Member

I'am certainly no expert,but I spent a lot of money turning a WRX into an STI, dread to think how much I spent. Then I just brought a brand new STi. Mind you I'am no mechanic, good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 24-02-2021, 05:12 PM
Bronze Member

I'm looking for a new shell as mine need sills and rear arches doing, thought it might be easier to get a new shell and then get a cage welded in. Then put all my stuff in the new shell. Everything has to come out anyway for the cage lol
Old 25-02-2021, 12:06 PM
Authorised Trader

ultimately why is it just a 'shell' and how cheap is it once you start to add all of the parts required??
if you can do the work (some of ??) yourself then it can be very cost effective but would guess if your having to pay someone else to complete then its likely not realistic??

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 25-02-2021, 12:31 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

What would you do with the car afterwards? If you were building it to a track car, caging it etc then it probably makes sense.

If you want to make it a standard road car, then i personallyh can't see it being worth the effort - the time and money sucked up in dash, full interior etc will probably be too high.
Old 25-02-2021, 02:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperformance View Post
ultimately why is it just a 'shell' and how cheap is it once you start to add all of the parts required??
if you can do the work (some of ??) yourself then it can be very cost effective but would guess if your having to pay someone else to complete then its likely not realistic??
That's what I was thinking.

Labour to completely fit it out would be a killer!
Old 26-02-2021, 12:18 PM
Regular User

Thanks for all your replies. Yes considering everything I've decided to leave it be. I wouldn't have enough space or time to do the work myself and paying someone else would mean by the end of it I might as well have gone and bought a straight 2012 STI. I agree for a track day car it would be perfect as you don't need interior or even matching year engine/boxes/ecu etc.. but as I wanted it for road usage I feel it's best to save up and buy a straight car instead (one day haha) .